British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Compare UK day to US day (Sat) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/compare-uk-day-us-day-sat-427440/)

gardnma Feb 17th 2007 8:19 pm

Compare UK day to US day (Sat)

The dingos actually thought up a good idea for a thread for once........so why not plagirize it?

Lets hear how the typical US/UK Saturday weighs up...........

Today: Saturday, Bright, about 55degF, warmed up.

Up to go to Gym.....took 1/2 hr to get there on interstate. Place packed on a Saturday but still got to use weight room and pool.
Drove 15 mins to Lowes to get DIY stuff.......
Kids hungry so off to Chinese for lunch......$25 Buffet gorging negates effects of workout. Drove.
Went to state liquor store (funny place VA) bought booze.
Stopped in Gas station.......bought fags to further offset effects of workout $2.75

Back home along interstate......total time elapsed about 5hrs.

Kids shot off like rockets to mates' houses.......not seen since.

OK.........UK, just how dull is it really? :confused:

Tbag Feb 17th 2007 9:01 pm

Re: Compare UK day to US day (Sat)

Lets see.................:)

Up at 8.00am cold morning 38... so had Weetabix and hot milk for breaky.

9.30am Went to get a haircut at Great Clips (20mins drive) but had to wait an hour so went to gym and swam some laps..... while waiting. (20mins more driving)

Got hair cut, drove to grocery store got the shopping in.... came home.
Talked to my mum on the phone for 1hr and 45mins.....its now almost 5pm and the day is gone....time elapsed...almost 7hrs.

If I was in the UK .................breakfast the same, possibly swimming the same. Grocery shop the same.....except I would probably have a nice Indian take out meal instead of the stuff to make it myself.
2 hour chat with my mum replaced by cakes from Tesco's over a nice pot of cha......in the same room as mum:)

I can't wait to get there.................:D By the way I know you are looking for UK versions but I felt compelled to partake!

TouristTrap Feb 17th 2007 10:09 pm

Bugger of a day. He's remodeling something with the teens (they're SO happy to be doing this on Saturday!...NOT!) so it has been bang bang bang all day - I've been hiding in the stores and on the phone with a buddy who is coming over later - we'll go hide in another part of the house.

If I was in Europe, I'd have hit the largest mall in Europe with my mama today :D

BritGuyTN Feb 18th 2007 2:10 am

got up and worked on a proposal

picked up some rent

met withg another tenant

met with plumber to fix plumbing stuff

wow. rental house satuday

now sitting down it a insulated car travel mug full of boxed hardys chardonnay since i have no beer and the roads are icy

Silly Sod Feb 18th 2007 2:40 am

Saturday - USA

Weather - cold, the usual foot of snow, temp too low to mention.

Woke at 10am, had a bit of the other; shit shower and shave, checked the news on BBC Frontpage, checked the FA cup, went to wally-world to look for a table cloth and a hoover belt. Bought some popadoms.

Came home, enjoyed the drive because I just passed my driving test yesterday and almost wanted to get a pull so I could flourish my license politely and legally, then started tidying this hell hole apartment up in anticipation of the wifes uncle and aunt arriving for dinner (actually the wife tidied up). Played Half Life 2 on the xbox for half an hour, helped my wife make curry for din dins, and then had a voddy and orange at about 4.30pm because the cold wintry sun was most definitely over the yard arm.

Had a delightful evening with the aunt and uncle who brought half a cow and half a hog for the freezer. The aunt is German so feels like a kindred spirit (who'd have ever thought it ha ha). Watched a DVD and am now watching another and finishing the wine. Great day in all respects.

Saturday - UK, Manchester - weather: drizzly at a guess

Wake at 1pm hungover, hit the pub at 2pm and drink off the hangover. Watch whatever match is playing. Put Bob Marley on the Juke and bitch about work the day before. Get mashed. Head for Manchester city centre. Bitch about work on Monday. Get further mashed. Spend hours looking for a cab home in the rain at 2am after getting separated from my mates before crossing the river on foot. Have a kebab. Get home and sleep on the couch. God love the UK and god bless america.

Rushman Feb 18th 2007 4:23 am

Saturday: (rare Saturday work day)
6.30am: Woken up and told to get out of bed by Mrs.R...refused and said would only comply for a blow job.....woke up again at 7.15am with a nice welt on the right side of my face.

