Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ConEd Gas Service Charge (New York)

ConEd Gas Service Charge (New York)

Old Oct 14th 2018, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Arathe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ConEd Gas Service Charge (New York)

One I hope a fellow New Yorker can help me with. Since moving to NYC earlier this year I’ve been shocked by how high the energy bills are. We have moved electricity supplier so saved a bit there, but my ConEd bill still has huge “service” charges - there is a flat charge for gas of about $25 per month and a separate service charge for electricity based on usage.

Am I missing something here or is this just how it is?
Old Oct 14th 2018, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ConEd Gas Service Charge (New York)

I'm in NC and pay about $15 just to be hooked up to gas... Times two for my two lines.
Old Oct 15th 2018, 5:17 am
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Hey!

Manhattan resident here with ConEd (don't exactly have a choice).

Have you gone through the 'identity verification' with them? they whacked on a $300 fee + prior tenancy rates + other charges till I phoned up to complain to a (very cool) phone rep. He took my drivers license number as verification and verbally accepted our appt start date and removed the extra fees.

Our gas & electricity is bundled and put on as a single fee (its not broken out) but it fluctuates from about $45 -> $100+ month pending time of year (winter is always cheaper) and how many people are in the appt (I have a *lot* of friends that like to visit from the UK) for an apartment that's approx 1,200 sq foot. This is substantially cheaper than what I paid back in London with EON.

Hope this helps!

P.S - whilst we are on the subject of providers in NYC, I'd like to rant about Verizon Fios. They are the worst.

Last edited by livinginnyc; Oct 15th 2018 at 5:20 am.
Old Oct 15th 2018, 2:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arathe
One I hope a fellow New Yorker can help me with. Since moving to NYC earlier this year I’ve been shocked by how high the energy bills are. We have moved electricity supplier so saved a bit there, but my ConEd bill still has huge “service” charges - there is a flat charge for gas of about $25 per month and a separate service charge for electricity based on usage.

Am I missing something here or is this just how it is?
No, you are not missing anything. I had Con Ed for over 68 years and the charges are separate. Yes, utility rates in the greater metropolitan area are very high. Just something you need to adjust your budget for. Turn off the lights, television, non-essential electrical gadgets when not in use. After a set number of months on Con Ed, you can opt to go into the averaged monthly cost plan. They take your yearly bill for the previous year, divide by 12 and that is the set amount you pay each month. When I left NY 2 years ago, I was paying $88 a month for electrical. This meant there was no low bills during winter months and sky high bills during the summer with the a/c on. It was for a 1,000 square foot apartment.

P.S. And I found Verizon to be the best.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 15th 2018 at 2:47 pm.