Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Confused by this EAD stuff

Confused by this EAD stuff

Old Aug 9th 2002, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Sioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really niceSioneva is just really nice
Default Confused by this EAD stuff

All right, I'm now totally confused. Since EADs at the POE seem so spotty (and unsure) now, how do we work this?

1. If he does get his EAD in Boston, or wherever, how long is it valid? Is he going to have to *stop* working for the period between our marriage and when we go in for the AOS stuff in San Antonio? Am I misunderstanding the process? If it does expire, and he can't work, what's the point of getting a job if he's going to lose it (through not having valid authorization) three months after getting it?

2. If he doesn't get his EAD, the fastest way for him to get to work is by getting married to me asap, and then sending in the AOS stuff, right?

Thanks! This financial stuff is a killer--my biggest stress point...
Old Aug 10th 2002, 12:40 pm
Georgesgirl35

Default Re: Confused by this EAD stuff

Hi, Yes i think that is correct. Ive read other peoples messages where they werent
given EAD at POE and had to apply to service centres and didnt get theyre EAD through
before the 90 days ran out. When you marry and apply for AOS you can apply for EAD as
well and depending on which local office you have to use will get it through within
90 days. I got mine (from memphis) in two weeks. Some local offices have walkins and
will give EADs on the same day.

Old Aug 10th 2002, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

andrewdean is an unknown quantity at this point

If he is coming in on a K1 visa and gets an EAD on entry it will be good for 90 days from the date of entry. It is not affected by the date of your marriage only the date of entry. This temporary 90 day EAD is free.

As soon as you marry and file for the AOS he can apply for a 1 year EAD. ( it is normally suggested that you file for the 1 Year EAD with the AOS paperwork). Some INS offices will even issue the EAD on the day.

This EAD is good for 1 year and costs $120. If you have have not had your AOS interview you then need to renew your EAD each year. Rembering to file 90 days in advance.

If your local INS office does the AOS interview on the day ( i.e. Dallas) you would not even need the one year EAD.

Last edited by andrewdean; Aug 10th 2002 at 11:19 pm.