Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Compassionate flights to the UK

Compassionate flights to the UK

Old Nov 19th 2006, 3:07 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Compassionate flights to the UK

I thought I would post an update on my trip back to England.

I checked in for my flight and at the boarding gate, literally as I was about to walk down the ramp to the plane, the BA Special Services agent called me to one side, tore up my boarding card and re-issued another one. They had upgraded me to World Traveller Plus. It was very nice too, a bulkhead aisle seat and the window seat next to me was empty. (Entertainment was good - and I finally heard latest Brit sensation Lily Allen on the audio channel....liked her music so much that I bought her CD in Tesco's!)

My husband picked me up at Heathrow and we drove around the M25 to Essex. He had been staying at an hotel near the Broomfield hospital, halfway between Chelmsford and Colchester. I was getting a bit peckish so we called into a village pub near the hotel but could only have a drink as the kitchen was closed (it was after 10pm). We got a Chinese takeaway and went to the hotel at about 11 -ish.

Just before 1am the phone rang; it was Pete's sister with the news that his mum had died within the past hour. Their aunt was in the hospital room but was very distressed that she had dozed off whilst her sister had died - a nurse had awakened her to say that MiL had "gone".

As you can imagine, it wasn't easy to get to sleep - was relieved that my husband had a little sob - but nothing could be done and Pete's sister went to fetch their aunt from the hospital. In fact...since it was the weekend nothing was going to happen until the Monday.

The next morning was beautiful - sunny and quite warm. I noticed that the geraniums outside the hotel were still in full bloom. We decided to go to nearby Maldon (where the sea-salt is from) which is a pretty town in the Thames estuary and where we often took our kids when they were little. It was 11 November....Armistice Day. Everyone was wearing a poppy (including everyone on live television that day...) and we saw elderly servicemen proudly wearing their medals. Boots the Chemist even had a two minute silence at 11am. It all seemed quite poignant that MiL had died on this particular anniversary. There is a parish church near the riverside where the barges are moored but my husband said he couldn't face going in, so we continued on our stroll and bought 99 ice-cream cones..!

At lunchtime we met up with Petes sister and his twin brother and family who had driven over from Yateley (Hants/Surrey border) and we all had a pub lunch. In the late afternoon we drove up to Coventry to stay at my sister's for the night so I saw my mum too.

We returned to London on Sunday evening; Pete's sister and aunt were going to arrange getting the death certificate and booking the funeral etc. so Pete decided to go into the office at the company's HQ in Canary Wharf and work there, unless his sister needed him. On the Monday I went to Westminster Abbey as I'd never been there before. All the wreaths of poppies commemorating the servicemen from the UK and Commonwealth countries were on display outside....it made me quite introspective and realised that we just have a fleeting moment of time on this earth.

Two days later I went back to Westminster to see the procession for the State Opening of Parliament....got a great spot and saw Tony Blair, a smirking John Prescott and the Queen & Prince Phillip, Princess Anne in an open carriage and Prince Andrew in another one.

It transpired that the cremation could not take place that week; Chelmsford, Cambridge, Colchester and Harlow were 'booked' out and Chelmsford could not do a service until Thursday 23rd Nov (Thanksgiving Day)....yet MiL had died on the 11th! The service will now be in Harlow at 3.30pm on Tuesday 21st.

I did meet up with sister-in-law, Pete's aunt and the curate to discuss the plan for the service; (the aunt was upset that m-i-l didn't want flowers and she's going to buy a small wreath anyway and a non-religious service) but my husband decided that it would be best for me to fly back to New Jersey; we had left our son (only just turned 18) home alone and didn't want to leave him for two successive weekends on his own. I flew back to Newark, arriving late on Thursday evening.

All in all it was a bit of a wasted journey....but I was glad that I was there for Pete when he learned of his mother's demise. The official cause was septicemia and urinary tract infection, but it also stated diabetes and vascular dementia.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compassionate flights to the UK

I'm sorry for your loss, and for the delay in the cremation, but pleased that BA offered a bit of support and that you were able to be there with the family.

Also, I'm glad that you took found a bit of comfort/time to reflect. I took my inlaws to the Abbey when we lived in London and I really enjoyed it--it's a magnificent place. There is such a sense of history, and I can imagine the scene on the 11th must have been very touching.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
I'm sorry for your loss, and for the delay in the cremation, but pleased that BA offered a bit of support and that you were able to be there with the family.
Thank you.

They were great at BA. I took a copy of the death certificate to check-in when I was returning (wasn't able to check-in online but thought this was blocked as they wanted to see proof). The lady at check-in saw the envelope but said that she didn't need to see it - although she did say that some people do 'try it on' which is why they like to ask for proof if they don't seem genuine (about getting a huge last-minute travel discount). I was lucky to be given an emergency exit aisle seat.

My husband wanted to re-book his flight for next Wednesday so we had to go to ticketing...again the agent didn't want to see the death certificate.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Thank you.

They were great at BA. I took a copy of the death certificate to check-in when I was returning (wasn't able to check-in online but thought this was blocked as they wanted to see proof). The lady at check-in saw the envelope but said that she didn't need to see it - although she did say that some people do 'try it on' which is why they like to ask for proof if they don't seem genuine (about getting a huge last-minute travel discount). I was lucky to be given an emergency exit aisle seat.

My husband wanted to re-book his flight for next Wednesday so we had to go to ticketing...again the agent didn't want to see the death certificate.
Sorry to hear about your MIL. It must have been awful for you and your husband to have to part before the funeral. I've always wondered about that myself...if anything happened to our parents and we rushed straight over and the funeral was a week or two later...would we stay or come back and fly back to the UK for the funeral.

