Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Confused about I-134's role in interview

Confused about I-134's role in interview

Old Jul 16th 2002, 12:12 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Confused about I-134's role in interview

Hello all!

Could someone PLEASE answer these questions for me!!!

** Does the London consulate require any tax returns to accompany the I-134 for the K1 interview?

** If so, how many tax returns?

** What kind of financial documents (if any) are required to accompany the I-134 for the K1 interview?

** If I do NOT meet the 125% minimum, do I need a co-sponsor at the time of the K1 interview? or only at the AOS interview?

** If I DO need a co-sponsor for the K1 interview, and if my brother (potential co-sponsor) files joint tax returns with his wife, do BOTH need to become co-sponsors?

** How many (if any) tax returns does the London consulate require from a co-sponsor for the K1 interview?

** What kind of financial documents (if any) are required by the co-sponsor(s) to accompany the I-134 for the K1 interview?

Specifically, I would appreciate it if people who have been thru this process via the London consulate since 2001 would let me know what their experiences were. I'd like for responses to be as current as possible, as the policies and requirements change over time.

Thanks in advance!

~ Jenney
Old Jul 16th 2002, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Ptarmigan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confused about I-134's role in interview

Ok, I went through the procedure at the London Consulate in March of this year, so I am only a few months "out of date".

I didn't take any tax returns to the interview with me, but I did have my fiances W2s. She did not meet the 125% and I did need a co sponsor, which i did have.

I took the following documents:

Lisas W2s
A letter from her employer stating her earnings
A letter from her bank listing deposits/withdrawls broken down by month for the last 12 months

An I134 from her parents attached to which were:
A letter from her dads employer stating time employed, salary, and job.
A few bank statements from them
A letter listing thier assets which was also notarised.

Neither I134 had a tax return with it and they didn't ask for one there.
Old Jul 16th 2002, 4:20 pm
Heidi

I'm only going through this process right now too, but what I'm sending in with the
I-134 is exactly what the form states I should:

A letter from my bank, stating when I opened my account, the total amount that I have
deposited in my accounts over the past year, and the total amount in my
checking/savings accounts today (well, yesterday, when I got the letter). It doesn't
say that the amounts need to be broken down month-by-month, so I'm not worrying about
that (hopefully someone will post here if I *do* need a breakdown!)

I'm sending in my 2001 tax return too, as, while I'm not self-employed, I am a
student, and my employment isn't exactly *fixed*--ie, appointments for graders isn't
made until the fall, I can't count on the same income, etc...so, I'm sending it in
just because I can't back up the bank letter with an employer letter.

My parents are co-sponsoring, and because my dad is self-employed, he's sending in
two tax returns (although the form only requires one) as well as proof of the assets
that he's listed on the I-134.

From what I've gathered, that's enough. I could well be wrong, but I'm mailing the
stuff off this afternoon, so hopefully someone will clear it up before then!

Old Jul 17th 2002, 4:20 pm
Johnson Pervis

You only need information from a Bank if you are using ASSETS to qualify. If your
income meets or exceeds the 125% Above Poverty Requirements you don't need
information other than the I-134, letter from employer and for SOME consulates, 3
years of tax returns.

--
Johnson "Heidi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I'm only going through this process right now too, but what I'm sending in with the
    > I-134 is exactly what the form states I should:
    >
    > A letter from my bank, stating when I opened my account, the total amount that I
    > have deposited in my accounts over the past year, and the total amount in my
    > checking/savings accounts today (well, yesterday, when I got the letter). It
    > doesn't say that the amounts need to be broken down month-by-month, so I'm not
    > worrying about that (hopefully someone will post here if I *do* need a breakdown!)
    >
    > I'm sending in my 2001 tax return too, as, while I'm not self-employed, I am a
    > student, and my employment isn't exactly *fixed*--ie, appointments for graders
    > isn't made until the fall, I can't count on the same income, etc...so, I'm sending
    > it in just because I can't back up the bank letter with an employer letter.
    >
    > My parents are co-sponsoring, and because my dad is self-employed, he's sending in
    > two tax returns (although the form only requires one) as well as proof of the
    > assets that he's listed on the I-134.
    >
    > From what I've gathered, that's enough. I could well be wrong, but I'm mailing the
    > stuff off this afternoon, so hopefully someone will clear it up before then!