Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A# Confusion!

A# Confusion!

Old Jul 11th 2001, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Andy4M is an unknown quantity at this point

This is something I'm definitely going to have to call the INS about, but in the meantime does anyone have any ideas?

There seems to been a mistake somewhere about my A#- the one printed on my K1 visa is different (by one digit- an 8 instead of a 5)to the one the Immigration Officer wrote on the back of my I-94 at the POE, and tt's this number- the one with the 5 that's on my 90 day EAD (as that was the number I put on the EAD application form).

Now, as I'm gathering all the things I will need for AOS, I've seen the I-797 Notice of Action, and the A# on there is the one with the 5 as well!

As I said, I will need to call the INS about this, but am I right in thinking the A# on the K1 visa should be the same as that on the I-797? My guess is the Consulate made a mistake on the visa, I just hope it's not going to cause any problems for the AOS...

Andy
Old Jul 11th 2001, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Andy4M is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I managed to get through to the INS quicker than I thought I would! I called the National Customer Service Centre number (1-800-375-5283), spoke to someone there who transfered me to an Immigration Officer, who checked the A numbers, and told me the one on my K1 visa is wrong, but that it won't cause any problems for the AOS.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? It might be an idea if people getting K1 visa checked the A# against that on the I-797 to be sure it's correct...

Andy
Old Jul 11th 2001, 11:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I was right but doubled checked Jim's passport. The A# is not on the K-1 Visa from the US Consulate, at least not on Jim's. The only place it appears in his passport is handwritten under the stamped "admitted until" which the INS examiner placed in his passport at the POE. And yes, it should match the A# number on the I-797.

Rita

Yup always scruntize the K-1 Visa before leaving the Consulate. Errors occur as people are human. Jim's has my middle name misspelled but thankfully it didn't hinder successful AOS.