Reload this Page >

College fees

College fees

Old Jan 30th 2004, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

kevtam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default College fees

Hi all.

We are looking at moving to Florida under an E 2 visa.
I've been doing a bit of digging around to find out if my children would be eligible to pay Florida residents fees if they attended college in Florida.

Everything I have read up to yet seemed to imply that you had to pay the international student rate.
However, my wife e-mailed the University of Florida and got the following reply:

'Good morning. An E2 visa is an eligible visa for residency for tuition purposes. If your children are dependent upon you and you have legal Florida documents (driver's license, vehicle registration) dated at least twelve months prior to the date your children are applying for. You must also have 12 months physical presence in Florida, but this is covered if you have been here for four years. Thank you.
Sincerely,'

I understand this to mean that if my children attended college in Florida they would pay the state residents fee.

Anyone agree? (Or disagree)

Cheers

Kev
Old Jan 30th 2004, 10:27 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

If you have lived in Florida for the 12 moths prior to your children starting collage then you can be classed as an in state student.
Otherwise you have to pay out of state fees.
These are generaly about 5 times the instate rate.

I would guess that if you are just moving here then you will have to pay the out of state fees.

But anyway, who would want to go to the University of Florida? Ewww Gator people...

Go for Florida State !!!!! Go Noles !!!!!!

you can't guess that I work there can you?
Old Jan 31st 2004, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. Poor old USF- gets a bad rap. FSU is the better uni but its so flipping cold up there- New College, Sarasota is better still..and it's warmer.

Kev, that's good news . Years ago, non-resident aliens had to pay international fees/out of state fees- so if what she said is standard then its great for people on E2's. One thing you may want to check out- what happens when your kids turn 21 and come off your visa? Would they have to apply for the F1 student visa to stay legal? If so, they would then have to pay. international student fees.
A Bachelors Degree generally take 4 years here, but it is possible to do it in 3 by making use of the CLEP (get info on that).
Make full use of the international students advisors- they are a great help.

Last edited by Taffyles; Jan 31st 2004 at 5:14 am.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 2:00 pm
Franklin

Default Re: College fees

Originally posted by kevtam
Hi all.

I've been doing a bit of digging around to find out if my children would be eligible to pay Florida residents fees if they attended college in Florida.

Everything I have read up to yet seemed to imply that you had to pay the international student rate.
However, my wife e-mailed the University of Florida and got the following reply:

'Good morning. An E2 visa is an eligible visa for residency for tuition purposes. If your children are dependent upon you and you have legal Florida documents (driver's license, vehicle registration) dated at least twelve months prior to the date your children are applying for. You must also have 12 months physical presence in Florida, but this is covered if you have been here for four years. Thank you.
Sincerely,'

I understand this to mean that if my children attended college in Florida they would pay the state residents fee.

Cheers

Kev
Could your children go to UK universities and come home during breaks. Might work out much cheaper. Also a UK address for them might work in their favor if they decide to do a post-grad degree funded via a government backed agency. Often these funds are not available to Brits who have been living more than 3 years outside the UK. Maybe this kind of rule has been dropped. But I'm not sure.

Old Jan 31st 2004, 2:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: College fees

Originally posted by kevtam
Hi all.

Sincerely,'

Cheers

Kev
If your children will not be eligible for in-state tuition when they start at UF, you could ask whether they can apply for residence status after a year. At some schools, if you enter as out-of-state, you can't adjust your status while you are there, but many will allow you to "become" in state after you've been there a year.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

kevtam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies.

My eldest daughter is currently 13, so she would be Florida for approx 4 years prior to attending college. Hopefully this will make her eligible for Florida resident fees.

We did look into her returning to the UK to attend university, but you must reside in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of your course in order to qualify for standard costs.

Kev
Old Jan 30th 2005, 11:44 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: College fees

Do not worry: four years residency will be plenty to qualify you for in-state fees. My son started at the Univ. of CA after 2 years and was charged in-state fees.

One bummer is that a lot of scholarships are only open to 'citizens', including the National Merit Scholarship. To me the word "merit" suggests academic proficiency, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way... (NB: people who have applied for Permanent Residence qualify though...)

PS: just realized this question was originally asked in January 2004... - sorry. (I must be having a 'blond' day...)

Last edited by DonnaElvira; Jan 30th 2005 at 11:46 pm. Reason: Did not see the year...