Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Computer help plea

Computer help plea

Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Computer help plea

Ok, one of you clever computer types must know where to look for this.. my mom's 'puter crashed & the hard drive was fatal. She took it to her local shop and when they said it couldn't be fixed, she asked if they could recover her files.

She's given me a CD with these files and wants to read her old Netscape mail messages, but can't figure out which data file would go where on the new machine. I thought I remember 'translator' type utilities/programs that could be used to read the mail in a text file, or imported to another mail reader.

Do you know of such a program? I haven't had much luck with searches and throw myself at your techie mercy so I can save face with mom.

Worse luck. I just realized that this disc is a DVD and guess what I don't have here? So, this utility needs to run under WinXP home.
Fingers crossed, thanks in advance!
meauxna
Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:48 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Computer help plea

Old Jun 10th 2005, 8:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

hard drive recovery companies can recover data on most hard drives, even ones that have been burnt..well some data at least, but unless it's serious data, it isn't worth it, costs anything from a couple hundred to a few K...as it's done in those special sealed off environments with the alien jump suits

But anyway, errr....where the files and types are would depend on her system, was it Xp home like yours?

And if get no luck here, try:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/

http://www.geekstogo.com/index.php There both really good puter help sites
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Ok, one of you clever computer types must know where to look for this.. my mom's 'puter crashed & the hard drive was fatal. She took it to her local shop and when they said it couldn't be fixed, she asked if they could recover her files.

She's given me a CD with these files and wants to read her old Netscape mail messages, but can't figure out which data file would go where on the new machine. I thought I remember 'translator' type utilities/programs that could be used to read the mail in a text file, or imported to another mail reader.

Do you know of such a program? I haven't had much luck with searches and throw myself at your techie mercy so I can save face with mom.

Worse luck. I just realized that this disc is a DVD and guess what I don't have here? So, this utility needs to run under WinXP home.
Fingers crossed, thanks in advance!
meauxna
You'll find most mail clients will import each other's data. I can't help you with Netscape, but Google 'netscape outlook import' and you'll probably get somewhere.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

is netscape a web based mail service like gmail or hotmail? if so cant you get it off the net?

Sorry i'm not a techie so should probably shut up!
Old Jun 12th 2005, 6:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You'll find most mail clients will import each other's data. I can't help you with Netscape, but Google 'netscape outlook import' and you'll probably get somewhere.
that's the one, a-l.. just couldn't get the right search to hit!

Thank you all

PS: Tone-- A for extra effort.. would forward that one on to mom but for the language