British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   College advise (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/college-advise-732840/)

moving2nyc Sep 19th 2011 4:12 pm

Re: College advise

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 9629512)
If you live in New York proper (i.e. not New Jersey or Connecticut) then these are the rules to attend any of the SUNY campuses:

http://www.suny.edu/student/paying_residence.cfm

Note: A immigrant resident specifically states that you need a green card. However, there is another option if she has spent 2 years in a US school and graduates from a NY high school she can get resident status, regardless of green card or not.

Is her college list Harvard, Yale, Stanford, MIT, Princeton and the like? For these hyper-competitive, private schools, not only are you going to deal with the financial burden ($60k a year) but she's also late in the application game. Applying in Nov/Dec will put her at a disadvantage to kids who have applied and been offered early admissions, thus taking away a few of the very coveted places. She may actually consider a gap year to prepare for the applications to the hyper-competitive schools.

For many of the SUNY schools she may have a much easier time with the admissions, even starting in the Fall/Winter. It's just a matter of dotting the i's and crossing all the t's.

First step would be for her to visit her guidance counsellor who can give her some advice based on her academic scores as to what schools are "reaches, possibles, and safety schools" in the applications game. She'll also need to have a think about what it is she wants to do with her life, and whether there are certain schools that would be better suited than others for that career choice.

From the SUNY site:

Students claiming to be immigrants must present proof of their status by providing the campus with a valid Permanent Resident Card. Once a student's immigrant status has been verified, the student may then establish New York State residency by meeting the domicile criteria. See Proof of Domicile (above).

Non-immigrants are grouped in categories depending on the type of visa presented at the port of entry. Non-immigrants admitted to the United States in categories that prohibit them from establishing a United States residence are not eligible for resident tuition.

In general, the Federal Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act prohibits students who are unable to present valid documentation of their alien status from eligibility for the resident tuition rate.

Non-resident students, including undocumented students, who attend for at least two years and graduate from a New York high school may be eligible for resident tuition. See the campus Student Accounts Office (Bursar) for details and to apply for resident tuition.

Thank you very much, she has been in a NYC school for 2 years which looks like it will help her.

If we get a scholarship great, if not surely she will pay me back double once she lands a job. Isn't that what kids do nowadays :0)

ottotheboar Sep 19th 2011 5:24 pm

Your daughter's GPA right now is going to give you an idea of which colleges she should apply for even though she takes the SAT in November. If she learning issues in only some areas there are SAT prep courses which will help her when takes the SAT. As mentioned the school should have someone who will help with college selection and application. College scholarships do vary considerably

Michael Sep 19th 2011 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 9629512)
If you live in New York proper (i.e. not New Jersey or Connecticut) then these are the rules to attend any of the SUNY campuses:

http://www.suny.edu/student/paying_residence.cfm

Note: A immigrant resident specifically states that you need a green card. However, there is another option if she has spent 2 years in a US school and graduates from a NY high school she can get resident status, regardless of green card or not.

Is her college list Harvard, Yale, Stanford, MIT, Princeton and the like? For these hyper-competitive, private schools, not only are you going to deal with the financial burden ($60k a year) but she's also late in the application game. Applying in Nov/Dec will put her at a disadvantage to kids who have applied and been offered early admissions, thus taking away a few of the very coveted places. She may actually consider a gap year to prepare for the applications to the hyper-competitive schools.

For many of the SUNY schools she may have a much easier time with the admissions, even starting in the Fall/Winter. It's just a matter of dotting the i's and crossing all the t's.

First step would be for her to visit her guidance counsellor who can give her some advice based on her academic scores as to what schools are "reaches, possibles, and safety schools" in the applications game. She'll also need to have a think about what it is she wants to do with her life, and whether there are certain schools that would be better suited than others for that career choice.

From the SUNY site:

Students claiming to be immigrants must present proof of their status by providing the campus with a valid Permanent Resident Card. Once a student's immigrant status has been verified, the student may then establish New York State residency by meeting the domicile criteria. See Proof of Domicile (above).

Non-immigrants are grouped in categories depending on the type of visa presented at the port of entry. Non-immigrants admitted to the United States in categories that prohibit them from establishing a United States residence are not eligible for resident tuition.

In general, the Federal Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act prohibits students who are unable to present valid documentation of their alien status from eligibility for the resident tuition rate.

Non-resident students, including undocumented students, who attend for at least two years and graduate from a New York high school may be eligible for resident tuition. See the campus Student Accounts Office (Bursar) for details and to apply for resident tuition.

I didn't realize that New York had that law. I assumed it was the same as California where they can discriminate against illegal immigrants (California doesn't and not even Texas) for in state tuition but not against legal residents.

penguinsix Sep 19th 2011 5:57 pm

Nine states allow instate rates for illegals. As you can imagine it is controversial.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...-declines-case

(California and)...Eight other states have enacted similar provisions, offering illegal immigrants in those states the same in-state tuition discount offered to state residents. Those states are Illinois, Kansas, New Mexico, Nebraska, New York, Texas, Utah, and Washington. Oklahoma passed a similar law, but later repealed it.

Maryland is debating it this year.

