Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Computers - Blighty to USA

Computers - Blighty to USA

Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:56 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Computers - Blighty to USA

Did you try removing the 2 pin part of your charger and sliding the 3 pin UK part of your daughters on to it?

Originally Posted by dbark
What is a figure of 8 connector & can I buy one here in the US?
its this, with a UK plug (or US etc) on the other end.

Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:59 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
Did you try removing the 2 pin part of your charger and sliding the 3 pin UK part of your daughters on to it?

No, didn't try that ... didn't think of it...

The figure of 8 - aha! Like many audio equipment has then? Thanks again!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked it up, it was $69.99 for a 3,000W transformer.
They make larger and smaller versions.
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/VID...ms/1448-IN-10?

Good luck trying to pull 3000W from a standard US outlet
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:54 pm

We have some of the best electricity supplies in the world! I can tell its working as the street lights dim when I attach my printer!
It works just fine, I am not sure what you mean

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
Good luck trying to pull 3000W from a standard US outlet
Old Aug 7th 2006, 4:01 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

That saves me posting about my powerbook, I just need to buy the end part of the power cord, and replace the 3 prong plug with a 2 prong on, $20. Excellent.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 4:07 pm

You can simply cut the end of the power cord off and swap it for a US plug, a couple of bucks at the most. I converted all my UK electrical appliances that were 110V compatible by replaing the 3 pin UK plugs with US 3 pin plugs. I had a UK power strip, replaced the UK plug with a US one and plugged 4 UK style plugs in it - talk about cheap!

Originally Posted by Knight
That saves me posting about my powerbook, I just need to buy the end part of the power cord, and replace the 3 prong plug with a 2 prong on, $20. Excellent.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 4:12 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

You can simply cut the end of the power cord off and swap it for a US plug, a couple of bucks at the most. I converted all my UK electrical appliances that were 110V compatible by replaing the 3 pin UK plugs with US 3 pin plugs. I had a UK power strip, replaced the UK plug with a US one and plugged 4 UK style plugs in it - talk about cheap!
it's just going to be all my office electricals (PC, mac, printer) together, so I may go for that great penny-pinching idea! Thanks!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked it up, it was $69.99 for a 3,000W transformer.
They make larger and smaller versions.
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/VID...ms/1448-IN-10?
Ooh think i'll get one of them for my guitar stuff. No way i'm chopping all the heads off all of that Dave that would run a uk power strip full of stuff yeah?
Old Aug 7th 2006, 4:43 pm

UK powerstrips, plugs, cables etc are all to a much higher specification than the US stuff. I bought the highest rated 3 pin US plug available. So long as all your guitar stuff doesn't pull more than 3000 watts you should be just fine. The transformer has a built in trip, so its not as though it will cause any damage should you exceed the load.
The transformer only changes voltage, it doesn't change frequeny (60Hz
North America vs. 50Hz foreign). There is some debate as to whether this is a problem or not (for example some UK microwave ovens may not operate properly on the US 60Hz).
Here is a list of appliances that worked for me, your mileage may vary (I did not find an appliance that did not work!

table lamps
television
PlayStation 2
VCR
DVD player
Canon inkjet printer
Epson inkjet printer
HP laser printer
Vaccum cleaner
JVC HiFi
Waffle iron
Electric clothes Iron

As I said, all these work just fine. I've yet to find anything that doesn't work. I did a little research before buying the transformer, and found discussions about the difference in frequency. I've been using this stuff for about 8 months, and it just works as before.

Disclaimer:
I'm not an electrician, nor an expert on electronic devices. This information is my experience and not a recommendation or advice.

Originally Posted by Andy_LongIsland
Ooh think i'll get one of them for my guitar stuff. No way i'm chopping all the heads off all of that Dave that would run a uk power strip full of stuff yeah?
Old Aug 7th 2006, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Dave, Don't think i'll be pulling more than 3000watts - think the walls would start falling down if I turned my amp up that high Well I'll give it a go when my stuff arrives - looks good that one though - half the price of ones i've seen that aren't as powerful
Old Aug 7th 2006, 7:37 pm

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

UK powerstrips, plugs, cables etc are all to a much higher specification than the US stuff. I bought the highest rated 3 pin US plug available. So long as all your guitar stuff doesn't pull more than 3000 watts you should be just fine. The transformer has a built in trip, so its not as though it will cause any damage should you exceed the load.
The transformer only changes voltage, it doesn't change frequeny (60Hz
North America vs. 50Hz foreign). There is some debate as to whether this is a problem or not (for example some UK microwave ovens may not operate properly on the US 60Hz).
Here is a list of appliances that worked for me, your mileage may vary (I did not find an appliance that did not work!

table lamps
television
PlayStation 2
VCR
DVD player
Canon inkjet printer
Epson inkjet printer
HP laser printer
Vaccum cleaner
JVC HiFi
Waffle iron
Electric clothes Iron

As I said, all these work just fine. I've yet to find anything that doesn't work. I did a little research before buying the transformer, and found discussions about the difference in frequency. I've been using this stuff for about 8 months, and it just works as before.

Disclaimer:
I'm not an electrician, nor an expert on electronic devices. This information is my experience and not a recommendation or advice.
Dave, are you talking about UK stuff that you now use in the US? Would this work the other way around?
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:13 pm

This is UK stuff I'm now using in the US.

The transformer works both ways.
So you can take 110V and get 240V
or take 240V and get 110V

The same unit does both.

Dave, are you talking about UK stuff that you now use in the US? Would this work the other way around?
Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:25 pm

This is UK stuff I'm now using in the US.

The transformer works both ways.
So you can take 110V and get 240V
or take 240V and get 110V

The same unit does both.
OK, sorry to labour the point, but to take US items to the UK, would it be worth buying this transformer and taking it over (and change the plug), or d'you think we would we be able to get one over there?

Edit: Looked some UK ones up online. Here was one I found:

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/autotransformer_step_up.htm

Looks good to me

Last edited by dbark; Aug 8th 2006 at 1:31 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:23 pm

The transformer you quote only powers 100w (thats an average size light bulb). You could run very little using this. The unit I mentioned is 3000W (30 times that). However it weighs 32 pounds, so would be difficult to transport to the UK.

Are you visiting or moving back to the UK, and what items are you looking to use (one or two items, or a whole bunch)?

OK, sorry to labour the point, but to take US items to the UK, would it be worth buying this transformer and taking it over (and change the plug), or d'you think we would we be able to get one over there?

Edit: Looked some UK ones up online. Here was one I found:

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/autotransformer_step_up.htm

Looks good to me
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:46 pm

The transformer you quote only powers 100w (thats an average size light bulb). You could run very little using this. The unit I mentioned is 3000W (30 times that). However it weighs 32 pounds, so would be difficult to transport to the UK.

Are you visiting or moving back to the UK, and what items are you looking to use (one or two items, or a whole bunch)?
I might have to move back temporarily with some belongings to help sort out a situation there with my daughters. I'm not sure what I would want to take, although definitely my laptop computer and ipod, possibly also my video camera.

How about this one? It can be used up to 3000W.

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/pbright_vc3000.htm

Of course, it costs a whole lot more than the US version

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.