Reload this Page >

Computer Hard Drives

Computer Hard Drives

Old Aug 10th 2002, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

ftheone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Computer Hard Drives

Hi,
My fiancee's boy asked me if he could bring his computer's hard drive with him when he comes to America. Does anybody know if that will be a problem?
I took some memory chips along with me at Christmas time and they plugged right into his computer and worked the first time. They have 220v. power over in Moscow and his computer and monitor will not work over here. But I think the hard drive will plug right into most any computer over here and work with no problem.
I was wondering about the information and games and stuff he has on the drive. He is a 19 year old self taught computer whiz and he has Windows 2000 and Linux and only he knows what else.
Does anybody have any experience with bringing a computer or computer hard drive and/or floppy disks with them on an airplane in either check-in or carry-on luggage and through the POE.
Thanks for any information.

Fred
Old Aug 10th 2002, 5:37 pm
Mark Lambert

Default Re: Computer Hard Drives

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Hi, My fiancee's boy asked me if he could bring his computer's hard drive with him
    > when he comes to America. Does anybody know if that will be a problem? I took some
    > memory chips along with me at Christmas time and they plugged right into his
    > computer and worked the first time. They have
    > 220v. power over in Moscow and his computer and monitor will not work over here.
    > But I think the hard drive will plug right into most any computer over here
    > and work with no problem. I was wondering about the information and games and
    > stuff he has on the drive. He is a 19 year old self taught computer whiz and
    > he has Windows 2000 and Linux and only he knows what else. Does anybody have
    > any experience with bringing a computer or computer hard drive and/or floppy
    > disks with them on an airplane in either check-in or carry-on luggage and
    > through the POE. Thanks for any information.
    > Fred
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
I brought in a computer from Australia with no problems. ANd a couple of years ago
imported one from the US to aus again without problems.

he can bring his whole computer with him if he likes. Most modern computer power
supplies are dual voltage... look for a red switch on the back of the power supply
with a 110 and 240 setting. Or they are autosensing. Look all over the power supply
box (inside the case as well) for a label.. if the input voltage is 110~240vac, you
can simply buy a new cord for it and will work.

at worst, you will have to replace the power supply with a 110v one.. which will cost
you about $15usd at most computer parts shops. mind you get the motherboard power
lines right, but your kid sounds like he can do that.

all internal components for PC's are standardised voltage things that work in any
country because a PC power supply takes whatever mains voltage is supplied and gives
out 3v, 5v and 12v DC current.

Monitors arent worth the shipping cost (they are so heavy the shipping is more than a
new monitor) and rarely have dual voltage capability. Figure on buying a new monitor.

Components like drives etc arent usually a problem, esp if they look like they've
been taken out of a system. What I'm trying to say is that customs dont bother with
second hand parts, no duty is payable, but if you bring in a brand new expensive
component in a box, they might try to charge import duties.

Floppy disks can be damamged by some airport scanning systems.. ask before putting
them on hte conveyor. CD's can't be. The hard disk should be OK, people take their
laptops through them all the time.

In short, he should have no problems bringing in most of his computer systems.

--
There are mushrooms that can survive weeks, months without air or food. They just dry
out and when water comes back, they wake up again. And call the helldesk about their
password expiring. -- after Jens Benecke and Tanuki the Raccoon-dog, in ASR:

Old Aug 10th 2002, 5:55 pm
sid
Forum Regular

sid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ftheone
Hi,
My fiancee's boy asked me if he could bring his computer's hard drive with him when he comes to America. Does anybody know if that will be a problem?
I took some memory chips along with me at Christmas time and they plugged right into his computer and worked the first time. They have 220v. power over in Moscow and his computer and monitor will not work over here. But I think the hard drive will plug right into most any computer over here and work with no problem.
I was wondering about the information and games and stuff he has on the drive. He is a 19 year old self taught computer whiz and he has Windows 2000 and Linux and only he knows what else.
Does anybody have any experience with bringing a computer or computer hard drive and/or floppy disks with them on an airplane in either check-in or carry-on luggage and through the POE.

Fred
Computer parts are standard throughout the world. He should be able to connect the hard drive to a PC here and have no problems. Just make sure it's the compatible type (EIDE or SCSI). Since your boyfriend knows about computers he should not have any problems. Also have him check the back of the PC. The power supply should have a tiny red switch with which he can change the voltage supply (110V or 220V).

As far as customs or security is concerened, I recommend that you carry the hard drive in your luggage. This will be less hassle because a hard drive in your carry-on will surely seem like something "weird" on their X-ray machines. Chances are that you will be told to open you carry-on luggage for a security check.

Good luck.

