Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

computer buying question!...

computer buying question!...

Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of
Default Re: computer buying question!...

I'd look carefully at the warranty if I were you. The recent price war between manufacturers has led to companies (particularly Dell) cutting back the basic warranties to something like 90 days or so ... if you want a longer one you have to buy it. For peace of mind, and if you're new to computers, you should probably be considering a two or even three year warranty. You can save money by not getting the in-home service option, although that would mean being without the unit longer while you mailed it in (probably at your own expense).

Anyhoo, to summarize, take a careful look at the length of the warranty when you see that nice, cheap holiday price on whatever website you're looking at!

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
we bought a Compaq pressario 7600? back in 2000, it was our first computer,we had an unGodly ammount of problems with it,to cut a long story short!,we had to replace everything on it,including the monitor!,needless to say we will NOT ever buy another Compaq...all we have left of it now is the monitor(2nd)the keyboard and the speakers...we have been considering a new computer this Xmas,would we be better off buying a complete new package of just a new tower?
I was reading the other thread on here about the processor types and the one we have now is an AMD Athlon,just still got win.98 in it but we want something so we can download music and do basic internet,email and messenger type stuff,the CD burner burned out even though we only used the thing once!,our tech guy said that is pretty common....I thought it was just our curse!
Please don't be too technical....I just know how to email,send and receive pics and do the very basic things on here although I am beginning to understand a bit more!!!.....be gentle ....PLEASE!......Sophia
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you can, dont' bother get a system that comes with shite software, save a fair bit of money, M/S Works is shite, the new office is a slug....and for free, can get Open Office, which works just as well, and fully compatable with Office files.

AMD is better value for money...Dell isn't bad if you don't have a clue about computers or want to faff about with upgrading yourself, but for the money, if you could probably find better systems out there, custom spec a system cheap enough and easily enough these days....stay away from Gateway though...and don't get the bundled printer that comes with most computers, lexmark and HP, not bad quality, but you'll be paying through the nose for ink cartridges, your probably better off getting a laser printer for black and white for $50, and if you need a colour printer, get one later, Epson have great quality prints and better ink, the prints won't fade, and per print are cheaper in the long run...
Thank you all for your input!....looks like it's going to be a Dell for us.. it's probably the best buy for what we want,the HP computers look like a good choice as well,but I'm pretty wary because they merged with Compaq!,although my tech guy did tell me that Compaq is a pretty good computer now,just not the one we bought!!,strangely typical!!!....you're absolutely right,Bob,about the printers,the ink cartridges are a crazy price!,the one which came with our Compaq took the big expensive cartridges and we found that they dried out long before they were used up...so we invested in a Canon i350...it's perfect for the amount we print,and the cartridges cost a lot less!,plus I have a refill kit,so it works out pretty well,and they're SO easy to change even I can do it in a few seconds!!!.....Thanks again everyone....Sophia
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas
just bought this one for the daughter for christmas

Dimension E310 - P4
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 521 w/HT Technology (2.8GHz,800FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition Qty: 1
Unit Price: $959.00
Dimension E310 Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 521 w/HT Technology (2.8GHz,800FSB)
Memory 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz -2 DIMMs

Keyboard and Mouse Bundles Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse

Monitor 17 inch Ultrasharp™ 1704FP Digital Flat Panel
Video Card Integrated Intel® GMA 900
IV
Hard Drive 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
80S
Floppy Drive and Media Reader No Floppy Drive Included
NFD
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Modem 56K PCI Data Fax Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
CD or DVD Drive Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
Sound Integrated 2.0 Channel High Definition Audio
Speakers Dell A425 30 Watt 2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No Productivity Suite - Corel WordPerfect® word processor only
COREL
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Security Subscription
Digitial Music Musicmatch by Yahoo!™ Music- Entry level with 90 days of On Demand
Digital Photography Corel Photo Album™ 6 Starter Edition - Organize and Edit your photos
Hardware Warranty 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service and Support
Operating System Backup & Recovery PC Restore recovery system by Symantec

Dell Home Customers: Save $250 off this Dell Dimension E310!
Expires on 2005-12-01 12:59:59 - $250.00

Dell 720 Color Printer
Free Dell Color Printer 720 Qty: 1
Unit Price: $0.00
Dell Color Printer 720 Free Dell Color Printer 720
XPR720
[464-2027]

Hardware Warranty 1Yr Ltd. Warranty, 1 yr HW Warranty Support, 1 yr Advance Exchange

Free 720 printer with purchase of select Dell Systems.
Expires on 2006-01-01 11:59:59 - $0.00

ADDITIONAL DISCOUNTS AND COUPONS

Dell Home Customers: Free Ground Shipping on Dell Dimensions greater than $549! $24 Handling Charge Applies
Expires on 2005-12-01 12:59:59 - $74.00

Sub-Total $709.00
Shipping Discount -$74.00

Shipping $ 25.00

Tax $60.56
Total $794.56
Are you related to Ray? I mean, you're both in Tampa, FL and both Dell fans...
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Are you related to Ray? I mean, you're both in Tampa, FL and both Dell fans...
Hardly... it not good enough for them ..they are going to Texas..
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:54 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Dallas 2 months now and love it only trouble is its -4 degrees tomorrow that will be a real shock after 2 years in Florida
Old Dec 5th 2005, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas
I've been in Dallas 2 months now and love it only trouble is its -4 degrees tomorrow that will be a real shock after 2 years in Florida
Ah, but it'll feel like a proper Christmas again won't it! I'm coming up for my third in Florida, and I'm starting to miss Christmas weather. Put some decorations and lights up yesterday so as not to look a complete scrooge on the grizwald street where we live, and the sun was just blazing down. It just ain't right!
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:02 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan725
Ah, but it'll feel like a proper Christmas again won't it! I'm coming up for my third in Florida, and I'm starting to miss Christmas weather. Put some decorations and lights up yesterday so as not to look a complete scrooge on the grizwald street where we live, and the sun was just blazing down. It just ain't right!

Its finally got cold in Texas this week
I dont even wish for snow anymore, because it aint gonna happen
Old Dec 27th 2005, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Ok guys!!....thanks for all your help....we ended up buying an HP 3500 AMD Athlon 64, a media center...so far, so good!,although when I went to hook my scanner and webcam up they were incompatable,so because we'd only had the package for 10 days we were able to upgrade the HP printer to one of the all-in-ones (printer,scanner,copier),and my son bought me a new Logitec webcam/mic for Xmas!
It was quite a big decision,choosing between this and a Dell,the thing that made our mind in the end was being able to just go to the store and buy the computer,rather than having to order it over the phone,because,knowing our luck,something would've been damaged or have to be sent back!...i.e. the scanner hiccup!...Love the flat panel monitor!,my desk is SO much tidier!,I'd forgotten how big the desk was!
Anyway,thank you for your help again....hope you all have a Happy New Year!...Sophia