Colorado

Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:57 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Colorado

I am going to Colorado for 5 days in a few weeks. Flying into Denver with the intent to see some mountains and whatever Denver has to offer.
Any suggestions ? How is driving in the rockies ? We are getting a rental and I'd like to know if a standard size car can handle the mountains ? Are there any bears or buffalos ?
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Colorado

Mountains, look west from Denver.

Driving in the Rockies is no different from anywhere else. Presumably you are not looking to drive off road?

Never seen a Bear, some friends have Bison.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:34 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a nice time there about 5 years ago. We drove fairly high in the mountains in a standard car. A deer did jump in front of it but no other large animals.

Denver seemed quite pleasant, it had a free bus up and down the high street and a good art museum, also Boulder was pretty.

Have a good trip.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold

Denver is a great city (if you like cities), head west on I-70 and you will see some great places.

A normal car will be fine nothing exotic is needed,

Never seen a bear here, have seen a mountain lion though, although I beleive thats pretty rare.

Have you decided on any places to stay, we stayed in a great motel in Grand lake a couple of weeks ago, beautiful scenery and great walks etc. I think it was called Gateway Inn ??
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sally
We had a nice time there about 5 years ago. We drove fairly high in the mountains in a standard car. A deer did jump in front of it but no other large animals.

Denver seemed quite pleasant, it had a free bus up and down the high street and a good art museum, also Boulder was pretty.

Have a good trip.
Colrado I think is twice the size of England.

I am off this weekend, 340 miles each way, and I am not leaving the State.

From Denver, Rocky Mountain National Park is an obvious one, Elk but no Bison. Going over the top is nice but I am pretty sure the road is still closed. I have cycled it, a long long way up.

Or head due West towards the Ski resorts, Georgetown for the train.
Depends what you want to do and how far you want to drive.

Boulder, Pearl Street etc, seems like this weekend the weather will be good. And en route for Este Parks.

Must go. Need to pick the mussus up from DIA.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:30 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by haggerwood
I am going to Colorado for 5 days in a few weeks. Flying into Denver with the intent to see some mountains and whatever Denver has to offer.
Any suggestions ? How is driving in the rockies ? We are getting a rental and I'd like to know if a standard size car can handle the mountains ? Are there any bears or buffalos ?
Head west, when you get to Lookout Mountain you'll see some Buffalo's. Closet I've come to a bear is The Little Bear bar in Evergreen. Get on I-70 and head west until you get to exit 232 (US 40, signed for Rocky Mountain National Park and Winter Park). Take this road and drive up to the National Park and across Trail Ridge road - quite exhilarating. You can drive over the top and through into Estes Park and back into Denver. It's a big loop and can take 4 - 5 hours at a leisurely pace allowing for picture stops/fuel/lunch, etc but it is very scenic. PM me an email address if you want a map.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:30 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky for you, Colorado has some mountains for you to see

Driving in the hills is fine, even in a standard... its not difficult nor frightening at all... unless you were thinking of driving Trail Ridge Road (which is still closed I think) its the highest highway in the US - eight miles of the road are above 11,000 feet in elevation and it reaches 12,183 feet... one sneeze can mean you go off the side of the mountain... so its scary to look out your window to a huge drop.

Estes Park is a fave place to go to.. Rocky Mountain Nat Park and the Stanley hotel (The Shining) are the popular "sights". Beautiful scenery in CO. Sand Dunes are a sight too... in the middle of the Sangre de Cristo range http://www.nps.gov/grsa/ If you're feeling short on funds, go to the Denver Mint!! Ski season is winding down but you might be able to get some skiing in.

Royal Gorge by Colorado Springs is a local thing.. the highest suspension bridge in the world it claims... 1000 ft above the Arkansas river http://www.royalgorgebridge.com/Bridge.aspx

Boulder is a good place to see too. Denver's hub area is LoDo and the 16th street mall. Catch a Rockies game.. go and see Red Rocks.
What sort of things do you like to do? There is a good amount of stuff to do and see, depends what you like. Just don't go for Rocky Mountain Oysters and drink plenty of water.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
Take this road and drive up to the National Park and across Trail Ridge road - quite exhilarating. You can drive over the top and through into Estes Park and back into Denver. It's a big loop and can take 4 - 5 hours at a leisurely pace allowing for picture stops/fuel/lunch, etc but it is very scenic. PM me an email address if you want a map.
Not in April!

Memorial Day is usually the opening.

Last year?, it was closed in June.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Apr 20th 2007 at 4:35 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:39 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tarkak9

Royal Gorge by Colorado Springs is a local thing.. the highest suspension bridge in the world it claims... 1000 ft above the Arkansas river http://www.royalgorgebridge.com/Bridge.aspx
+1 for Royal Gorge. Not sure if rafting is on yet but you can do a "Raft and Rail" http://www.raftecho.com/colorado-raf...s/raft-n-rail/ which is a lot of fun. Of course when you say by Colorado Springs, it's about 1 - 1 1/2 hours away

And +1 for avoiding Rocky Mountain Oysters!

Last edited by Schnorbitz; Apr 20th 2007 at 4:42 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:41 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not in April!

Memorial Day is usually the opening.

Last year?, it was closed in June.
He said in a few weeks - just offering it out there.

OP - the road is closed now but you can check here to get details on current road conditions.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 5:10 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

My Honda Civic does fine in the Rockies, so almost anything you rent will be fine. Some of the rental 'compact' cars seem to have weaker engines than the lowliest ones you can actually buy, so be wary of those. (E.g., I rented a Ford Focus once - had to drop to second to get it up the hill from Albuquerque to Santa Fe - I know that you can't buy a Focus that crappy.)
Old Apr 20th 2007, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=Schnorbitz;4673520]Head west, when you get to Lookout Mountain you'll see some Buffalo's. Closet I've come to a bear is The Little Bear bar in Evergreen.

I go to Evergreen, CO, for a vacation every year and I'm very familiar with the Little Bear Saloon - it's my watering hole while I'm there. Half-way decent food and pretty good live music.

As to which kind of vehicle to drive while there? I always drive my little Corolla and have no problems whatsoever.

Animals? I've seen lots of elk (depending on the time of year) and a black bear once (rummaging around in someone's rubbish bin).
Old Apr 20th 2007, 6:08 pm
The OC

MancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really nice

Glenwood springs is a nice place to spend a day, Also see Garden of the Gods near Colorado springs. The town of Golden has a good railway musem if you like that sort of thing. If you don't, visit the Coors brewery tour also in Golden. You can get a free beer or two .
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

I'd rent something with six cylinders if I were you. A four-banger will be puffing and panting up some of those hills.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:16 pm
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
I'd rent something with six cylinders if I were you. A four-banger will be puffing and panting up some of those hills.
When we went to the smokies it was in the car below. The brakes were never the same again.
Attached Thumbnails Colorado-daewoo.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.