Reload this Page >

The complete relocation checklist

The complete relocation checklist

Old Nov 25th 2012, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Surreyguy24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The complete relocation checklist

Hi all,

In Feb 2013, my family and I will be embarking on our new adventure and heading to LA. Right now I'm forever writing and adding to my to-do list so I wondered if I could draw on the experience of my fellow forumists and try and pull together the ultimate relocations checklist from what to do to wrap things up in departure country all the way through to arrival and setting up in the new destination.

Would really appreciate any input and recommendations.

Thanks
Paul
Old Nov 25th 2012, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The complete relocation checklist

Ta da -
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/List_o...n_about_Moving

There are also very good 'leaving to do' and 'arrival to do' lists in the Canadian section of the Wiki, which would be worth a look.

HTH, good luck.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Really appreciate your reply.

I searched in the forums first but couldn't find anything, didn't try the wiki area though.

Thanks again
Old Nov 26th 2012, 5:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to LA, the state, or Los Angeles the city?

Makes a difference for any local tips folks might have, but pretty much everything else is covered in the wiki.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

LA the city, well Agoura/Thousand Oaks area actually.

Thanks!
Old Nov 26th 2012, 10:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surreyguy24
Really appreciate your reply.

I searched in the forums first but couldn't find anything, didn't try the wiki area though.

Thanks again
Did you use BE's search engine? There are plenty of old threads on relo packages and also threads about moving to LA.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

SoundsFishy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Surreyguy24

This would be useful for me too - I did go through the wiki - but found myself wanting more detail! We're heading out in January.. also to LA.. and I would be happy to share my 'to-do' list with you so we can compare and compile ?

We're trying to think of everything from all the things needing to be done when selling the house.. through to selling the car.. and sorting out getting the dog over there

The only thing that's making it a bit less daunting is that our plan is to just travel with what will fit in a couple of suitcases... no relocation payments here ! So, basically, everything has to go from the house... either the tip, charity shop or parents loft !

Send me a PM if you'd like to combine forces on the to-do list though !

Ian
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should consider sharing a container! Yeah okay, the logistics wouldn't be worth the saving.

I think an LA gathering would be in order early next year?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

SoundsFishy is an unknown quantity at this point

We're taking so little with us, I'm sure even sharing a container would be a waste ! We have managed to get a REALLY good deal on an upgraded flight though through a friend, which means we take 3 x 32KG cases each... or in our case a couple of cases and 4 cardboard boxes of bits and pieces !

Certainly the LA meet up sounds like a good idea... And do you have a 'to-do list' that you used Geoff ?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoundsFishy
And do you have a 'to-do list' that you used Geoff ?
Not really, I used the ones on here as a guide. However, this morning I discovered that we've been receiving child benefit since April so I've had to own up to that and set aside £568 for that - luckily most of it is still in the UK account. So we didn't remember everything! I think we got credits off the gas, water, electric, and TV license which was a nice surprise.

The main advice I can offer is to get as much done as soon as possible, because my last week was extremely fraught with still working, the family already gone, and just me to finish emptying a 4-bed house with a garage waist deep in mostly junk. My parents ended up finishing the job after I left for the US!