Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Comparing grocery store prices?

Comparing grocery store prices?

Old Nov 4th 2011, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Hellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really nice
Default Re: Comparing grocery store prices?

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
We use F&E a lot. But Trader Joe's "less crowded"??? Of the stores you mention, TJ's is the most crowded. We avoid TJ's inasmuch as the only two things they have worth buying are Two Buck Chuck and unsalted crunchy peanut butter. Ralphs & Vons have better produce. Our local Albertsons has an excellent butcher. [When we are willing to pay a tad more, Gelsons -- across the street from our local TJ's].

BTW, F&E ice cream is particularly good. We wonder who makes it for them.
Well, the local Trader Joe's is NOW less crowded - they've just opened a 2nd store only a couple of miles away. It used to be ridiculously rammed!
Old Nov 4th 2011, 3:21 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Our Trader Joe's is always crowded but the lines move very fast. I don't get there too often though.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Another thing I've noticed, premie baby formula...most places only sell the Enfilmil Enfacare...bloody expensive.

Some places like Target sell the Similac version, same price.

Walmart is the only place that makes a own brand, which is $9.50

Wegmans is the cheapest of the branded stuff, at $14

Target/Walmart have the branded stuff at $16 and then Hannafords and Stop and Shop have it around $18-19.

It's a tiny tub too, 12 oz or so and barely a weeks supply....about double the price of regular formula, very cheeky.

Oh, Enfamil have those $5 rebate cheques you can use every now and again for these, Similac also send out these rebate cheques but often have the premie stuff excluded :/
You've just taken me back 3 years, my girls were on similac neosure - it was $75 a week for the 2 of them! Giant was the only place that stocked it!
Old Nov 5th 2011, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Allergy meds in Target are around $20 for 30 pills for own brand, but Walmart, they're $10 for 60.
If you want cheap allergy meds, go to Costco. Aler-Clear (Claritin) and Aler-Tec (Zyrtec) are about $15 for 365 and 300 pills respectively, sometimes as low as $10 if they have a sale on.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 1:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
You've just taken me back 3 years, my girls were on similac neosure - it was $75 a week for the 2 of them! Giant was the only place that stocked it!
Yeah, they get you big time, but what can you do...well annoying.

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If you want cheap allergy meds, go to Costco. Aler-Clear (Claritin) and Aler-Tec (Zyrtec) are about $15 for 365 and 300 pills respectively, sometimes as low as $10 if they have a sale on.
Don't have a Costco around here....anywhere around here....but damn, that is good going!

BJ's isn't to bad for price on their own brand too, but hit or miss as to whether they have them in stock when it isn't the summer...which is a bugger.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 4:26 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Costco's brand of Benadryl is $3 and change for 400 pills
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Our Trader Joe's is always crowded but the lines move very fast. I don't get there too often though.
I love Trader Joe's so much that I really can't go there -- I fall into their carefully laid traps and walk out with $100 worth of lingonberry jam and chocolate covered orange slices, but nothing I can actually make dinner with.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:11 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I'm with you. I think that the US has the best and worst prices in the world -- and it's bloody hard work finding the best ones.
We were at Kroger Wed night since it was Senior Citizen night- 5 % off. I was at the laundry detergent aisle calculating the price for Tide, various sizes. There was a young gal staring fixedly at the display and I excused myself as I reached in front of her. She told me CVS had a better price for it AND that there was a 2.00 off coupon in the Sunday paper, making it an even better deal. Bless her heart, she launched into a whole dissertation on coupons and the various stores and I did learn much. She doesn't shop at Publix because it's too expensive, although she confided which Publix has the best prices. She's a single mother with two little ones and her husband's away (not sure what that meant-deployed or prison) so every penny counts.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Costco's brand of Benadryl is $3 and change for 400 pills
I thought they had that but I didn't like Benadryl when I tried it so I haven't looked at it.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 5:13 pm

I thought they had that but I didn't like Benadryl when I tried it so I haven't looked at it.
I use Kirkland(Costco's brand) for quite a few items. I just got a 2 pack of their ibuprofen 500 count each for$8.99. Benadryl can make alot of people tired and shaky. It doesn't affect me that way.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, they get you big time, but what can you do...well annoying.

Don't have a Costco around here....anywhere around here....but damn, that is good going!

BJ's isn't to bad for price on their own brand too, but hit or miss as to whether they have them in stock when it isn't the summer...which is a bugger.
You can order from Costco.com Bob.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can order from Costco.com Bob.
Don't you have to be a member though?

Oh, one thing we just noticed quite a bit cheaper, at Wegmans, canned goods were regularly about 20c cheaper compared to Hannafords and Target, for corn, soups, fruits etc.

BJ's had 24 pack of Blue Moon and the wife beater for $20 which is about $5 cheaper than in town and the Guinness was also a few bucks cheaper too.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:57 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BellaE
I love Trader Joe's so much that I really can't go there -- I fall into their carefully laid traps and walk out with $100 worth of lingonberry jam and chocolate covered orange slices, but nothing I can actually make dinner with.
Totally forgot -- TJ's also carries Empire Kosher turkey breasts. In fact, a lot of their stuff is kosher.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Hellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really nice

One of the things that totally baffles me in grocery stores here is how people will just stand there doing nothing while the checkout girl/guy puts all the groceries through, then just stand there and do nothing while the checkout girl/guy puts all the stuff in bags.

Is their time really so un-precious that they are happy to waste their time doing this? And it's just plain rude - it's like "I'm waaay too important to bag my own groceries, YOU do it, peasant!". AND it adds about 3 minutes to each person in line - in front of me!
Old Nov 6th 2011, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't you have to be a member though?

Oh, one thing we just noticed quite a bit cheaper, at Wegmans, canned goods were regularly about 20c cheaper compared to Hannafords and Target, for corn, soups, fruits etc.

BJ's had 24 pack of Blue Moon and the wife beater for $20 which is about $5 cheaper than in town and the Guinness was also a few bucks cheaper too.
No. You don't have t6o be a member to use Costco's pharmacy or their optical department.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.