Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Company/job search UK/US

Company/job search UK/US

Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:38 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Company/job search UK/US

Can anyone suggest a method to identify companies who are looking to hire people to work both sides of the atlantic? An international job US/UK.

Working/residence either side is not an issue here. So I figure a firm that doesn't need to worry about work visa's and all the stuff (most of you lot have gone through) may find the prospect at least interesting.

..........but, how to find that "niche", if it does exist ???

As for the type of work, I have a pretty decent technical resume (sorry, CV ) and have been employed by firms that anyone in the UK would recognise (Lockheed, Grumman, etc), so I know I could get a job in the UK, but its that "niche" I'm really looking for. Any ideas at all?

I know this sounded like a bit of a pitch but just trying to paint the right picture.

Ta very much!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:55 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Company/job search UK/US

it's ok.

we know what a resume is, no need to explain.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:29 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
it's ok.

we know what a resume is, no need to explain.
??

Just looking for information is all.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

If you're able to work in both places, why wouldn't you just get a job with a UK company in the US, or vice versa, which permits you to transfer across as required?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:16 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

You probably want to find recruitment consultants who specialize in international assignments.

Do you have dual citizenship?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:26 pm
gurt mint nit?

Originally Posted by augigi
If you're able to work in both places, why wouldn't you just get a job with a UK company in the US, or vice versa, which permits you to transfer across as required?
That would certainly be the path of least resistance and first choice. It makes the most sense. Certainly, I've been digging for about 6 months now but I'm not sure the "Resume to HR" route is the best way (Personell guard dogs and all that).
Now applying to a UK company in the UK which has a US presence is the bullseye I am trying to hit.

Someone already suggested to me a couple of websites, I wonder if these "pay sites" are really effective. I'm not management, but do have a B.Sci - more a "worker bee" but wanting to work both sides. Not sure if there's such a calling for what US industry calls "Individual Contributors".

Stll, I'll keep at it - something always happens, it always has.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:27 pm
gurt mint nit?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You probably want to find recruitment consultants who specialize in international assignments.

Do you have dual citizenship?
First part, didn't know there was such an animal - thanks, i'll look into that.
Secondly, yes.

Ta!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:34 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
First part, didn't know there was such an animal - thanks, i'll look into that.
Secondly, yes.

Ta!
This leads to the next question. You work history suggests possibly working with US government contractors. Do you have US security clearance?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:04 pm
gurt mint nit?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
This leads to the next question. You work history suggests possibly working with US government contractors. Do you have US security clearance?
No, I don't. The work I did was separate from the stuff they give to people whose neighbours get character interviews.

Good point tho.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:51 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Smile Re: Company/job search UK/US

Originally Posted by Xebedee
No, I don't. The work I did was separate from the stuff they give to people whose neighbours get character interviews.

Good point tho.
Good. You'll have no conflicts then.

Best of luck with your job hunting.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

best thing as with most jobs is via networking....you tried linkedin.com?
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:04 pm
gurt mint nit?

Originally Posted by Bob
best thing as with most jobs is via networking....you tried linkedin.com?
Not yet, but thats on the list now as well

Cheers.