Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Complaining about a company...

Complaining about a company...

Old Sep 25th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of
Default Complaining about a company...

Does anyone know of who I can complain to in the US (I'm in VA) if I feel I have been ripped off by a company?

Long story short we got ripped off big style by a window replacement company...the rep said our money would buy us super windows and what we got installed were not the super amazing windows he showed us.

I want to complain and make people aware...I bloomin wish I had got my video camera out and videoed him saying "yes you will get the amazing windows" just so I had proof of what the evil person said to us.

It has REALLY bummed me out. Money is so tight anyway and ugh it makes me so mad and sad
Old Sep 25th 2009, 5:40 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complaining about a company...

Originally Posted by welshgirl1 View Post
Does anyone know of who I can complain to in the US (I'm in VA) if I feel I have been ripped off by a company?

Long story short we got ripped off big style by a window replacement company...the rep said our money would buy us super windows and what we got installed were not the super amazing windows he showed us.

I want to complain and make people aware...I bloomin wish I had got my video camera out and videoed him saying "yes you will get the amazing windows" just so I had proof of what the evil person said to us.

It has REALLY bummed me out. Money is so tight anyway and ugh it makes me so mad and sad
http://www.bbb.org/
Old Sep 25th 2009, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried contacting the BBB (better business bureau)? they have a website online, not sure if you have to 'join' to complain.

Did you not get anything in writing about the 'super windows'?
Old Sep 25th 2009, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

When we were filling out the paperwork we asked what the code he was writing down stood for and he gave us some words...so we asked for clarification that this meant the super amazing windows and he said yes it did.

I will check out the BBB now, thanks for that
Old Sep 25th 2009, 5:50 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshgirl1 View Post
:
BBB
Local news - those consumer section of news etc
State Attny Office.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

State Contractor's Board too; they have to be locally licensed.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 7:42 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart View Post
Have you tried contacting the BBB (better business bureau)? they have a website online, not sure if you have to 'join' to complain.
Really easy, just fill in the online form for the complaint with as much details as possible.

They were rather handy when I had a complaint about a company, the company called me up and sorted the problem out within a day of the complaint, someone much higher up the food chain too.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

I just registered a complaint with the BBB for my removal company. Not sure what will come of it, but after 3 months and still nothing delivered, an invoice for double what the quote was and then extra charges that were not made clear I felt it necessary to do something!
Old Sep 25th 2009, 8:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112 View Post

They do diddly about complaints.

You're better off contacting the attorney general's office in your state government's office and filing a complaint with them. Also if you have the equivalent of a consumer advocacy group in Virginia, contact them.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 11:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post

You're better off contacting the attorney general's office in your state government's office and filing a complaint with them. Also if you have the equivalent of a consumer advocacy group in Virginia, contact them.
Couldn't agree more. BBB are a marketing organization.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Better-B...buye-eq4fb.htm
Old Sep 25th 2009, 11:45 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Depends....some shit companies that don't care probably won't get much joy, but larger companies do tend to comply with complaints.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 11:49 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I did a quick Google and found the following:

Virginia Attorney General's Office
Hope that helps!

~ Jenney
Old Sep 26th 2009, 12:12 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Leave us a monkey in an envelope behind the bar at the Knob and Pteradactyl along with an address and next Tuesday we'll send the boys 'round.

Be a shame if their van got a little bent or the hat stand ended up in the secretary.

Joey and Luiggi Vercotti
Old Sep 26th 2009, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Did you pay by CC?