7.15am: Got out of bed and stepped on the cat....nice lacerations incurred....should only need about 6 stitches...stepped into the shower and thought about knocking one out but not enough time so proceeded to get dressed. Couldn't make my mind up between the Lange or the Cartier...so wore the less dressy Seamaster...it is just saturday afterall.

8.00am: Couldn't make my mind up between the DB6 or the Facel Vega but as theres still abit of snow I nicked Mrs. R's Honda and screamed out of the garage and up the end of the road, thrashing the motor as if it were a ginger step child........I thought I was being extremely clever stealing her car for the day until I saw the needle fondling the big fat "E" on the gas gauge.

8.12am: Pulled out of Dunkin Donuts/Mobil with my regular small coffee and $30 lighter. Slipped in The Dark Side of The Moon by Floyd and as I crested the hill at the edge of town I flicked on the Valentine 1 radar/laser detector.

8.55am: Arrived at the place I laughingly call "work" and greeted my fellow workers with my usual greeting .."Morning wankers".

8.55am to 2.30pm: I was present at work....fullfilly my usual capacity of not really doing much but looking really good and doing an excellent job of pretending to be seriously busy solving Earth shatteringly important problems.

2.30pm: My immediate boss left for the day and I followed secretly tailing him closer than his own shadow (something I have become legendary at). I proceeded in a homeward direction while subconsciously thinking what a fucking great guitarist Dave Gilmore is and in the same process depressing myself as after over 10 years of guitar ownership I still play the thing slightly worse than Captain Hook with arthritis in his good hand. I thundered through the Adirondacks at a blistering 45mph for what seemed like a millenium as I followed Billy Bob redneck who was obviously either driving Miss Daisy or carry a 12 pack of Bud light......in his guts. As I reached the nice long straight bit that is halfway home that is known locally as "The nice long straight bit"..I kicked down and tried to pass him...it was at this point that I realised that I didn't particularly like Billy Bob Redneck even though I had never met him before...I think it was something to do with the arsehole deciding at the same point that he didn't want to be passed. This realisation dawned on me as both vehicles were nearing somewhere between 75 and 80mph and appraoching the "OH FUCK!!!!" sharp right hander.

I decided as I hadn't reached side by side yet that discretion would be the better part of valour and backed off for the bend. Billy Bob however didn't see the urgency and keep his foot in it. I don't think I have laughed as much for a good few weeks as his truck rounded the bend straddling the centre line of the road and forced a New York State Trooper to take immediate evasive action along the shoulder.

I could hardly contain myself from a bout of incontinence as I saw the troopers brake lights illuminate and his car start to perform a U turn in my rear view mirror. As I rounded the "OH FuCK!!" bend I temporarily lost sight of him but I had already began the count down. 5--4--3--2--1..There he was again hurtling toward me with all the ice cream van lights flashing and advertising his intent. In what seemed like a nano second he passed me and roared off towards Billy Bob like a badger with it's arse on fire while I took a turn at driving Miss Daisy and doing my best to look innocent....not something I am particularly profficient at.

Within a few hundred yards I came up closer to the Trooper and Billy Bob sitting on the shoulder........Oh how I did laugh.

3.20PM: I arrived home to my usual greeting from Mrs.R...... "Hello Wanker". I ignored this vulgarity..as you all know I am nothing if not placid. "Did the electrician come yet?" I asked. I have been waiting for this particular electrician to come over and wire up our 3 phase generator and my tig welder for some weeks and it has become a constant source of iiritation that he always puts us off or has some pathetic feeble excuse.
"He on his way" came the somewhat matter of fact reply

3 hours later at 6.30ishpm We got a call from the electricians wife telling us that he had been arrested on his way to our house at about 3PM for DUI/DWI.

6.31PM: I kicked the cat (I hadn't forgotten what the little bastard had done this morning and the whole electrician saga added some weight to that kick) and opened a beer.

The rest of this evening will hopefully be something I can laugh at at a later date.

Circus-of-Power Feb 18th 2007 5:39 am

4.30am...up and grumpy..
5.00am Shovelling snow again !!
5.30am Start the journey to work the roads are untreated and a jolly 20 minute drive through the countryside awaits ...
5.50am at work and still grumpy ...last nights beer and curry are not happy
5.55am I am happy.. work colleagues not so ...
8.00am Inform boss he can shove working till 3.30 ... the Englishman is off home at 11 ....beer and curry make an unwelcome return ...
11.00am Off home through 5 inches of fresh snow ..
11.25am Shout at kids and smile
Noon .....Listen to GMR (Greater Manchester Radio) on the tinternet and catch up with the sport ...Wigan win (rugby) ...smile grows even wider ...
4pm ... off to the bar ....
8pm ...Home and in a rather cheerful mood ....
9pm till midnight ...playing on line poker and $37,000 richer (if only it was real and not play money)
Now ....still drinking beer and reading .....

