Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Comparing the States

Comparing the States

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 2:02 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Question Comparing the States

Just interested to hear your opinions of how the different States compare to each other, in relation to crime, housing, transport, weather etc. What is your favorite State (even if you don't live there) and which is your least favorite or the one you'd least likely live in. What makes a State a good one? Is the the low crime levels, the exciting metropolis or the wide open spaces and big houses? Do you prefer hot, cold, humid, dry, or something with all the seasons?

Personally, I love NY because it's NY...only one like it. Although it's a huge state and I've only seen NYC I still think it's exciting and vibrant and very cool, but in my old age I'm looking towards something a little more peaceful, and New England has everything for me. I love the seasons and the New England style. It has European flavors which is probably why I feel so at home there. I'm trying to get a handle on the crime situation, but it seems quite different to England. Lots of petty crime here at home, but when the crime happens in the States it's major! California has always fascinated me and I'd love to see it, but I'm confounded by the no-go areas and the crime there. I can't imagine being shot just for driving down the wrong street but it happens.

States I'd least likely live in include Alabama, Arkansas, Tennesee, Montana and Nebraska...simply because of their reputation and the fact that some of them are quite remote. I've never been to any of them and it's all speculation but I guess I'm allowed to have an opinion, even an uninformed one.

All in all the USA is an amazing and diverse country, and I'd like to explore it all before I die.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparing the States

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I guess I'm allowed to have an opinion, even an uninformed one.
Dont let Patrick hear you say that, you know its against the rules!.

I have to say that my favorite state is Arizona, but this is the only one I have lived in for an extended period so that I have done things other than as a tourist and due to the large amounts of the state that I have seen on the road trips I have taken since moving here. I have spent a great deal of time in San Francisco(Cal) and Boston(Mass), but couldnt say either was in my favorite state, as I havent seen most of what either had to offer, despite having friends there, and probably seeing more of both citys than the average tourist see's. Same goes for the other 10 plus states I have visited in America. I'm just damn happy here, regardless of any one thinking that I'm on a "honeymoon" period, or that eventually my utopia will come crashing down, just cause the're a misrable git!. Living here and visiting are two different things, but 23 trips to most of the main citys, sure softened the blows, compared to some who barely know a thing about the country they are moving to, or maybe only visited once or twice before getting their visa.

I'd probably least like to live somewhere in the south or Nebraska. Once you've seen one corn field, you've seen them all.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point

Raise a family, shovel snow, then Nebraska is your place! We lived there five long years. Not a bad place, if one does not mind being asked everything twice. Once for the accent, and twice for the question. Now...where was I then? *S*

No state or country has everything, as we all know. That being said, I will always take California for the weather, and the US in general for the kind spirit. Sadly, England comes up short on both.

Going back? I think not, the longer one lives in the USA, 'Going Back' is more a state of mind than reality. Time marches on, the mind does not, for what it holds dear. Cherish it, and live in the present.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just interested to hear your opinions of how the different States compare to each other, in relation to crime, housing, transport, weather etc. What is your favorite State (even if you don't live there) and which is your least favorite or the one you'd least likely live in. What makes a State a good one? Is the the low crime levels, the exciting metropolis or the wide open spaces and big houses? Do you prefer hot, cold, humid, dry, or something with all the seasons?

Personally, I love NY because it's NY...only one like it. Although it's a huge state and I've only seen NYC I still think it's exciting and vibrant and very cool, but in my old age I'm looking towards something a little more peaceful, and New England has everything for me. I love the seasons and the New England style. It has European flavors which is probably why I feel so at home there. I'm trying to get a handle on the crime situation, but it seems quite different to England. Lots of petty crime here at home, but when the crime happens in the States it's major! California has always fascinated me and I'd love to see it, but I'm confounded by the no-go areas and the crime there. I can't imagine being shot just for driving down the wrong street but it happens.

States I'd least likely live in include Alabama, Arkansas, Tennesee, Montana and Nebraska...simply because of their reputation and the fact that some of them are quite remote. I've never been to any of them and it's all speculation but I guess I'm allowed to have an opinion, even an uninformed one.

All in all the USA is an amazing and diverse country, and I'd like to explore it all before I die.

I should like to point out that portions of Montana are actually quite scenic. I highly recommend you take a tour through this state, you will enjoy it.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Stay outta the "black belt" in the South and you'll find wonderful places to live. That's about all you need to know at a minimum.

