Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Compulsory ID Poll

View Poll Results: Should compulsory ID be brought into law ?
I agree that everyone should be required to carry ID.
53.03%
I disagree that everyone should be required to carry ID.
46.97%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Compulsory ID Poll

Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:01 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compulsory ID Poll

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
But why bother replacing a passport?

A passport isn't compulsory and it's a damn big thing to carry around..
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I had to show my Passport before my Interview and my Medical, all a bit odd really.
But you knew that was coming...
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
A passport isn't compulsory and it's a damn big thing to carry around..
So why do you need a compulsory ID?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
What is wrong with ID cards? If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.
I agree, there is nothing wrong in the idea, BUT I do have a considerable fear factor involving its implentation here in the UK. I have seen time and time again, this Government reduce the national security of the UK and its natural citizens to almost zero.The object of this subject has been brought about by the number of people whose ideaology is basically world domination by force but to reduce the borders of the country to where they can just be allowed to enter without checks,which is, stupidity in itself. A much tougher stance has to put on all people who enter or have entered the UK. No proper current checks are conducted on health issues(this is an unreported greater danger to the whole population) or previous criminal activities, let alone terrorist activities.The idea in general is probably welcome but in a way that is now described as 'racist'.When we have so many forms of I.D already in our possession for day to day life, why is it neccessary for it to cost so much,(it costs almost zero for a credit card with personel details on them)and that is a major factor in people saying 'No' to the suggestion.Its seen as another 'Stealth'tax by H.M.G and not seen for the right reasons. In the shambles which is the Home Office can you imagine the chaos I.D cards, will bring with the wrong info put on them by mistake ?.they think that the I.D cards will be the be and end all of ID but that depends on who puts the info on it and what is placed on it and can I, as a ID holder, check what will be on mine and whether it is actually correct.I am very afraid by the thought and I have nothing to fear normally.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:27 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't need one but I'm not too fussed either way because I have a drivers license, passport and social security card - I'M ALREADY PLUGGED INTO THE MATRIX.

It really shouldn't be compulsory though. There may be benefits to having certain types of national ID cards - but if an individual chooses not to partake of those benefits - they shouldn't be forced to do so, IMO.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:30 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

National security is a good arguement.
PR's have to carry cards at all time, but a USC does not. So is someone without a card a USC, or an illegal alien, or a tourist. A compulsory ID card would answer that question.

Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:35 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you like it or not you are already carrying several ID cards with you most of the time while being in the US (I am assuming that you are British) i.e. your driving license and green card.. and these are quite useful to you when you are asked for an ID, aren't they?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:54 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you like it or not you are already carrying several ID cards with you most of the time while being in the US (I am assuming that you are British) i.e. your driving license and green card.. and these are quite useful to you when you are asked for an ID, aren't they?

Again: ID cards may be useful in certain situations, but I strongly object to having to carry one all the time. Before moving to the US I can recall only a handful of occasions where I had to prove my ID. Even now, every time I go back home, I never have to show ID anywhere. I would prefer to keep it that way.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:55 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. They tend to be more useful to the person doing the asking. The times when I genuinely feel like it is in my best interest are comparitively rare.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
Again: ID cards may be useful in certain situations, but I strongly object to having to carry one all the time. Before moving to the US I can recall only a handful of occasions where I had to prove my ID. Even now, every time I go back home, I never have to show ID anywhere. I would prefer to keep it that way.

They are compulsory in Spain and they ask you for it all the time.. Even in the shops.. you can't use your credit/debit card without it..
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:59 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

They are compulsory in Spain and they ask you for it all the time.. Even in the shops.. you can't use your credit/debit card without it..

Well, all I can say is that I sincerely hope that the UK will never go down that road...
Old Dec 27th 2006, 5:08 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415201

Originally Posted by Elvira
Well, all I can say is that I sincerely hope that the UK will never go down that road...
Old Dec 27th 2006, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Helps me?

How does carrying an ID card help me?

No one needs to know my ID on a daily basis.
You often need to show it with credit card? Or do I just look shifty?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 5:30 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
You often need to show it with credit card? Or do I just look shifty?
So long as the credit card is signed, it is the policy of Visa that you are NOT asked for ID. But because the store knows you have an ID, they demand to see it. Here you see an example of how ID abuse begins. Might not seem like much to you, but everything starts somewhere....
Old Dec 27th 2006, 5:33 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
So long as the credit card is signed, it is the policy of Visa that you are NOT asked for ID. But because the store knows you have an ID, they demand to see it. Here you see an example of how ID abuse begins. Might not seem like much to you, but everything starts somewhere....
Having to show your driving license to return goods at stores used to piss me off, especially before I got one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.