British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   condition of entry immunisations? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/condition-entry-immunisations-747238/)

mymatemarmite Feb 3rd 2012 7:26 am

condition of entry immunisations?

Our baby will be 12 weeks old when we move, she's just had her first set of jabs here but will have to continue the course when we move.

My doctor said we should find out if BCG is a condition of entry immunisation for the baby because she thinks it is - but unhelpfully had no suggestions of how I find this out! Google searches seem to come up with nothing, NHS has no idea...anyone know where I can find out?!

GeoffM Feb 3rd 2012 8:05 am

Re: condition of entry immunisations?

BCG isn't required for the US but you might want her to have it just so she's protected. See http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_1331.html for a list of requirements, but Varicella is not required for UK applicants.

mymatemarmite Feb 3rd 2012 11:49 am

thankyou, really helpful

penguinsix Feb 3rd 2012 11:50 am

Hepatitis shots are something on the required list and something many American children are given at birth (and then two boosters a bit later). It's not part of the normal course for NHS, but if you can get at the least the first one there in the UK you might save some money.

I think it is shot 1, then 30 days shot 2, and then 6 months shot 3.

Hep is also a required shot for schools in most states.

lisa67 Feb 3rd 2012 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 9881640)
BCG isn't required for the US but you might want her to have it just so she's protected. See http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_1331.html for a list of requirements, but Varicella is not required for UK applicants.

Varicella or proof that a child has had it (chickenpox) is often required for school in a lot of states.

mymatemarmite Feb 3rd 2012 12:57 pm

thanks - looks like my son will need to have Hep B and chicken pox but we're only 2 weeks away from moving - doctor said it'd be done under a travel clinic so we'd have to pay anyway, anyone know the vague cost comparison?

DH's work are subsidising our health insurance but I've no idea at this stage what that would cover...

penguinsix Feb 3rd 2012 1:26 pm

First a general bit of advice to anyone who finds this thread later--get a copy of your employer's insurance plan before you even accept the offer and go through it with a fine tooth comb to see how much it is going to cost you.

I know, a bit late for that now. If you have a decent plan, you will probably only have a copayment of like $20 when you go to the doctor's office to get the shots. If you have a deductible that is pretty high, then the first $1000 or so might come out of your pocket before insurance starts to pay. Varies based on the plan.

Is the company providing a plan or giving you money to get your own? If the company has a plan, call the HR people and they can give you a decent estimate of the costs.

Last time I had to pay specifically for some shots it was like $400 or something. Three shots, not covered by insurance (well it might have been but I was too busy to submit the forms).

Good luck.

Weeze Feb 3rd 2012 1:36 pm

We moved with our then 18 month year old and didn't get her any additional shots until she got here and needed them for school. She needed the hep ones, chicken pox and a flu vaccine. We have a 20% co-pay usually, but didn't have to pay anything for those shots. The doctor said our state (Texas) was trying to make sure every child had the required shots and so were paying for them. So, you might be presently surprised!

penguinsix Feb 3rd 2012 1:39 pm

What Weeze just mentioned is a good point. Some county public health clinics give free or very reduced imunizations to people. They might, however, balk at doing it for infants. Will depend on where you live but worth investigating.

sir_eccles Feb 3rd 2012 3:05 pm

Thank you for getting your child vaccinated. Please keep on top of it. Unfortunately here in the US vaccination rates are dropping so much certain diseases are now becoming more and more prevalent particularly in schools, Pertussis and Measles are making huge comebacks.

mymatemarmite Feb 3rd 2012 3:17 pm

all really good and useful responses - so I think I might wait until she (and my son) need to go to childcare and get the required immunisations then - except she'll obviously finish the current course she's just started. Doesn't look like she needs anything to actually get into the country though which leaves me one less thing to do in a short amount of time!

Don't worry Eccles, I would rather she were immunised than got seriously ill, though I know no jab actually guarantees immunisation, but also see it as a social responsibility, as you do too! Which is why my son had his MMR

sir_eccles Feb 3rd 2012 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by mymatemarmite (Post 9882163)
Don't worry Eccles, I would rather she were immunised than got seriously ill, though I know no jab actually guarantees immunisation, but also see it as a social responsibility, as you do too! Which is why my son had his MMR

*does a little dance*

I wish there were more responsible parents like you.

lisa67 Feb 3rd 2012 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by mymatemarmite (Post 9882163)
all really good and useful responses - so I think I might wait until she (and my son) need to go to childcare and get the required immunisations then - except she'll obviously finish the current course she's just started. Doesn't look like she needs anything to actually get into the country though which leaves me one less thing to do in a short amount of time!

When we moved over here, 11 years ago, I waited to get my daughter's vaccinations done here. There was a clinic you could go to and get them done cheaply. Make sure you bring proof of what he's already had, it'll make things so much easier:thumbsup:

MsElui Feb 4th 2012 4:39 am

when you get here you will sign your kids up with a local pediatric doctor. They will no doubt do the child's regular well checks going forward and suggest the appropriate ones at the appropriate intervals as well as any catch ups like varicella etc. then once your ready for childcare you'll already be on the same plan as any other child of the same age.

least thats what we did - just brought the red book ovre to show the doc so they could work out what was already done and then started us at the next step to catch up and keep up.

GeoffM Feb 4th 2012 11:03 am

Sorry, just noticed you're on H visas so that link I gave you might not be relevant as it's for immigrant visas. Having said that, Hep-B is required for immigrants but is not normally given to UKCs, so I wonder whether there is something lurking in the water/wildlife/whatever that makes Hep-B more essential in the US than the UK. As penguinsix said, it's a set of three shots. Our 4-month old had her 2nd shot last month with no side effects.