British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Computer problem?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/computer-problem-350191/)

tony126 Jan 23rd 2006 1:23 pm

Computer problem??

My computer does not recognise my HP dvd740 unit. It use to then I got a message referring to filter driver PxHelp20 pointing out that my unit would not work. I have Nero and TSUNAMI-MPEG DVD EasyPack Launcher. Have check for virus and have 'googled' the problem and find a ref to Microsoft Article # KB314060 but am not sure if that is what I require. I have also renamed the PxHelp20.SYS file to .bac. Still have the problem. Can any one come up with some help on this please?

USBound Jan 23rd 2006 1:50 pm

Re: Computer problem??

uninstall the drivers entirely... reboot then re-install.

if there is a hardware issue then the re-install should tell you the issue - if its a software issue then the re-install should sort you out.

Duncan Roberts Jan 23rd 2006 2:39 pm

Check online to see if there is a newer version of the driver before you do the un-install. If there is you could do an upgrade first and see if that works.

ukemigrant Jan 23rd 2006 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by tony126
My computer does not recognise my HP dvd740 unit. It use to then I got a message referring to filter driver PxHelp20 pointing out that my unit would not work. I have Nero and TSUNAMI-MPEG DVD EasyPack Launcher. Have check for virus and have 'googled' the problem and find a ref to Microsoft Article # KB314060 but am not sure if that is what I require. I have also renamed the PxHelp20.SYS file to .bac. Still have the problem. Can any one come up with some help on this please?

Did you recently "remove Easy CD Creator version 5.01 or earlier or DirectCD version 3.01c or earlier. This issue may also occur with Easy CD Creator version 5.01 and with DirectCD 3.01d or later. " from the knowledgebase article?

Try taking it out and putting it into another machine. Also what changed recently - when did it stop working? And how old is the drive?

frrussre Jan 23rd 2006 8:58 pm

Did the problem occur in the last few days, do you know when the problem started? You could do a "system restore" to a date, before the problem began.
Reg. Frank R.

Ray Jan 23rd 2006 9:00 pm

Tony ..dump that pile of crap ..and buy a new Dell...

I think we said this before ..

tony126 Jan 23rd 2006 10:54 pm

Everything is up and running. Thanks for the info. Done a restore, did not make any difference so returned to where I was. Removed Nero altogether including the registry files and re-installed them. Uninstalled the HP DVD device. Unplugged The USB connection and then the power to said device. I was going to try it out on my wifes computer to ensure it was not the unit itself but decided to try one more thing. Connected the device back up and noticed it was blinking, Checked MY Computer and there it was. I had done a virus check prior to all this. So why everything has comeback I do not know although I have a sneaking suspicion that a Nero file might have corrupted something. The PxHelp20 file has gone although I think it was removed by Nero automatically, but I do not know for sure. The .bac file disappeared also.

ukemigrant Jan 23rd 2006 11:05 pm

Everything is up and running. Thanks for the info. Done a restore, did not make any difference so returned to where I was. Removed Nero altogether including the registry files and re-installed them. Uninstalled the HP DVD device. Unplugged The USB connection and then the power to said device. I was going to try it out on my wifes computer to ensure it was not the unit itself but decided to try one more thing. Connected the device back up and noticed it was blinking, Checked MY Computer and there it was. I had done a virus check prior to all this. So why everything has comeback I do not know although I have a sneaking suspicion that a Nero file might have corrupted something. The PxHelp20 file has gone although I think it was removed by Nero automatically, but I do not know for sure. The .bac file disappeared also.

Hahaha that's the mystery of computers for you.