-Sid
Old Aug 10th 2002, 5:59 pm
sid
Forum Regular

sid is an unknown quantity at this point

Oops!! Looks like Mark beat me to it! How's that for free tech support?!
Old Aug 10th 2002, 6:09 pm
Denis Barlow

On 10 Aug 2002 16:32:01 GMT, ftheone <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi, My fiancee's boy asked me if he could bring his computer's hard drive with him
    >when he comes to America. Does anybody know if that will be a problem? I took some
    >memory chips along with me at Christmas time and they plugged right into his
    >computer and worked the first time. They have
    >220v. power over in Moscow and his computer and monitor will not work over here. But
    > I think the hard drive will plug right into most any computer over here and
    > work with no problem. I was wondering about the information and games and
    >Fred
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Hi Fred,

Most computer power supplies are switchable between 220v and 110v. Even if the one
he has is not it would be a simple thing to buy and fit a 110v power supply when he
gets here. Should cost about $50. As for the monitor you are right about that not
working but if he brought his computer/mouse/keyboard etc and then fitted a 110v PSU
and bought a monitor it wouldn't cost him much at all. If he just plugged his hard
drive into a PC here he may not have all the right drivers installed and that could
cause problems.

Denis

Old Aug 10th 2002, 9:08 pm
Alex Wilson

My $0.02.

if your boyfriend does decide he only wants to bring the hard disk. As a previous
poster pointed out he might not have the correct drivers to reliably start up the PC.

In this situation, i recommend he installs the hard drive a secondary drive
(depending on SCSI or EIDE). then copy all the files he needs onto the primary
hard drive.

if he decides he wants to use his hard drive as the main disk in the system, he
should copy the files he needs to the primary drive, format the secondary drive (his
drive) and either GHOST an image back onto the formatted drive, or just clone it - he
can then swap out the disks and it all should work just dandy.

Although it would be much easier to just bring his entire PC. MOST if not ALL PC's
are pointed out are dual voltage, and the power supply only output a 3v smooth or a
5v smooth (Direct Current) from a 120~240 AC Supply.

He can buy a new power supply for about $20 (depending on his PC) and bolt that into
the case - which would work fine.

he can trace the cabling back from his existing pc and it will all match up
correctly.

although he should note if he is going to buy a new Power Supply, always buy one of
the same power rating as his existing one, i think the AMD Durons need atleast 300w

hope this helps and sorry for re-iterating other posts.

Cheers, Alex

Old Aug 10th 2002, 10:09 pm
Hilary

> > My fiancee's boy asked me if he could bring his computer's hard drive with him
    > > when he comes to America. Does anybody know if that will be a problem? I took
    > > some memory chips along with me at Christmas time and they plugged right into his
    > > computer and worked the first time. They have
    > > 220v. power over in Moscow and his computer and monitor will not work over here.
    > > But I think the hard drive will plug right into most any computer over here
    > > and work with no problem. I was wondering about the information and games
    > > and stuff he has on the drive. He is a 19 year old self taught computer
    > > whiz and he has Windows 2000 and Linux and only he knows what else. Does
    > > anybody have any experience with bringing a computer or computer hard drive
    > > and/or floppy disks with them on an airplane in either check-in or carry-on
    > > luggage and through the POE. Thanks for any information.

<snip>

> As far as customs or security is concerened, I recommend that you carry the hard
    > drive in your luggage. This will be less hassle because a hard drive in your
    > carry-on will surely seem like something "weird" on their X-ray machines. Chances
    > are that you will be told to open you carry-on luggage for a security check.

But as it will contain valuable information, I'd advise NOT to do this. There's less
chance of it getting lost/damaged in your carryon.

You should never check bags containing valuable or irreplaceable possessions, or
things like papers. Airlines only compensate by weight (unless your name is Mrs V
Beckham) so your data, antique jewellery, birth/marriage certificate, etc., will not
really be covered.

--
Hilary

Old Aug 10th 2002, 10:11 pm
Hilary

> My fiancee's boy asked me if he could bring his computer's hard drive with him when
    > he comes to America. Does anybody know if that will be a problem?

I'd also advise him to backup the data to another computer/server. A friend's
computer, or a reliable ISP, just in case there are any problems. Many backup
programs allow you to take a "snapshot" of the hard drive, backing up *everything*,
which is great for situations like this.

--
Hilary

Old Aug 11th 2002, 3:37 pm
Jjoe

hello ftheone,

As I understand he has dual boot computer running Win200 and Linux.

Options are:

1. Back up the data - write data to CDs.

2. Bringing hard disk and installing it into another computer may not work, since
MBR (master boot records) are altered by putting two operating systems onto one
computer. You need another Linux computer: install as a secondary drive and
mount Windows partitions and Linux partitions separately. This of course require
that he knows exact size (tracks) of the partitions - very tricky. Windows
operating system is not capable of recognizing Linux filesystem, but Linux can
"see" Windows.

3. Use ISP and back up files to remote server. After he gets to the US download the
files. This is similar to 1 above.

4. Bring the computer with you : bulky luggage.

I recommend 1.

