Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Completing W4 for First Time

Wikiposts

Completing W4 for First Time

Old May 1st 2007, 2:35 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Completing W4 for First Time

Originally Posted by PhilH930
Finally someone thats agrees with me!
It ain't that simple though. Have you looked at the worksheets on the back of the W4? When you combine salaries and file taxes, you may for example find yourself in a different tax bracket. If you only use the front of the form, remember that tax is taken out of that salary on the basis of that salary alone - not the combined income of both of you. If the two salaries are significantly different, expect to be royally screwed next April unless you do some more research first.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:08 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Claim the correct amount of dependents, i.e. you and your wife, and I guarantee you will not be overpaying the government but underpaying them and will have to owe at the end of the year.

Why are so many people unwilling to put in a few bucks too much on taxes? Are you really going to save that $20 or $40 a week and how much interest will you earn on it anyway. Hell with today's interest rates rather than a check from the feds for $1,500 in time for a nice winter vacation then have to pull it out of the bank.

..............at last, someone who shares my opinion.

Septics are so at odds with the idea of the Feds getting any money from them that a few dollars taken from a paycheck is anathema..........rubbish. If it means you have a cleaner tax-filing day (or week-end ) then let them have the $20 or $40 extra........you dont miss it and its nice to get a 2k or even 3k refund every year.

So..........if like me, you have 2 younguns and an OH, a mortgage and a cat........then suggest the one who earns more takes the deductions (my case 4) The one whose paycheck is lower, or fluctuates - claim zero. That way you aren't "over deducting" and you get a nice windfall.
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:21 am
Just Joined

PhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the help and opinions. I took it all onboard, and have since submitted my W4 only claiming 1 deduction, mirroring my what my wife had done.