Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Computers - Blighty to USA

Computers - Blighty to USA

Old Aug 4th 2006, 6:52 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Computers - Blighty to USA

Heya,

Just been reading posts on people moving their goods from blighty to USA, and then ready a post about people changing power supplies on their PC, and I have put the two together to ask some questions that have been on my mind.

Did many of you take your home PC with you? I have read that a lot of you have taken all your furniture and household items. I don’t have much in the way of stuff I will want to take with me (I currently live in a shared apartment that came with furniture supplied), so all I’ll be shipping is some sports gear, my clothes, some books and my computer.

What I want to know is it worth taking the PC with me? Is it any easier or cheaper (given the price of shipping) to just get a new PC when I move? If I do take it, what do I need to do power wise?

Suggestions always appreciated.

Knight.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all
Default Re: Computers - Blighty to USA

The power supply might have a switch on the back to switch between 110V and 220V (or maybe 120V/240V). If it doesn't, it is almost certainly a 'switching' power supply, which will adapt to whichever it's plugged into. Either way, I've never seen a PC that can't work in both the UK and the US.

We brought our PC, monitor, printer etc over, but then it was a corporate move all paid for, so we brought a whole houseful of stuff. If your PC is relatively new and you're bringing other stuff over anyway, you might as well bring it.

If it's getting on a bit, or it would make a significant difference to the shipping cost, then you're probably best flogging it in the UK and buying a new one here.

Cheers,

Pat
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:39 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Agree ..If its more that 3 year old ...leave it behind ...
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superpat
The power supply might have a switch on the back to switch between 110V and 220V (or maybe 120V/240V). If it doesn't, it is almost certainly a 'switching' power supply, which will adapt to whichever it's plugged into. Either way, I've never seen a PC that can't work in both the UK and the US.

We brought our PC, monitor, printer etc over, but then it was a corporate move all paid for, so we brought a whole houseful of stuff. If your PC is relatively new and you're bringing other stuff over anyway, you might as well bring it.

If it's getting on a bit, or it would make a significant difference to the shipping cost, then you're probably best flogging it in the UK and buying a new one here.

Cheers,

Pat
echoes our experiences - we were on a corporate move but had no problems with power
Old Aug 4th 2006, 4:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Most stuff from EU will be dual voltage, so get a new power cable for a couple bucks, or a plug adaptor.

Monitor, if your paying for shipping, leave it behind, easier and cheaper to get a new one, unless it's an LCD or something like that.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 4:45 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Most PC's have a switch on the power supply 110v/240v. Most Mac's have either a switch or the power supply auto-switches for you. I brought a couple of high quality printers and spent $80 on a step up transformer, to convert a 110V supply to a 240v one. Its heavy duty and runs both printers, a UK TV, PlayStation 2, DVD player, VCR, HiFi, and even the vac! Most of my UK stuff has been replaced (bigger TV etc) but I use the transformer in our home office to continue to use all the stuff I couldn't face throwing away!

Originally Posted by Knight
Heya,

Just been reading posts on people moving their goods from blighty to USA, and then ready a post about people changing power supplies on their PC, and I have put the two together to ask some questions that have been on my mind.

Did many of you take your home PC with you? I have read that a lot of you have taken all your furniture and household items. I don’t have much in the way of stuff I will want to take with me (I currently live in a shared apartment that came with furniture supplied), so all I’ll be shipping is some sports gear, my clothes, some books and my computer.

What I want to know is it worth taking the PC with me? Is it any easier or cheaper (given the price of shipping) to just get a new PC when I move? If I do take it, what do I need to do power wise?

Suggestions always appreciated.

Knight.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:27 pm

Just looked it up, it was $69.99 for a 3,000W transformer.
They make larger and smaller versions.
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/VID...ms/1448-IN-10?

Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:11 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

I have a similar query - my (new) Dell laptop, bought in the US - can I use it on the mains in the UK if I take it over during a visit? If so, do I need to buy a different transformer and power cord?
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:20 pm
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbark
I have a similar query - my (new) Dell laptop, bought in the US - can I use it on the mains in the UK if I take it over during a visit? If so, do I need to buy a different transformer and power cord?
Has it got a voltage changeover switch
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

check the transformer - that's the square thing on the power cord. If it says 'input 100-240v 50-60Hz' then you're OK. The important bit is the 240v (220 or 230 will do OK as well) and the 50Hz.

I have a Us bought dell laptop and it works fine in the UK.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen a laptop in the last 10 years that cannot work pretty much anywhere in the world. Most power supplies are rated 90-230V, so you should be fine....

- Tim

PS the OP asked about a desktop PC. Most will have a red changeover switch from 110 to 230V and vice-versa. If it doesn't it may have a universal input (not that common) or may be fixed at 240V. Cheapest option is to get a new ATX power supply and swap it with the old one once you get here. Transformers are expensive, big and power hungry.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:59 pm

From Dell:
The AC adapter sold with both Inspiron and Latitude systems will work with AC power sources worldwide. The AC adapter can handle 90-276 VAC 50-60 Hz, which means that the AC adapter will auto switch to adapt to a voltage current between 90 and 276 volts. The AC adapter will function properly without risk of damage as long as the current does not surpass this range.

Don't buy your adaptor at the airport, you'll pay *way* over the odds. Also remember you are going to be offered two types of adaptor, both of which will work, but will have vastly different prices. You do not need one that converts voltage, you only need one that converts the plug (if your AC adaptor can handle 240V then let it do the work and save your money).
If you have time before you go you can pick up an adaptor on eBay for a couple of bucks. If you have a car power invertor then that will also work in the UK (US and UK cars have identical cigarette lighter/AC sockets. On a similiar note I bought an invertor to power my laptop on the long flight - it came with both airplane and car invertor, again on eBay, for around $25.

I saw the travel invertors in my local Albertsons yesterday - which made me laugh as most people I know here think that leaving Texas counts as foreign travel . I swear I once overheard a guy say he "wasn't from around here", only later to hear him explain he lived 8 miles up the road

Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:29 pm

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the help with the laptop question. When I was over in London recently, I couldn't charge my iPod using a plug adapter, that's why I was wondering about the laptop.

My Dell adaptor indeed says "Input 100-240V" so it seems I can just do what was suggested, and use a plug converter. Great! Thanks again
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the help with the laptop question. When I was over in London recently, I couldn't charge my iPod using a plug adapter, that's why I was wondering about the laptop.

My Dell adaptor indeed says "Input 100-240V" so it seems I can just do what was suggested, and use a plug converter. Great! Thanks again
Strange with the ipod was it an official Apple charger? If so its a travel charger and works in any country with right adaptor - maybe its wasnt connected correctly? you can remove the US plug and insert a UK figure of 8 connector to make the connection easier - but the OEM charger should work fine in the UK!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
Strange with the ipod was it an official Apple charger? If so its a travel charger and works in any country with right adaptor - maybe its wasnt connected correctly? you can remove the US plug and insert a UK figure of 8 connector to make the connection easier - but the OEM charger should work fine in the UK!
Yes, it was the charger that came with the iPod - see pic I've just taken of it. I bought an adaptor at the airport (yes, I know - don't do it!) and tried to use it in England, and it just didn't charge. When my daughter lent me her English one, however, it charged just fine. What is a figure of 8 connector & can I buy one here in the US?
Attached Thumbnails Computers - Blighty to USA-ipod-charger.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.