IMO BA have always been very helpful...pity Continental is our only choice. You cannot check in on line to depart from British airports...security reasons I think.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

IMO BA have always been very helpful...pity Continental is our only choice. You cannot check in on line to depart from British airports...security reasons I think.
We are the same it's only Continental, but I did read here once that someone had gone through Continental and were treated very good, so that was reassuring to know
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:54 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I thought I would post an update on my trip back to England.

I checked in for my flight and at the boarding gate, literally as I was about to walk down the ramp to the plane, the BA Special Services agent called me to one side, tore up my boarding card and re-issued another one. They had upgraded me to World Traveller Plus. It was very nice too, a bulkhead aisle seat and the window seat next to me was empty. (Entertainment was good - and I finally heard latest Brit sensation Lily Allen on the audio channel....liked her music so much that I bought her CD in Tesco's!)

My husband picked me up at Heathrow and we drove around the M25 to Essex. He had been staying at an hotel near the Broomfield hospital, halfway between Chelmsford and Colchester. I was getting a bit peckish so we called into a village pub near the hotel but could only have a drink as the kitchen was closed (it was after 10pm). We got a Chinese takeaway and went to the hotel at about 11 -ish.

Just before 1am the phone rang; it was Pete's sister with the news that his mum had died within the past hour. Their aunt was in the hospital room but was very distressed that she had dozed off whilst her sister had died - a nurse had awakened her to say that MiL had "gone".

As you can imagine, it wasn't easy to get to sleep - was relieved that my husband had a little sob - but nothing could be done and Pete's sister went to fetch their aunt from the hospital. In fact...since it was the weekend nothing was going to happen until the Monday.

The next morning was beautiful - sunny and quite warm. I noticed that the geraniums outside the hotel were still in full bloom. We decided to go to nearby Maldon (where the sea-salt is from) which is a pretty town in the Thames estuary and where we often took our kids when they were little. It was 11 November....Armistice Day. Everyone was wearing a poppy (including everyone on live television that day...) and we saw elderly servicemen proudly wearing their medals. Boots the Chemist even had a two minute silence at 11am. It all seemed quite poignant that MiL had died on this particular anniversary. There is a parish church near the riverside where the barges are moored but my husband said he couldn't face going in, so we continued on our stroll and bought 99 ice-cream cones..!

At lunchtime we met up with Petes sister and his twin brother and family who had driven over from Yateley (Hants/Surrey border) and we all had a pub lunch. In the late afternoon we drove up to Coventry to stay at my sister's for the night so I saw my mum too.

We returned to London on Sunday evening; Pete's sister and aunt were going to arrange getting the death certificate and booking the funeral etc. so Pete decided to go into the office at the company's HQ in Canary Wharf and work there, unless his sister needed him. On the Monday I went to Westminster Abbey as I'd never been there before. All the wreaths of poppies commemorating the servicemen from the UK and Commonwealth countries were on display outside....it made me quite introspective and realised that we just have a fleeting moment of time on this earth.

Two days later I went back to Westminster to see the procession for the State Opening of Parliament....got a great spot and saw Tony Blair, a smirking John Prescott and the Queen & Prince Phillip, Princess Anne in an open carriage and Prince Andrew in another one.

It transpired that the cremation could not take place that week; Chelmsford, Cambridge, Colchester and Harlow were 'booked' out and Chelmsford could not do a service until Thursday 23rd Nov (Thanksgiving Day)....yet MiL had died on the 11th! The service will now be in Harlow at 3.30pm on Tuesday 21st.

I did meet up with sister-in-law, Pete's aunt and the curate to discuss the plan for the service; (the aunt was upset that m-i-l didn't want flowers and she's going to buy a small wreath anyway and a non-religious service) but my husband decided that it would be best for me to fly back to New Jersey; we had left our son (only just turned 18) home alone and didn't want to leave him for two successive weekends on his own. I flew back to Newark, arriving late on Thursday evening.

All in all it was a bit of a wasted journey....but I was glad that I was there for Pete when he learned of his mother's demise. The official cause was septicemia and urinary tract infection, but it also stated diabetes and vascular dementia.

So very sorry for your loss. I hope that everyone is bearing up okay during this very difficult time.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about your Mother in law, but at least you were there for your husband.
I know how hard it is.
Cant believe how booked places are for the funeral.
We had peterborough crem. Dad had a humanist service and it was very good.
He didnt want flowers from people.We just did one from us and one from the Grandkids. Donations to Mesothelioma was what he requested. But no one gave any.
Sorry, side tracked there.

Glad you are back safe and that you were treated well on your flights.

Take care.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:35 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

I am very sorry for your loss but glad to hear that you've been treated so well by the airline.
Old Dec 10th 2006, 4:19 pm
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice

I was in a vewry similar situation about a month ago, I got the phone call that my motyher was very ill in hospital and to get over there right away, my wife phoned BA and they offered me a flight for over 2000 dollars. I registered on expedia.com and got a flight with one layover for 640 dollars. I never tried the compassionate flight thing before so its good to know.

Our motheres were close, mine was in Romford, Essex.
Tomorrow would have been her 71st birthday.

Just to say to anyone who dreads being far away from aging loved ones. I dreaded it for months, it was almost like something was preparing me for it. I always thought i wouldnt be able to deal with it and end up mental or something. Strangely something gives you the stragth to deal with it and dont for one monute think that you shoulodnt have left, or should move back home. We all make decisions in life and you cant go kicking yourself afterwards about them. So, just carry on! Just sayin, incase anyone worries.

My thoughts go out to you Englishmum.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for your loss.

Do the staff at BA a favour and write a letter of thanks. I'm sure that they get lots of complaints......so send them a compliment.

Nice to know they pulled out all the stops at your time of need.

Jim.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

For a funeral: a death certificate will do to get the compassionate fare.

The compassionate fare is really the same fare as if you had been able to book in advance.