Commuting

Old Oct 28th 2004, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commuting

Im about to start a new job, and the commute is going to be around an hour each way apporx 60 miles.

Whats the longest commute you have ever had to do ? and what did you think about it?
Old Oct 28th 2004, 8:57 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Commuting

Chelmsford ---> Oxford Circus 1 1/2 hrs each way if lucky, ******* nightmare, wouldn't go back to that rat race ever
Old Oct 28th 2004, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tone
Chelmsford ---> Oxford Circus 1 1/2 hrs each way if lucky, ******* nightmare, wouldn't go back to that rat race ever
Also forgot to ask about costs, train vs car, i unfortunately wont have the option of public transport as i would much rather sit on a train and sleep than sit behind the wheel of a car.

Im anticipating the fuel bill to be around 160 quid a month.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 9:02 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

An hour is about the most I could cope with (and did once) if you want any sort of life away from work.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 9:06 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Was 3k/yr, now 15 miles each way = 1/2 tank of gas/week. Heaven
Old Oct 28th 2004, 9:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Had a mate commute, took about 3 hours on the train cos of shite time tables...and cost a few grand a year on a train pass...that was a couple years ago though...
Old Oct 28th 2004, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

It takes about 30 minutes or so to travel 19 miles. My wife and I work close together, so we carpool to work. I drop her off and pick her up at night. The journey home always takes a little more than 45 minutes. We avoid the 101 loop at nights though because it's a parking lot. I could always make it to work in less than 10 minutes back in Cambridge. That was the advantage of having a bike that I could weave in and out of traffic on and that also allowed me to do 70mph at 5.45am.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
It takes about 30 minutes or so to travel 19 miles. My wife and I work close together, so we carpool to work. I drop her off and pick her up at night. The journey home always takes a little more than 45 minutes. We avoid the 101 loop at nights though because it's a parking lot. I could always make it to work in less than 10 minutes back in Cambridge. That was the advantage of having a bike that I could weave in and out of traffic on and that also allowed me to do 70mph at 5.45am.
Worst commute I ever did was Yeadon, Leeds to the centre of Manchester via the M62, two hours each way if I was lucky, and I wasn't lucky very often. Three hours each way was my worst day.

I did that for a year before moving out to the US...
Old Oct 29th 2004, 3:03 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I had a year of communiting on and off between London and DC. Nightmare.
Mr Sibsie used to commute from Boston to Raleigh NC.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 4:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have always commuted long distance until about 10 years ago, then walked. Much nicer.

50 mile drive, 65 mile train/tube etc etc, done it do not want to do it again.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 12:15 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

2 hours per day each way, by car, train 2 tubes and foot. Before that it was a 20 mile run. I'm looking forward to living and working close by I tell you !
Old Oct 29th 2004, 12:40 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Vern
Worst commute I ever did was Yeadon, Leeds to the centre of Manchester via the M62, two hours each way if I was lucky, and I wasn't lucky very often. Three hours each way was my worst day.

I did that for a year before moving out to the US...
OUCH, Thats rough. I avoided that road at all costs.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 12:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
<<snip>>
Mr Sibsie used to commute from Boston to Raleigh NC.
Hubby did this on a daily basis or was this flying in at the beginning of the week and returning to Boston at the end?

NC Penguin
Old Oct 29th 2004, 2:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SirTainly
2 hours per day each way, by car, train 2 tubes and foot. Before that it was a 20 mile run. I'm looking forward to living and working close by I tell you !
Wow, 2 hrs thats rough, I thought an hour was going to be bad! Im also going against the flow of traffic so wont be sat start stopping all the time!
Old Oct 29th 2004, 2:10 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mattbutt
Wow, 2 hrs thats rough, I thought an hour was going to be bad! Im also going against the flow of traffic so wont be sat start stopping all the time!
In the bad old days (at the time of the Hatfield crash) I was commuting from Lincolnshire to London (Oxford Circus) and it would take me 3 hours each way. Want to move closer, but can't afford to. Just saving up to get out now LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.