Not exactly awe inspiring ...

dbj1000 Feb 18th 2007 6:05 am

Up at 10am. Rest of family have been up since 8am, but have been too busy thrashing each other at Tennis on the Wii to notice I'm not around. This is a GOOD THING.

...except that I now have 15 minutes to be ready to leave the house for the first of two indoor soccer matches my darlings are playing in.

Fail to make it. Agree to catch them up in my own car when I've had a leisurely shower, shave, breakfast... and a couple of games of tennis.

Arrive at soccer just in time to see the first game lost by one goal due to a shockingly bad ref. Who's the wanker in the black?!

Have lunch at a table in the corner of the soccer shed. Nothing raises a good appetite like the smell of a thousand sweaty kids' soccer socks.

Second game is a whitewash. The Lady Azteks speak no English, but they play a seriously good game of football. We were lucky to walk away with second place in the league and only an 8-1 defeat!

Off home to a nice long video-chat with the family back in London. We all wander in and out of frame, chat about important stuff and mindless chit-chat and generally spend some of our Saturday together. Great stuff.

Feeling peckish, but feel the need to suffer for our food. So on our bikes we jump, and cycle 7 miles to eat Chinese at Pei-Wei's. The 20mph tail-wind on the way was a bad sign for things to come...

...and sure enough, we take over an hour to get home, riding into gale-force winds, with the kids moving so slow they could have crawled home quicker... but it's all good exercise... except that they're already knackered from the soccer.

Kids collapse in front of American Idol, and I get to do my couple of hours of work for the day. Thank god for remote access and laptop computers!

Wife heads out to girls' night out just as kids challenge me to a game of doubles tennis.

Wife not home at 1am, and I'm worried... so what better than to post the whole day's activities here? :D

snowbunny Feb 18th 2007 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Rushman (Post 4417710)
3 hours later at 6.30ishpm We got a call from the electricians wife telling us that he had been arrested on his way to our house at about 3PM for DUI/DWI.

It wasn't the same Driving Miss Daisy bloke from earlier was it? :lol:

britvic Feb 18th 2007 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 4417801)
It wasn't the same Driving Miss Daisy bloke from earlier was it? :lol:

I was goner ask that :D

krizzy Feb 18th 2007 3:09 pm

USA...to much bloody work to do around the garden shed we call home....
UK....lazy day.. eating... watching tv and having afternoon sex.....

Ray Feb 18th 2007 3:19 pm

FFS that was yesterday... I can't remember that far back .....

TimFountain Feb 18th 2007 4:01 pm

Got up around 6:30, called flight service in Dallas for an updated weather briefing, left for Georgetown airport around 8:00. The weather was absolutely clear and blue skies as far as the eye could see, but the wind was from the north at 15 gusting 22 knots, so extra attention to landing would be needed....
The 172 was just out of an annual inspection, which included new flap rollers (flying surface removal always requires extra care) and new exhaust among other things, so I spent another 1/2 hour going over the plane in great detail. I pulled out the plane around 9:00 and did a long warm-up. Called Austin Clearance for my IFR flight plan to Llano. Didn't get what I filed for, but that's normal! Taxied to runway 36 and waited for a learner in a Piper Tomahawk to do the longest run-up and power check in history. Departed the area and once again ATC changed my route to fly, intercepting V558 airway and was then cleared direct Llano when able at 6,000 ft.
The view of the hill country sliding by 1 mile under the plane was fantastic, and the called-for moderate turbulence was no where to be found, just a steady 25 knot wind.
Landed at Llano with a 15 gusting 25K wind, but it was straight down the runway and was no problem. The whole point of the trip was to go to Coopers BBQ pit (www.coopersbbq.com), which is a tradition around these parts. They cook the meat in brick pits; you walk by and choose whatever you want. The sausage and brisket was excellent.
I met up with a load of other pilots who fly in to Llano pretty much every month from San Antonio. They are a great bunch, there were 3 airline pilots and a flight instructor, so of course the conversation naturally turned to flying, planes and anything related to them. Left around 1:00 for a short flight back to Georgetown, VFR with flight following this time. The winds favored going higher so I managed to get up to 9,500 ft before having to descend for Georgetown.
The winds at Georgetown were now more northwesterly, strong and gusting to 25. Landing was faster and firmer than usual.
Filled the plane back up which was rocking gently in the wind, and put her back in the hangar, another pilot in our group of 4 was planning on taking it later.
Rest of the day was taken with a trip to the new Ikea in Georgetown and some food shopping in Round Rock. Sprogs were both tired and grumpy, as we got back late.
Rounded out the evening with a glass of red whilst watching Casualty downloaded earlier from UK Nova. Brill.
Wish I had a few more spousal flying credits as the weather today is great, and the wind has died down.

