Reload this Page >

Condo in Chicago area

Condo in Chicago area

Old Nov 26th 2013, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

e3geek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Condo in Chicago area

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Here's another thought. A lot of the units in the building may he rented, and the higher the number of rental units, the harder it is to get a mortgage, with a hard cap at 50%, when "conforming" (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and FHL) mortgages are no longer available at all. To buy without a regular mortgage you'd need a secured loan from a bank, which could be 1-2% higher that the 30 yr mortgage rate even if you have excellent credit, and bank loans don't amortize over 30 years, usually 20 years is the longest, AND, they only commit for five years at a time, so you have a refi and related fees to look forward to every give years.

But with $850 on monthly fees, and a loan payment of around $450, after allowing for repairs and maintenance, a landlord wouldn't be making anything until the rent reached around $1,700-$1,800. Would such a unit be worth that much?
Will have to check what is the vacancy rate around that area but I guess it should be lower given the university nearby + a family area.

So far it seems like I should be able to get a 2 bed condo under 100K mark with low HoA fee, under 300 p/m. I might as well go west to Napperville if it is getting expensive in Evanston. There are plenty of houses and townhouses available under 300K mark with low HoA. If I can get a LoC against the property on mortgage rates why get the loan?
Old Nov 26th 2013, 12:33 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by e3geek
Will have to check what is the vacancy rate around that area but I guess it should be lower given the university nearby + a family area.

So far it seems like I should be able to get a 2 bed condo under 100K mark with low HoA fee, under 300 p/m. I might as well go west to Napperville if it is getting expensive in Evanston. There are plenty of houses and townhouses available under 300K mark with low HoA. If I can get a LoC against the property on mortgage rates why get the loan?
That area on your last link is not a student area. Too far away. It is a modest-income family area with some light industry.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

e3geek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
That area on your last link is not a student area. Too far away. It is a modest-income family area with some light industry.
I am a bit confused between Evanston and Napperville at the moment. Will probably live in both areas and see how it feels. Evanston is good for condos and Napperville is good for houses. A few of my future colleagues live in Napperville and highly recommend it. I heard its been among top 5 in the US for family living and schools.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:09 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I am a bit confused between Evanston and Napperville at the moment. Will probably live in both areas and see how it feels. Evanston is good for condos and Napperville is good for houses. A few of my future colleagues live in Napperville and highly recommend it. I heard its been among top 5 in the US for family living and schools.
Evanston is good if you want an easy trip to the city and easier access to cultural life, of which Naperville is more or less devoid as far as I can tell. If you want a larger house and don't mind living in the vast hinterland that is suburban sprawl Chicago, then Naperville is fine - it just isn't me.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

Napperville is right, it's a boring place to live unless you drive a minivan. It's great if you have kids but in the Chicago suburbs, condos are generally located in the less desirable school catchment areas. If you want to be in a good school in Evanston or Naperville, you don't want to be in a condo. Of course there are a few exceptions, but they are few and far between.

And that HOA is ridiculous for a condo looking like that in Evanston. You would pay less than that in a nice building downtown that has a gym, pool, doorman and covered parking. It's so high because it's a co-op, so that number includes your taxes, making it a little more reasonable, but you are mainly subsidizing all the deadbeats who aren't paying their assessments while they wait for the bank to come and foreclose on them. I was on the board of my HOA back in Chicago, so I have seen it all.

If you want to know more about Chicago real estate check out www.cribchatter.com, lots of great info on there.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

Now this place, this is more of a deal. Right in the middle of the loop, literally walk to everything, and cheap enough that you can keep it and rent it out once you move out to the burbs.

http://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/182.../home/18938569
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Lbjen
Napperville is right, it's a boring place to live unless you drive a minivan. It's great if you have kids but in the Chicago suburbs, condos are generally located in the less desirable school catchment areas. If you want to be in a good school in Evanston or Naperville, you don't want to be in a condo. Of course there are a few exceptions, but they are few and far between.

And that HOA is ridiculous for a condo looking like that in Evanston. You would pay less than that in a nice building downtown that has a gym, pool, doorman and covered parking. It's so high because it's a co-op, so that number includes your taxes, making it a little more reasonable, but you are mainly subsidizing all the deadbeats who aren't paying their assessments while they wait for the bank to come and foreclose on them. I was on the board of my HOA back in Chicago, so I have seen it all.

If you want to know more about Chicago real estate check out www.cribchatter.com, lots of great info on there.

That is not true of Evanston. There is only one high school for the whole town, so it doesn't matter where you live, and the condos are all over the town too so they hit all the grade schools and middle schools.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:16 am

Now this place, this is more of a deal. Right in the middle of the loop, literally walk to everything, and cheap enough that you can keep it and rent it out once you move out to the burbs.

http://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/182.../home/18938569
458 square feet? Hope he doesn't have a family.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

He was looking at small apartments in Evanston, it's a studio but at least you're not in the hood and more of your payment is tax deductible.

And high schools are a whole other ball game to elementary schools, most suburbs only have one or two.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... If I can get a LoC against the property on mortgage rates why get the loan?
Not sure what you mean? In the US people don't talk about "getting an LoC" (letter of credit, right?)

Most people get "a mortgage", meaning a standardized off-the-shelf loan to the standards laid down by the government owned mortgage finance companies the Federal National Mortgage Association (FNMA) aka "Fannie Mae", and the Federal Home Loan Mortage Corporation (FHLMC) aka " Freddie Mac". Most mortgages are for 30 year duration and fixed for the entire period. At the moment the only common alternative period is for 15 years, again fixed for the duration. Mortages that are fixed for 3 or 5 years are also available, that float after the initial fixed period, but these are considered undesirable because the floating rate tends to be ridiculously high, for a secured loan.

The most common alternative to "a mortgage" is a secured bank loan, which is commonly used by investors in rental houses, or by people otherwise unable to use Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac mortgages. They are at best fixed for five years, and then have to be refinanced.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 26th 2013 at 1:39 am.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:28 am

He was looking at small apartments in Evanston, it's a studio but at least you're not in the hood and more of your payment is tax deductible.

And high schools are a whole other ball game to elementary schools, most suburbs only have one or two.
Er, Evanston is not "the hood."

Evanston has 10 elementary schools, and 2 magnet schools that are K-8, and three middle schools. It is a university town and multiple languages are spoken.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

The part where condos cost $50k is!

And I meant most suburbs have one or two high schools.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:36 am

Have a look at some Evanston pics.

https://www.google.com/search?q=evan...w=1241&bih=605

Has anyone mentioned the weather yet? Hope you like winter.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:39 am

The part where condos cost $50k is!.
That part is tiny. There's no need to live there or be affected by it in any way if you don't want to.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

In a tangential direction, can I mention that buying property while on an E-3 may not be the greatest move? Apart from the fact that it is a very short-term visa, you are also supposed to be able to show your intention to leave the US. It can be a bit fuzzy proving this, but I'd say owning property here would definitely be on the list of things against you, once it comes time for you to renew.

Your other posts indicate you are hoping to get sponsored for a greencard. Personally, I wouldn't consider buying property without one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.