Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Comparison sites

Comparison sites

Old Jun 6th 2020, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Burg3r is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Comparison sites

Hi I am moving to upstate New York in august. I have started looking for insurance, phones, cars and the hundred other things I need to sort now.

in the Uk I use comparison sites to find mobile phone deals and compare car insurance is there anything similar in the USA?

I’ll be sorted out by my employer once I arrive but that only till I am settled. Any advice on where to look for phone deals and car insurance (want to see if I can insure a big American truck!)
Old Jun 6th 2020, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparison sites

I've never really found a good insurance comparison site like you get in the UK.

Insurance will be expensive with no driver history and a new license so be prepared for that - I paid over $2500 for my first car insurance policy and had quotes of $5-6k from some companies.

Just try the big companies - Geico, Progressive, Farmers, Allstate, Liberty Mutual to start.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burg3r
Hi I am moving to upstate New York in august. I have started looking for insurance, phones, cars and the hundred other things I need to sort now.

in the Uk I use comparison sites to find mobile phone deals and compare car insurance is there anything similar in the USA?

I’ll be sorted out by my employer once I arrive but that only till I am settled. Any advice on where to look for phone deals and car insurance (want to see if I can insure a big American truck!)
For car insurance you might consider an independent agency- local in your town. They sell from a variety of insurers and can give several options. Also they are local and you can walk into their office when any claim problems arise. Many large but little known insurers work thru independent agents and don’t need to spend millions in advertising. Who is not sick of watching Flo and lizards hawking insurance? Guess who pays for all that advertising?
Old Jun 6th 2020, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Many large but little known insurers work thru independent agents and don’t need to spend millions in advertising. Who is not sick of watching Flo and lizards hawking insurance? Guess who pays for all that advertising?
It has occurred to me that those companies could lower their premiums if they reduced their enormous advertising budgets. But I suppose advertising was the main reason they got big and stay big.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with post to seek an independent agent to find you the best deal. Don't go one attached to an insurer. Let them do the work of shopping around.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Burg3r is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, the guys out there now have set my expectations to paying a fair bit more than I would I do now in the Uk. Thank you for response
Old Jun 6th 2020, 6:33 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

(want to see if I can insure a big American truck!)
If you're talking a regular light truck (F150/Silverado) or even the HD versions (F250) they are just regular passenger vehicles for insurance purposes.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 12:29 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

For mobile phones, there are usually 3-5 major carriers, but who provides the best coverage can be somewhat localized, depending on how rural of an area in Upstate New York (cities are usually fine, but smaller towns can have zones that don't have the best coverage). If you are moving to a small place, my recommendation is to ask your neighbors what carrier they are using and how strong the signal is. If moving to a town, then ATT, TMobile, Verizon are the big three.