British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Confused on what visa I should get. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/confused-what-visa-i-should-get-749104/)

Alex86 Feb 20th 2012 4:09 pm

Confused on what visa I should get.

Hi, I'm a Dental Surgery BDS graduate of the years 2006-2011. I have wanted to move to the state of Texas since a young age as I went on many holidays with my family to visit family friends.

I have no current work experience except for 2 years part-time completed within university.

I am enquiring about what visas I should look at now, as I want to live there permanently and work. I have £180,000 ($285,000 USD) in money. I would also like to work full time and live a normal life. I don't want to live there temporarily or invest my money in a business. Please please please help:( :huh: i've looked at the visas but i'm confused about which one to get

ian-mstm Feb 20th 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Confused on what visa I should get.

Originally Posted by Alex86 (Post 9911450)
I am enquiring about what visas I should look at now, as I want to live there permanently and work.

These are two separate issues and must be treated as such. The first step would be finding a US company willing to sponsor you for a visa. The second step, which takes place once you're inside the US and if the company is willing, is to sponsor you for permanent residency. In neither case, is it something you can do by yourself without the company's involvement. So... start at the beginning. Read this, and determine if there's a visa that fits with what you want to do.

I don't want to live there temporarily or invest my money in a business.
Well, if that's the case, then you either find a US employer willing to sponsor you... or you marry a US citizen of the opposite sex!

Ian

Alex86 Feb 20th 2012 4:42 pm

it's all just one big headache! haha

how would i go about getting an american employer to sponsor me?:fingerscrossed:

Nutmegger Feb 20th 2012 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Alex86 (Post 9911491)
i

how would i go about getting an american employer to sponsor me?:fingerscrossed:

Go to work in your profession in the UK and build up an enticing resume that would make it seem worthwhile for a prospective employer to spend thousands of dollars in filing and legal fees in order to secure your services.

ian-mstm Feb 20th 2012 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Alex86 (Post 9911491)
it's all just one big headache!

It's no secret that the US is one of the most difficult countries to get to as anything other than a visitor.

Well, there aren't any lists of sponsoring companies - so don't bother looking. There are plenty of visa agencies that'll promise you a visa in exchange for your money... but they're all scams.

How do you get a US employer to sponsor? First - you create a US-style resume; second - you apply for jobs; and third - you pray really hard!

Ian

Alex86 Feb 20th 2012 4:57 pm

My childhood dentist has offered me a job on contract for 3 years and he would be able to prepare me for post-graduate dentistry (I'm looking at Orthodontics), if after I've finished my orthodontics course in the UK, would I be able to apply for a tonne of dentistry jobs in America:D? Before I apply for the jobs, would I have to apply for a visa or in what order would i need to do what?

Nutmegger Feb 20th 2012 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Alex86 (Post 9911514)
Before I apply for the jobs, would I have to apply for a visa or in what order would i need to do what?

Before you do anything, you do your research -- a good place to start would be the very helpful link that Ian gave you back in reply no. 2.

sir_eccles Feb 20th 2012 5:25 pm

My childhood dentist has offered me a job on contract for 3 years and he would be able to prepare me for post-graduate dentistry (I'm looking at Orthodontics), if after I've finished my orthodontics course in the UK, would I be able to apply for a tonne of dentistry jobs in America:D? Before I apply for the jobs, would I have to apply for a visa or in what order would i need to do what?

You may want to look up the appropriate professional associations, e.g. American Dental Association (there are others) to see what qualifications you need in the US and if your UK qualifications are sufficient. You would probably also need state certification. Bear in mind there are many people graduating from dental schools every year in the US who can go to work the next day without the added cost of a visa.

dogloverus Feb 20th 2012 6:30 pm

ok well you need to know one thing first your dental degree is not recognised in the US and to get it recognised as equivalent will take 2 years studying at a US faculty of dentistry.

Google - you will find dental schools offering these schemes. The fees are $50k a year so 100k gone straightaway.

Sorry but with just your BDS degree no dental employer in the US will touch you with a bargepole even if you are a GC/Citizen!

SanDiegogirl Feb 20th 2012 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Alex86 (Post 9911450)
Hi, I'm a Dental Surgery BDS graduate of the years 2006-2011. I have wanted to move to the state of Texas since a young age as I went on many holidays with my family to visit family friends.

I have no current work experience except for 2 years part-time completed within university.

I am enquiring about what visas I should look at now, as I want to live there permanently and work. I have £180,000 ($285,000 USD) in money. I would also like to work full time and live a normal life. I don't want to live there temporarily or invest my money in a business. Please please please help:( :huh: i've looked at the visas but i'm confused about which one to get

What have you been doing for the past 5 years if you have no current work experience?

dogloverus Feb 20th 2012 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 9911805)
What have you been doing for the past 5 years if you have no current work experience?

University perhaps since it is a five yr course! :blink:

SanDiegogirl Feb 20th 2012 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by dogloverus (Post 9911832)
University perhaps since it is a five yr course! :blink:

Sorry, mis-read his dates.

Bob Feb 20th 2012 8:48 pm

Check to see if your UK qualifications mean anything in the US. If they mean toilet paper, then come to the US on a student visa and start over.

Each state will be different, so look up the licensing requirements of the state.

Then work on getting experience, a lot of it, so make you more likely to find someone willing to go through cost and hassle of sponsorship.

ian-mstm Feb 20th 2012 9:49 pm

My childhood dentist has offered me a job on contract for 3 years...

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that - since he'll need to demonstrate to the US government that there is currently no qualified dentist to fill the position... all before he can even begin to sponsor you.

Ian

Nutmegger Feb 20th 2012 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9911966)
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that - since he'll need to demonstrate to the US government that there is currently no qualified dentist to fill the position... all before he can even begin to sponsor you.

Ian

I think he means he can get a job with his dentist in the UK.