The crescent-shaped region known as the Black Belt stretches from Texas to Virginia. As noted by Arthur Raper in his 1936 study Preface to Peasantry, this region historically has been home to “the richest soil and the poorest people� in the United States. In his autobiographical work Up from Slavery, Dr. Booker T. Washington observed that he had "often been asked to define the term ‘Black Belt.’ So far as I can learn," he wrote:

the term was first used to designate a part of the country which was distinguished by the colour of the soil. The part of the country possessing this thick, dark, and naturally rich soil was, of course, the part of the South where the slaves were most profitable, and consequently they were taken there in the largest numbers. Later and especially since the war, the term seems to be used wholly in a political sense—that is, to designate the counties where the black people outnumber the white. (Washington, 1965, p.68)

In the roughly two hundred counties comprising today’s Black Belt, over half the population is African-American.

The Alabama Black Belt extends from Mississippi's border through the heart of the state. From DeSoto’s meeting with Tuskaloosa to the birth of the Confederacy and the civil rights struggles of the mid-twentieth century, it was here that some of some of Alabama's most significant historical events occurred. It is an area rich in cultural traditions and the strength of its people. Unfortunately, however, it is also an area in dire need, confronted with economic stagnation, declining population, and insufficient health care and schools.

Alabama black belt:

http://blackbelt.ua.edu/map.html
Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jaytee
Stay outta the "black belt" in the South and you'll find wonderful places to live. That's about all you need to know at a minimum.

<<snip>>

Your post was mostly a copy and paste of someone else's description of the "Black Belt". What's your opinion or are you just "stirring"?

NC Penguin
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:06 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I've been to Ala-damn-bama and I didn't notice a divide! I have friends there (as a matter of fact they are gay) -- They have lived in Bama all their lives, but never mentioned this to me!

It's a dozy kinda place... a man closed his gas station to help me find my way back to the high-way... Pleasant friendly folk, young and old always had a quick smile for my kids too!

Ya'll come back now ya here!

I have 2 favourite states CT and VT... both have 4 seasons! Nothing better than that!

Sunburnt bum in summer and cold hands in winter... that's me.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:21 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get the map picture. Which bit is the black belt and which isn't???
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:25 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
I've been to Ala-damn-bama and I didn't notice a divide! I have friends there (as a matter of fact they are gay) -- They have lived in Bama all their lives, but never mentioned this to me!

It's a dozy kinda place... a man closed his gas station to help me find my way back to the high-way... Pleasant friendly folk, young and old always had a quick smile for my kids too!

Ya'll come back now ya here!

I have 2 favourite states CT and VT... both have 4 seasons! Nothing better than that!

Sunburnt bum in summer and cold hands in winter... that's me.
It's great living in Florida during the summer, but call me crazy, I like to have a change of season and the temps to drop a bit more. I always liked coming home (during the winter in England) to a warm cozy house and sitting in front of the fire with a cup of tea. Oh well, can't have it all ways!

PS I 've just reread the map and I get it now!!! (bit slow this morning)
Old Nov 6th 2003, 1:30 pm

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
It's great living in Florida during the summer, but call me crazy, I like to have a change of season and the temps to drop a bit more. I always liked coming home (during the winter in England) to a warm cozy house and sitting in front of the fire with a cup of tea. Oh well, can't have it all ways!

My dad is in North East Florida, but loves coming up here in the Autumn to see the leaves etc.

You can come too if you like!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:04 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

At least Texas gets 2 seasons, HOT and COLD.

Monday 82 deg - today 42 with a real feel temp of 38 deg then on saturday back to mid 70's. you have to have a complete wardrobe here!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 2:42 pm
my arm aches

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
My dad is in North East Florida, but loves coming up here in the Autumn to see the leaves etc.

You can come too if you like!
I would love to come, but can just imagine the other half saying "you're going to visit who? "
The cost would probably his first thought though! He had palpitations last night looking at the cost of car hire for trip home in December. I'm sure he's wondering if we can get away without one for the entire time.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:46 pm

I would love to come, but can just imagine the other half saying "you're going to visit who? "
The cost would probably his first thought though! He had palpitations last night looking at the cost of car hire for trip home in December. I'm sure he's wondering if we can get away without one for the entire time.

I drive to FL... it's about 21 hours, but I LOVE to drive!

I'd like us all to attempt a get together in the New year... maybe NC because so many of us are there and it is halfway for CT and FL!

Pssssst don't tell Pulaski!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 5:10 pm
my arm aches

That sounds like a good idea. My diary is depressingly blank for the New Year.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Michigan has lots of trees !

thats about it *shrug*

Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.