Commuting

Old Oct 29th 2004, 4:01 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commuting

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Hubby did this on a daily basis or was this flying in at the beginning of the week and returning to Boston at the end?
NC Penguin
He's a pilot and his domicile used to be Raleigh. He'd usually bid for a sched with a later flight taking off and get the earliest poss flight out of Logan. He did that about twice a week for years. Some pilot friends of ours commute east to west coast for work but when they're more junior and sitting reserve they usually end up getting a crash pad near the airport.

My ex was American. I was freelance so I'd fly into DC on the Friday afternoon out of LHR and then head back again on Monday morning and go straight from plane to work. I did it for a year or so and it really took it out of me.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 4:17 pm

cbone is on a distinguished road

Matt, where in NJ are you commuting to/from? I commute to Princeton everyday from PA, takes betwwen 30 and 60 minutes to do 21 miles

Originally Posted by mattbutt
Also forgot to ask about costs, train vs car, i unfortunately wont have the option of public transport as i would much rather sit on a train and sleep than sit behind the wheel of a car.

Im anticipating the fuel bill to be around 160 quid a month.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 4:41 pm
Franklin

Someone :scared: (well it's almost Halloween) told me about a commuter he knew who commuted out of Chicago to their job; the commuter drove car #1 to Metra train station #1, parked up and took a train to Metra station #2 then drove in car #2 to their job site, then at the end of the day drove back to Metra #2 in car #2 and thence train it back to Metra #1 and drive back to their home in car #1. Car #2 would stay parked overnight at Metra stop #2. Car #2 would only "know" the drive between Metra #2 and the job site.

Poor car #2. Cars have feelings too!

Even shoes have "souls" (from RD)

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Oct 29th 2004 at 4:56 pm. Reason: typos

Old Oct 29th 2004, 5:28 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Commuting

Im about to start a new job, and the commute is going to be around an hour each way apporx 60 miles.

Whats the longest commute you have ever had to do ? and what did you think about it?
I personally have never had a commute longer than 90 mins (this was when I was at university).

However, I have a particular friend back in the UK who used to live in Eastbourne and commute to Mayfair daily! She did this for at least three years.

This same friend currently commutes from Maidstone, Kent to central London every day. I think she's a bit mad, especially since she doesn't have a car and the walk from Maidstone station to her house is at least 15 mins (done it myself and it's not at all pleasant in the winter).

I also worked with a guy back in the UK who lived in Ipswich and commuted daily to the City. There were journeys home when he'd fall asleep on the train up to Ipswich and end up in Norwich or somewhere like that!

NC Penguin
Old Oct 29th 2004, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cbone
Matt, where in NJ are you commuting to/from? I commute to Princeton everyday from PA, takes betwwen 30 and 60 minutes to do 21 miles
Currently in Paramus and work in paramus so commute is about 20 mins max, though im moving back to the UK this weekend and will be travelling from Oxford to Rugby which will be M40 - A43 M1 J20, Ive done it a couple of times and it was fine before 8am, around an hour, the only bad time was friday afternoon.

Though Jersey traffice up here on the P'way and Route 80 is bad, though i dont think it comes close to M25 around H'row.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 7:57 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney

Poor car #2. Cars have feelings too!
I had a commute similar to that one for about a year.

I lived on the Isle of Wight, so I would take car #1 to Ryde, catch the hovercraft over to Portsmouth, then take car #2 from Portsmouth to Newbury, Berks. Depending on traffic, the commute would take anything from 2 to 3 hours each way. :scared: Car #2 would live in a parking structure when it wasn't taking me to and from work. Car #1 would wait patiently for me at the dock!
Old Oct 29th 2004, 9:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...though im moving back to the UK this weekend and will be travelling from Oxford to Rugby which will be M40 - A43 M1 J20, Ive done it a couple of times and it was fine before 8am, around an hour, the only bad time was friday afternoon.
Gonna suck at the moment...well they might have finished the road works...should have been finished by now, but don't know if they did or not...and yeah, not too bad before the rat run.....after 8, it's a bugger.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Gonna suck at the moment...well they might have finished the road works...should have been finished by now, but don't know if they did or not...and yeah, not too bad before the rat run.....after 8, it's a bugger.
longest commute I EVER did was 20mins... between Farnborough and Guildford... bad day took it to 40mins.

right now.. I'm 2miles from work... 10mins on a bad day ..woohooo
Old Oct 30th 2004, 12:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
right now.. I'm 2miles from work... 10mins on a bad day ..woohooo
Nice
Longest commute I had was 40 mins in the morn, and then 20 mins on the way home because I missed the traffic, and the morning rat run was shite...

but had a mate commute into london, 3hrs, but now he's got a flat in london, so he's sorted...
Old Oct 30th 2004, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Right now my commute is 26 miles and takes 35 mins - it's pretty much Interstate all the way....

Back in the UK, the longest I had was about an 1 hr 10 minutes, living in LOndon but working inn Watford....

I consider anything up to 1 hr OK, after that, no thanks...
Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:44 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by ScousePete
I had a commute similar to that one for about a year.

I lived on the Isle of Wight, so I would take car #1 to Ryde, catch the hovercraft over to Portsmouth, then take car #2 from Portsmouth to Newbury, Berks. Depending on traffic, the commute would take anything from 2 to 3 hours each way. :scared: Car #2 would live in a parking structure when it wasn't taking me to and from work. Car #1 would wait patiently for me at the dock!

That was a LONG commute ... poor car #2!!!!