Michael Sep 19th 2011 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 9630610)
Nine states allow instate rates for illegals. As you can imagine it is controversial.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...-declines-case

(California and)...Eight other states have enacted similar provisions, offering illegal immigrants in those states the same in-state tuition discount offered to state residents. Those states are Illinois, Kansas, New Mexico, Nebraska, New York, Texas, Utah, and Washington. Oklahoma passed a similar law, but later repealed it.

Maryland is debating it this year.

That is why I assumed that New York (a very liberal state) would not discriminate against people with legal status.

CTland Sep 19th 2011 8:04 pm

We found this site was a good starting point for college planning
http://www.collegeboard.com/parents/plan/
We also looked at several SUNY schools which we thought were great value-as an example SUNY Binghamton claimed it was the top ranked public school in the northeast!
For a newcomer it can be a mind boggling process
Good luck

moving2nyc Sep 20th 2011 1:32 am

Thank you everyone, this is certainly going to be a journey with a few bumps in the road. Has anyone used a consultant to help with this? Seems paying a few $'s to avoid making the wrong decision about an important subject might make sense?

penguinsix Sep 20th 2011 1:56 am

A consultant might give you some piece of mind but it isn't absolutely necessary. I think the first step (like this week) should be a meeting with the school's counsellors for an assessment of her options. They'll look at her grades, hear her interests, and give you an idea of what schools she should be aiming for.

If it comes back you are looking at Harvard and Princeton and the like, then a consultant to help prepare the application might be a bit overkill but as you haven't much experience with the US process probably helpful. If you are looking at more of the SUNY-level schools than the guidance counsellors can probably point her in the right direction.

moving2nyc Sep 20th 2011 2:01 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 9631288)
A consultant might give you some piece of mind but it isn't absolutely necessary. I think the first step (like this week) should be a meeting with the school's counsellors for an assessment of her options. They'll look at her grades, hear her interests, and give you an idea of what schools she should be aiming for.

If it comes back you are looking at Harvard and Princeton and the like, then a consultant to help prepare the application might be a bit overkill but as you haven't much experience with the US process probably helpful. If you are looking at more of the SUNY-level schools than the guidance counsellors can probably point her in the right direction.

Thanks, we've spoken to the guidance counsellor who has been great but still feel a bit overwhelmed by the whole process.
We are going to few college fairs too to have a chat with them all to see what that brings

moving2nyc Sep 20th 2011 2:03 am

BTW, we are NOT looking at Harvard :)

jemima55 Sep 22nd 2011 12:15 am

My experience is this- I have a son at university in Virginia, living with us. He has "International Student" status. Because he is an international student he couldnt get in-state rates. The fees for international students at the local Community College were actually the same as for university, despite us having lived here for four years. The decision seemed to hang on a clause about whether the student has a "future" in the US (we are here temporarily)so having a Green Card could work in your daughter`s favour.
We pay all our son`s fees and havent found any other help or concessions. He is lucky enough to be at a private Catholic university (We arent Catholics) where all students pay the same fees, regardless of being home or international students. (Not cheap, but not Harvard levels either). The only help I have come across is a commercial loan but you need to have a US citizen as a guarantor.
My son`s university is, by the way, well set up with regards to helping students with special needs.
So, thats my experience, some bits good, some not so. I`m sure he has gained greatly from being at uni here, though!
PM me if you have any questions!

BellaE Sep 23rd 2011 5:27 pm

Here are some other considerations.
First, as others have stated, the HS guidance counselor should be her first stop. However, as a parent of a child with learning disabilities, I found that the guidance counselor assumed my son wasn't "college material," and we had to push to ensure he got the same consideration as other students. Then we found the guidance counselor was not well-versed in dealing with students with learning disabilities.
Second, if she has an IEP, she may be eligible to have accommodations (e.g. extra time, etc) when she takes the SAT. If you go to the College Board website, you will find the process explained there. It is probably too late to start the request process now for the autumn test-dates, but the SAT can be sat again if she doesn't like her scores. Anyway, more and more schools are not looking at SATs, or are discounting their importance in evaluating a student's ability to succeed. That being said, many academic scholarships do use the SAT or ACT score as a criteria for selection. This meant our youngest son, with LD and a crummy SAT score did not get offered an academic scholarship, unlike his older brother who had worse grades but a higher SAT score.
Third, she will not be eligible for accommodations for her disability in college unless her disability is documented by an independent psychologist (the high school IEP will not work in college.) We paid about $1,000 for this assessment - I thought it was well-worth it, but you will have to decide depending on what she needs to be successful. College is harder than high school obviously.
Fourth, our local community college has an excellent program for LD students - our son decided not to go there in the end, but it was a great option for him to consider.
Fifth, there are colleges that specialize in LD students. These are mostly private and expensive though, and we found all the "normal" schools we looked at had good to excellent academic support for all students with additional services from the Office of Disabilities on top of that.
Finally, check out this link http://www.oacac.com/docs/IntlFinAid.xls for a docuemtn listing schools that provide financial aid to international students. And feel free to PM me if you would like to chat about college for kids with learning disabilities.:)