Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Common Entrance Exams

Common Entrance Exams

Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Clapham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common Entrance Exams

This is my first post and one could argue I do not belong here, but I will hope for tolerance. I am an American living in London for five years now. When we arrived my son was 7yrs old and entered into year 2 of a London boys prep school. He has two years to go before he heads off to public school. He has been given conditional places at three very prestigious schools.

Now, it appears I may be relocated back to the US in January. My son wants to keep his option to go to boarding school here in the UK at 13+. Does anyone have any experience with prepping kids for the Common Entrance Exam while attending American schools?
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Entrance Exams

I don't, but have a search, there's a few folks who have kids going to schools back in blighty, I think Englishmum was one of them.

Also depending on where you end up in the US, there are some international/Brit schools...
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Clapham
This is my first post and one could argue I do not belong here, but I will hope for tolerance. I am an American living in London for five years now. When we arrived my son was 7yrs old and entered into year 2 of a London boys prep school. He has two years to go before he heads off to public school. He has been given conditional places at three very prestigious schools.

Now, it appears I may be relocated back to the US in January. My son wants to keep his option to go to boarding school here in the UK at 13+. Does anyone have any experience with prepping kids for the Common Entrance Exam while attending American schools?

it's ok, i'm very tolerant

your son should be able to keep his options open even though moving back to the usa. i know of two yank families that have done just that with both boys now at eton college. if in doubt, place a call with the schools in question and sound them out.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:33 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

My school in the UK was fairly hoity-toity, but I never heard of anyone doing CE exams. I have to confess that I had thought they were abolished years ago. Apparently I am completely wrong!

Have you considered sending your child to an IB school here in the US? I heard that a number of private schools in the UK adopted IB, but don't know how true that is. But you'd get decent continuity...
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
it's ok, i'm very tolerant

your son should be able to keep his options open even though moving back to the usa. i know of two yank families that have done just that with both boys now at eton college. if in doubt, place a call with the schools in question and sound them out.
Eton ain't that fussy though as long as you've got the readies...look at the rabel they've taken in in the past

Nice location though.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar

Have you considered sending your child to an IB school here in the US? I heard that a number of private schools in the UK adopted IB, but don't know how true that is. But you'd get decent continuity...
my friend's child went to IB Bartow in Fl....great school.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
Eton ain't that fussy though as long as you've got the readies...look at the rabel they've taken in in the past

Nice location though.

the readies certainly talks at lots of the schools
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

OK, you have found me out. Yes, he has been accepted tp Eton, but what I do not understand is what are the "readies"?

Sincerely

A US Ex Pat now turning Brit Ex-pat that seems to know nothhing...
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

OK, you have found me out. Yes, he has been accepted tp Eton, but what I do not understand is what are the "readies"?

Sincerely

A US Ex Pat now turning Brit Ex-pat that seems to know nothhing...
ha i guessed as much! btw the readies is the moolah
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:55 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't, yet, I would want to know if your predicament would compromise the 3 offers. My guess it would be the discretion of the schools. I would also wonder if switching curriculums etc so close to sitting the CE exam is going to be an extra burden and distraction too. I went to boarding school and lived overseas.

But, you might want to ask Gabbitas if they have any pointers for you.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:06 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Nice location though.
Handy for Feltham YOI!
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

ha i guessed as much! btw the readies is the moolah
OK, I get it now. So what you are saying is that if I can afford it, they will likely keep his place as long as he can jump through whatever acedemic hoop they require, which will probably not be that difficult.

Now, as an American in London may I ask why opinions are so divergent on whether Eton, Westminster or Harrow are good or bad? People seem to have such strong views and I just do not get it. Are they good schools or not?
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:22 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I get it now. So what you are saying is that if I can afford it, they will likely keep his place as long as he can jump through whatever acedemic hoop they require, which will probably not be that difficult.

Now, as an American in London may I ask why opinions are so divergent on whether Eton, Westminster or Harrow are good or bad? People seem to have such strong views and I just do not get it. Are they good schools or not?
You might relate to asking yourself if Stanford, Yale or Princeton are good schools or not.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Handy for Feltham YOI!
nothing more amusing than seeing the Eton massive giving it large at the burger king in Staines, mixing it up from the one in Windsor
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

They're all good schools, just depends on which one you went to...

But Eton aren't known for being that fussy about entry requirements if you've got the cash to get in...saying that, compared to some other schools, Eton is pretty cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.