Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Confederate" Flag

"Confederate" Flag

Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Confederate" Flag

I've noticed a few of these around.... but I was told the other day that people with said flag are racist rednecks

As I was brought up watching the Dukes of Hazzard, I always assumed it was used as a sign of a rebel.

Any views on what it usually means? Or what you take it as meaning?
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:20 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Confederate" Flag

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I've noticed a few of these around.... but I was told the other day that people with said flag are racist rednecks

As I was brought up watching the Dukes of Hazzard, I always assumed it was used as a sign of a rebel.

I would have been of the same view as you until quite recently when I started to notice that many who miss certain "old southern ways" seem to like to use the flag these days.

Did they use it in the new Dukes of Hazzard movie ??
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Did they use it in the new Dukes of Hazzard movie ??
I would have thought so.

I couldn't bring myself to watch it I was a big fan and didn't want to be disappointed.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby told me that it's seen as being racist, they might as well have KKK on there number plate.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:31 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Hubby told me that it's seen as being racist, they might as well have KKK on there number plate.
Yep - that's what I've heard.
Obviously the flag in itself isn't racist, but it now seems to be associated with 'klan-types'.
Its always a shame when a legitimate symbol gets hijacked/misappropriated for something like this
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:31 pm
Thinking about it

I would have thought so.

I couldn't bring myself to watch it I was a big fan and didn't want to be disappointed.
I have it at home, but haven't watched it yet.
there appears to be a few hot chicks in it
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have it at home, but haven't watched it yet.
there appears to be a few hot chicks in it
Jessica Simpson in little denim shorts?
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is in the movie - and they take the piss out of them for being racist as a result.

It is seen as racist by association, largely dating back to the slave trade days and the fact that the civil war was fought around the issue of slavery.....a few scottish pals have been questioned over the st andrews cross cos of its similarity!!!!

PS - the movie is hilarious, even if it doesnt live up to the TV series!!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I've got a rebel flag on my truck. And a St Georges Cross tattoo. But im not racist at all. Anything can be made to mean anything these days.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I've got a rebel flag on my truck. And a St Georges Cross tattoo. But im not racist at all. Anything can be made to mean anything these days.
I better not get a Confederate flag tattoed onto my tattoo of Tinky Winky then.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:43 pm
Thinking about it

I agree
I'm sick to the back teeth of people reading things in to the Rainbow Flag I have tattoo'd on my arse
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

There are long and lengthy debates on the flag - which is actually the confederate battle flag - one of many - and the fact that this has been stirred up as racist by Hollywood and the media - but popular conception is that it is racist.

Sadly the George's cross has similar connotations along with hooliganism back home - not to the same extent though........
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

I agree
I'm sick to the back teeth of people reading things in to the Rainbow Flag I have tattoo'd on my arse

up above the streets and houses............
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Our neighborer got up to find his Truck tires all slashed :scared: The OH said I'm not surprised with that Flag hanging up inside of it.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:55 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Big D
Sadly the George's cross has similar connotations along with hooliganism back home - not to the same extent though........
Was going to mention that - that viewpoint also a load of b*lls though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.