Colorado

Old Jul 11th 2006, 3:39 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colorado

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
The seven tourists on our flight walked briskly through whilst I had to wait inline with the USCs for an hour.
I got detained for allegedly having two green cards. Only took about three hours to clear immigration (also at Houston). GCs aren't always the dog's bollocks.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 3:42 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britontour
Good advice, I know the military give 30 days to get used to the altitude, although I think it takes longer.
I work at 7,500 feet. Employer says 3 - 6 weeks to be 75%, 3 years to get to 100%. Now that I've been here 3 years, I can vouch for that.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I work at 7,500 feet. Employer says 3 - 6 weeks to be 75%, 3 years to get to 100%. Now that I've been here 3 years, I can vouch for that.
My main sport is Squash, I reckon it was a month at mile high to get acclimitised, but I also have played at 7,500 in Estes Park and a bit higher in Evergreen. There certainly is a difference with the extra couple of thousand.

I cycled over the top through Rocky Mountain National Park, for some reason that did not feel too bad, go figure.

I make odd trips to sea level, I used to really notice the difference, the pressure on top of you, but not now.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 5:14 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
At 23 I went to South Lake Tahoe California where the altitude is even higher -- no problems. Same with Santa Fe when I was even younger.

But when I went last year I had to rest significantly longer than usual and I'd get the lightedheadness now and then. I hate getting old!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 5:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
At 23 I went to South Lake Tahoe California where the altitude is even higher -- no problems. Same with Santa Fe when I was even younger.

But when I went last year I had to rest significantly longer than usual and I'd get the lightedheadness now and then. I hate getting old!
Depends on how hard you push yourself, there is a reason Ecuador beat Argentina and Brazil, at home.

And why the Broncos do much better playing at home.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 5:33 am
Powder Maggot

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Usually it's claimed that altitude gets easier to deal with as you get older. Drink a ton of water and stick to meals that are easy to digest. The heat can really suck the life out of you at elevation too. Where I really notice the difference now is even higher - for example I can now bike to 12,000 feet, just the thought of which would have killed me 2 years ago. Everyone's very different and your own experiences can vary tremendously between days.

I do miss getting plastered off of two pints though. OP, enjoy it while you can.

Last edited by AdobePinon; Jul 11th 2006 at 5:36 am.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 5:41 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Depends on how hard you push yourself, there is a reason Ecuador beat Argentina and Brazil, at home.

And why the Broncos do much better playing at home.
True I guess thats why the Olympic training center is here in the Springs.

Thats another place you could visit.

Oh and the Broadmoor Hotel grounds you don't need to stay there to go. Strange really the best hotel in the Springs and its called The Broadmoor.

Last edited by britontour; Jul 11th 2006 at 5:49 am.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Vikki66 has a spectacular aura aboutVikki66 has a spectacular aura aboutVikki66 has a spectacular aura about

Whilst in Colorado, a bit far away from the religous fevour of the Springs, about 100 miles north.

Nice place to visit, and if you play Squash I can recommend a club but unfortunately that is about it.

I have a friend who was born and grew up there, saw the light and now is in Boulder, a totty less environment so I am told. Well he did not have much success. Seems to be doing OK now.

I did not have any problem with the dryness, but as a general rule drink twice as much as you would normally, alcohol is a killer, strong beers and altitude, a couple and you have had it. Had 4 in my local brew pub not long after moving over and fell over. And I like my pint.
LOL thats funny, I also arrived and drank 3 glasses of wine, couldnt stand up then threw up "YUK" and normally I can drink a few glasses of the ol wine!!
Do you get back to normal at some point??
I have been told by a few that Boulder is the place to be and not the Springs must pay Boulder a visit, can you reccomend any good bars or eating places?
Finding the Springs a bit dull, great for hiking and biking but thats about it.
How is it up north, a lot colder I hear and more snow, is that correct?
I am curious of different areas in Co as only renting for 6 months in the Springs so may find somewhere more suitable to lay my hat.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vikki66
LOL thats funny, I also arrived and drank 3 glasses of wine, couldnt stand up then threw up "YUK" and normally I can drink a few glasses of the ol wine!!
Do you get back to normal at some point??
I have been told by a few that Boulder is the place to be and not the Springs must pay Boulder a visit, can you reccomend any good bars or eating places?
Finding the Springs a bit dull, great for hiking and biking but thats about it.
How is it up north, a lot colder I hear and more snow, is that correct?
I am curious of different areas in Co as only renting for 6 months in the Springs so may find somewhere more suitable to lay my hat.
I have not, but then I also dring far less, well less regularly than I did in London. Poping out for a few beers at lunchtime is not understood, I always rehydrated after Squash with Greene King IPA, also not understood.

