Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Coming to America

Coming to America

Old Mar 13th 2002, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

dhoult is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coming to America

I'm a British qualified Accountant planning to move from the UK to live and work in the USA. Has anyone any advice they can give me as to the procedures to follow, along with the things to do/not to do, to make the move as easy as possible?
Old Mar 13th 2002, 4:35 pm
Terje Johan Abr

Default Re: Coming to America

On 13 Mar 2002 11:02:34 -0600, dhoult <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm a British qualified Accountant planning to move from the UK to live and work in
    >the USA. Has anyone any advice they can give me as to the procedures to follow,
    >along with the things to do/not to do, to make the move as easy as possible?

Get a job before you move. It is hard for accountants too right now.

Old Mar 13th 2002, 9:05 pm
Waterships

You won't be let into the country without proper job sponsorship so don't make any
plans until you get one.

"dhoult" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I'm a British qualified Accountant planning to move from the UK to live and work in
    > the USA. Has anyone any advice they can give me as to the procedures to follow,
    > along with the things to do/not to do, to make the move as easy as possible?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 15th 2002, 3:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dhoult
I'm a British qualified Accountant planning to move from the UK to live and work in the USA. Has anyone any advice they can give me as to the procedures to follow, along with the things to do/not to do, to make the move as easy as possible?
You don't say how you are "planning". Have you worked out how you plan to get a visa? Do you fall into one of the eligible categories? If not then planning isn't going to help you much.

I am an ACA myself and I emigrated to New York last November, and it has been the most stressful few months of my life, even with a job to come to, a car preordered, and an American wife who knows about delaing with utilities, social security and obtaining a driving licence.