- Tim

mandpete Feb 18th 2007 5:51 pm

9.30am Got up and pottered around the house.
12.45 pm Took daughter to swim meet
1.00pm Packed husband's suitcase for his business trip to Huddersfield
2.00pm Went to watch daughter in swim meet
5.00pm Went out for dinner
6.45pm Dropped husband off at the train station to catch his train to Newark Airport
8.00pm Daughter's friend arrived for sleepover
9.00pm Husband phoned from the airport - Watched TV with son.
11.30pm Went to bed and told daughter and friend to settle down and get to sleep.
12.30am Went back in to daughter's room to tell them to get to sleep
1.30am Same as 12.30am
2.30am Same again
3.30am Stormed into daughter's room and told them to get to sleep in a not so happy voice
4.00am Finally got to sleep, husband phoned at 8.00am, moaning how awful his Continental flight to Manchester was.

I am now completely bog-eyed and have to take son to his indoor soccer tournament.

All in all a boring Saturday in the Mandpete household.

Brync Feb 18th 2007 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by TimFountain (Post 4418890)
Got up around 6:30, called flight service in Dallas for an updated weather briefing, left for Georgetown airport around 8:00. The weather was absolutely clear and blue skies as far as the eye could see, but the wind was from the north at 15 gusting 22 knots, so extra attention to landing would be needed....
The 172 was just out of an annual inspection, which included new flap rollers (flying surface removal always requires extra care) and new exhaust among other things, so I spent another 1/2 hour going over the plane in great detail. I pulled out the plane around 9:00 and did a long warm-up. Called Austin Clearance for my IFR flight plan to Llano. Didn't get what I filed for, but that's normal! Taxied to runway 36 and waited for a learner in a Piper Tomahawk to do the longest run-up and power check in history. Departed the area and once again ATC changed my route to fly, intercepting V558 airway and was then cleared direct Llano when able at 6,000 ft.
The view of the hill country sliding by 1 mile under the plane was fantastic, and the called-for moderate turbulence was no where to be found, just a steady 25 knot wind.
Landed at Llano with a 15 gusting 25K wind, but it was straight down the runway and was no problem. The whole point of the trip was to go to Coopers BBQ pit (www.coopersbbq.com), which is a tradition around these parts. They cook the meat in brick pits; you walk by and choose whatever you want. The sausage and brisket was excellent.
I met up with a load of other pilots who fly in to Llano pretty much every month from San Antonio. They are a great bunch, there were 3 airline pilots and a flight instructor, so of course the conversation naturally turned to flying, planes and anything related to them. Left around 1:00 for a short flight back to Georgetown, VFR with flight following this time. The winds favored going higher so I managed to get up to 9,500 ft before having to descend for Georgetown.
The winds at Georgetown were now more northwesterly, strong and gusting to 25. Landing was faster and firmer than usual.
Filled the plane back up which was rocking gently in the wind, and put her back in the hangar, another pilot in our group of 4 was planning on taking it later.
Rest of the day was taken with a trip to the new Ikea in Georgetown and some food shopping in Round Rock. Sprogs were both tired and grumpy, as we got back late.
Rounded out the evening with a glass of red whilst watching Casualty downloaded earlier from UK Nova. Brill.
Wish I had a few more spousal flying credits as the weather today is great, and the wind has died down.

- Tim

I know exactly what you mean. I went upto Mountain View, Arkansas today CAVOK all the way also in a 172. I got home and had an email waiting from from a friend of mine back in the UK and moaning that the airfield we used to fly from has been closed due to being waterlogged...Its early days but I love it over here....