I am in Boulder County rather than Boulder itself, quite pricy, well to buy, rents from what I can gather are more reasonable. Supply and demand.

It all depends on what you want, Boulder is much easier I think to switch to than many places in the US I have been to.

No shortage of Bars/ Brew Pubs/ Restaurants, Walnut Street Brewery is a good one to start with, but may taste may not be the same as yours.

Pearl Street is the center, pedestrianised nice to walk up and down especially at this time of the year.

As far as I know there is no significant difference in the weather, not that much snow really. Just lots of sunshine, last weekend excepted. First significant rain I have noticed since last November.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Vikki66 has a spectacular aura aboutVikki66 has a spectacular aura aboutVikki66 has a spectacular aura about

I have not, but then I also dring far less, well less regularly than I did in London. Poping out for a few beers at lunchtime is not understood, I always rehydrated after Squash with Greene King IPA, also not understood.

I am in Boulder County rather than Boulder itself, quite pricy, well to buy, rents from what I can gather are more reasonable. Supply and demand.

It all depends on what you want, Boulder is much easier I think to switch to than many places in the US I have been to.

No shortage of Bars/ Brew Pubs/ Restaurants, Walnut Street Brewery is a good one to start with, but may taste may not be the same as yours.

Pearl Street is the center, pedestrianised nice to walk up and down especially at this time of the year.

As far as I know there is no significant difference in the weather, not that much snow really. Just lots of sunshine, last weekend excepted. First significant rain I have noticed since last November.
Think I will pay boulder a visit this weekend, sounds a bit more fun than the Springs, More liberal I guess!!
Thanx for da info on bars etc
What made ya come to the USA? Have ya been home sick at all
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Think I will pay boulder a visit this weekend, sounds a bit more fun than the Springs, More liberal I guess!!
Look out for Mork and Mindy .....
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:24 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Look out for Mork and Mindy .....
Nanoo, nanoo, shazbut.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 5:05 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Another tip for the Springs there's only really Yellow Cab for taxi's and if you ring the main number its pot luck I've waited well over two hours in the past for cabs. Tip the driver well and get their cell phone number then you can call them direct and you will get a cab in minutes.

Whatever you do don't drink and drive alot of people do it here but they red hot on it here and limit is low.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 5:06 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Lived in Colorado for 5 years, loved every minute of it - even though we did live in 5 Points ("Da Hood") in Denver. Not a bad area though, riskiest thing that ever happened to me was going into a barbers on Welton street and getting a haircut from a one-eyed geriatric

There's lots of stuff to do, Theatres, Museums, Art Galleries, decent sports teams (and the Denver Nuggets). Nice people, great places around to pop off for a weekend around (Estes Park is especially nice). Denver Metro has a really, really good transit system if you don't fancy driving everyday, I used to hop the lightrail and the buses many times to get to work.

I should have got my ****ing head examined when I suggested moving to Florida, but at the time, house prices were through the roof and the dot com bubble was bursting horribly

The only real downside about Denver/Colorado that I could point out, is the timezone. By the time I got home from work it was already 1am in the UK so no chance to call my folks for a chat. That's not really much of a problem though, there's always weekends
Old Jul 11th 2006, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

Followed the Missus back.

Not really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.