Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Comparison of US and UK qualifications

Comparison of US and UK qualifications

Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:09 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Comparison of US and UK qualifications

Does anybody have any recommendations for how I would go about obtaining a comparison of UK to US qualifications?

I've attempted a search on here but for some reason the search page will not accept the word 'qualifications'.

Can anyone remember any previous threads or do you have any recommendations or experiences?
Old Jan 19th 2005, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparison of US and UK qualifications

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Does anybody have any recommendations for how I would go about obtaining a comparison of UK to US qualifications?

I've attempted a search on here but for some reason the search page will not accept the word 'qualifications'.

Can anyone remember any previous threads or do you have any recommendations or experiences?

What qualifications do you have, and are you relying solely on them to get a job? It didnt matter to me, as I had 12 years experience in my line of work. I think I put down associates degree or somesuch, being as I had been to Poly but left after a year...but no one really cared at job interviews (even those that have said I needed a bachelors degree, because my experience outweighed it...)

No doubt someone else will be able to give you a more scientific answer, I just kind of made it up with what I thought was the appropriate level education (which was of no real consequence anyway due to experience)
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Does depend what the qualifications are....for things like HSE and NAAIDT, I just went to there websites and emailed them asking what the US equivalents were, that and asked some old uni lecturers....and a couple people here were able to help. Hasn't helped me get a job yet, but at least people will understand what kind of qualifications they are...
Old Jan 19th 2005, 2:15 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

looks like qualification is such a long word for the search tool. ummmh

i tried qual* in USA, US immigration, US visa and the lounge and still came up with nothing useful.

try google, but you're better of with an expat recommendetion. my immigration documentation are beyond my reach in the basement.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:31 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gross50
looks like qualification is such a long word for the search tool. ummmh

i tried qual* in USA, US immigration, US visa and the lounge and still came up with nothing useful.

try google, but you're better of with an expat recommendetion. my immigration documentation are beyond my reach in the basement.
I think most such posts used the word "degree". These should keep you busy:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=degree

Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:44 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

www.wes.org

www.ece.org
Old Jan 19th 2005, 4:04 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

You can always try Google with a query such as:

qualifications site:britishexpats.com
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

paulecoyote is an unknown quantity at this point

Well my wife was looking into getting a teaching qualification over here but has since decided against that. To do that though, they sent her to this place she can't remember off the top of her head to do a offical coversion of the grades.

There's this rough grade though:

http://www.rdg.ac.uk/UnivRead/vr/Vis...conversion.htm

Last edited by paulecoyote; Jan 19th 2005 at 9:21 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Teaching is a tough one, as each state has different requirements too....
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulecoyote
Well my wife was looking into getting a teaching qualification over here but has since decided against that. To do that though, they sent her to this place she can't remember off the top of her head to do a offical coversion of the grades.

There's this rough grade though:

http://www.rdg.ac.uk/UnivRead/vr/Vis...conversion.htm
If she does go for certification, call the local state board and ask them which agency they rcommend to "translate" her credentials. Otherwise you can end up paying for it twice.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

paulecoyote is an unknown quantity at this point

ah dont worry about that - she's not interesting in teaching + we are based in the UK so it's the other way around I guess. The UK are doing tons of teaching course perks right now but I dont think she would qualify anyway, not having an LEA that would claim her!!!

I expect though the above posters suggestions about contacting a university or school in the country you want to work in to ask about coverting grades could be a great way to go to get a definite answer. Universities (colleges) especially - people from all around the world can end up teaching at one of those places. There must be a central body for dealing with that stuff.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Comparison of US and UK qualifications

ah dont worry about that - she's not interesting in teaching + we are based in the UK so it's the other way around I guess. The UK are doing tons of teaching course perks right now but I dont think she would qualify anyway, not having an LEA that would claim her!!!

I expect though the above posters suggestions about contacting a university or school in the country you want to work in to ask about coverting grades could be a great way to go to get a definite answer. Universities (colleges) especially - people from all around the world can end up teaching at one of those places. There must be a central body for dealing with that stuff.
To my knowledge (I'm no authority but I have done some research on the topic), there is no Federal or State body that oversees accreditation of foreign academic qualifications.

This means anybody in the US can set up a business offering services to accredit/convert a foreign academic qualification. So, if you really want to pursue this quest, you should take care.

Personally, there has been no need to convert my academic qualifications since moving to the US since I think I clearly conveyed them in a manner intelligible to most Americans. I didn't bother trying to convert my class of degree to a GPA for example. Such a score might be more appropriate for someone who's recently graduated though...
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
T....I didn't bother trying to convert my class of degree to a GPA for example. Such a score might be more appropriate for someone who's recently graduated though...
With a straight out convert, I'd come across as thick as a breeze block....credits were done so differently and all that *lol*
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

There must be a central body for dealing with that stuff.
Ah, I can you still have the delights of US bureaucracy to deal with. There’s never one agency for anything. Always multiply by about five.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know, in laymans terms, what A levels are worth? It hasn't really mattered to me and still doesn't, I've just assumed its like "high school", although I get the impression a US high school diploma isn't quite the same?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.