Computers are cheap here, DELL sells for $600 and come with Windows XP and that is
whole another story.

Good luck, joe

ftheone wrote:

> Hi, My fiancee's boy asked me if he could bring his computer's hard drive with him
    > when he comes to America. Does anybody know if that will be a problem? I took some
    > 220v. power over in Moscow and his computer and monitor will not work over here.
    > Fred
    > --

Old Aug 12th 2002, 10:04 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ftheone:
Hi, My fiancee's boy asked me if he could bring his computer's hard drive with him when he comes to America. Does anybody know if that will be a problem?

Fred
Fred, FWIW, I brought my hard drive from the US to greece and had originally hoped to plug it into a borrowed computer as a primary drive, but ended up with it as the secondary, due to some of the problems mentioned above. What this mainly meant is that I could not run most *programs* (easily anyway) but I did have access to all my files. If the boy is all you say he is, he will have no problem. Tell him to bring the cds of programs wants to run, but buy his hardware in the States. I brought my HD in my hand baggage so that if anyone was suspicious (and they were) I could be there to explain. There was no problem getting it through several US and international airports.
Old Aug 12th 2002, 10:09 pm
Morkai Kurst

I've taken my tower with me on all 6 of my trips to the US. Never had a problem with
it. I pack it up in a big box with plenty of padding and check it in with my luggage.
I fly with continental and it's always come out the other end looking identical to
when I put it in. All the damage on the box is down to Fed-Ex the one time I dashed
into the airport 5 mins before my flight was due to leave and they wouldn't check it
in for me. So my partner had to send it back for me.

I usually get some funny looks from the customs people when I tell them what it is
but they have never raised more than an eyebrow at what they obviously seem to think
is my daftness. The most pertinient question was when I went over in feburary and she
asked me why I was bringing my tower. I said I was staying with friends for a couple
of months and couldn't bear to be without my computer for that long. She laughed and
waved me through.

Others have mentioned the hardware issues if you just take your hardrive so I won't
repeat them. I guess it depends what you use it for, mine is a fairly high spec
games machine and I just can't afford to replace the internal hardware when I get
over there. I have a dual power supply that I just flip the voltage switch over when
I get out there. (although I've burned several out on my return when I forgot to
flip it back!)

If its just a bog basic comp then take the drive and put it in as a secondry one in a
new system to get the files off of it. If he needs to retain the use of it as it is
due to lack of software disks, or you can't afford to just buy a new tower then
package the tower up and bring it with him. Any external hardware is easily and
cheaply replaced like mice and keyboards. Monitor is a bit more but that again
depends on what you want. A 15" basic monitor with no frills should only put you back
100 bucks or so.

Morkai

"ftheone" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Fred
    > --

Old Aug 12th 2002, 10:48 pm
Not4uinga

Back in 1995, I took a PC with me to London Gatewick Airport from the USA and
customs detained me for 4 hours! They thought, that since I was bringing a desktop
computer with me, my intent was to immigrate to the UK on a permanent basis. This was
crazy as I was on a H1B visa sponsored by an USA employer and I had a return trip
ticket back to the USA in 2 weeks.

I got so frustrated with the custom officials that in the end i just left my PC at
Gatewick and picked it back up 2 weeks later on my return trip back to the USA.

It sounds crazy but its true!

Old Aug 13th 2002, 12:06 am
Betastar

On 12 Aug 2002 22:48:34 GMT, [email protected] (NOT4UinGA) wrote:

>Back in 1995, I took a PC with me to London Gatewick Airport from the USA and
    >customs detained me for 4 hours! They thought, that since I was bringing a desktop
    >computer with me, my intent was to immigrate to the UK on a permanent basis.

This was the flag that got Reinhard turned around when he was trying to visit before
we were engaged.

They didn't like that he had a big computer with him.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 3:35 pm
L D Jones

Morkai Kurst wrote:
    > I've taken my tower with me on all 6 of my trips to the US. Never had a problem
    > with it. I pack it up in a big box with plenty of padding and check it in with my
    > luggage. I fly with continental and it's always come out the other end looking
    > identical to when I put it in. All the damage on the box

Wouldn't it be easier to get a laptop? :-)

Old Aug 13th 2002, 5:18 pm
Morkai Kurst

> Wouldn't it be easier to get a laptop? :-)

I can't afford a laptop that will let me play EverQuest, Camelot, Warcraft 3 etc etc.
The system reqs of those games mean I need a powerful machine with a top notch
graphics card. My partner and I are avid gamers and thats why I take my computer with
me. Our friends regulary hold lan parties and I wanted to take part in those as well.

Laptops are just not cutout for that sort of thing and certainly not any that I
can afford.

Nice thought, if it had just been for email and net access then yes,
definately easier

Morkai