Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Collecting UK pension in USA and disability benefits

Wikiposts

Collecting UK pension in USA and disability benefits

Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:24 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Collecting UK pension in USA and disability benefits

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Or you can just tell the UK gov that you live in the US and want your pension paid directly into your US account and it will show up at whatever interval you request it, in dollars, with no fees on either end, no time wasted messing around. In addition, I'm long gone so don't have UK bank accounts -- don't know if the OP has retained a UK bank account. As mikelincs says, you'd have to start analysing each deposit to figure out rates, but there has never been anything seemingly untoward to make me want to spend time on doing that or work out some convoluted route to get my money at some fractionally improved rate.
As I said in post #7
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:51 pm
Vendor

Joe_Lowry7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Or you can just tell the UK gov that you live in the US and want your pension paid directly into your US account and it will show up at whatever interval you request it, in dollars, with no fees on either end, no time wasted messing around. In addition, I'm long gone so don't have UK bank accounts -- don't know if the OP has retained a UK bank account. As mikelincs says, you'd have to start analysing each deposit to figure out rates, but there has never been anything seemingly untoward to make me want to spend time on doing that or work out some convoluted route to get my money at some fractionally improved rate.
You are aware that if you receive funds directly from another country, in your case UK to US, the receiving bank will automatically exchange the currency from GBP to USD. Therefore changing it at there rate of exchange, which as most know will be quite a wide margin ..... I'm not suggesting change what your doing, its just food for thought.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 9:43 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe_Lowry7
You are aware that if you receive funds directly from another country, in your case UK to US, the receiving bank will automatically exchange the currency from GBP to USD. Therefore changing it at there rate of exchange, which as most know will be quite a wide margin ..... I'm not suggesting change what your doing, its just food for thought.
Not sure what might happen in USA, but transfers to Spain direct had no charges at receiving bank, but that might just be EU law.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe_Lowry7
Once again you demonstrate that you do not know how the system works. In the payment of pensions by the UK government the conversion is not done by the receiving bank.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 2:00 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
As I said in post #7
And I had done in post # 2!
Old Oct 14th 2013, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

BeerandChips is an unknown quantity at this point

Other members here are mistaken, you can still get your UK disability payments paid even if you reside in the US as long as you were getting them before you moved and you continue to meet the requirements of the DWP.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 9:08 am
Corrie Fan

hutchiebug is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello - just wondered if your UK pension arrives tax-free. I'm getting ready to apply for mine. I've lived in US for 30 years.

Thank you!
Old Nov 16th 2013, 9:15 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchiebug
Hello - just wondered if your UK pension arrives tax-free. I'm getting ready to apply for mine. I've lived in US for 30 years.

Thank you!
Mine is paid without UK income tax being deducted.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!
I still pay income tax in the UK, but it is possible to elect to have your pension paid directly into a US account and pay tax here.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 1:38 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeerandChips
I still pay income tax in the UK, but it is possible to elect to have your pension paid directly into a US account and pay tax here.
Where is your current tax residence?
Old Nov 16th 2013, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nun
Where is your current tax residence?
I pay tax in the UK where my income is and submit a return in the IRS for no income under the rule of no double taxation. Although it would probably be better to have all income transferred directly into US accounts and pay tax here where the rate is lower. As usual things are complicated and working out the best method is complex.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 3:19 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I pay tax in the UK where my income is and submit a return in the IRS for no income under the rule of no double taxation. Although it would probably be better to have all income transferred directly into US accounts and pay tax here where the rate is lower. As usual things are complicated and working out the best method is complex.
Are you a US tax resident or US citizen? Are you a UK tax resident?

The only way to sensibly answer your initial question is to know your citizenship and residency.

Last edited by nun; Nov 16th 2013 at 3:23 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 2:12 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!
It does. As described in the post you referenced, it is so simple to sign up to have your pension deposited directly into your US bank account. Mine is very small, so I elected to receive it quarterly, and it shows up regular as clockwork.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 3:19 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Your statement raises more questions than in answers. You make some statements that are confused and I would suggest that you look at how you are paying taxes to make sure you are doing it correctly.

Last edited by nun; Nov 17th 2013 at 3:46 am.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 3:22 am
Corrie Fan

hutchiebug is an unknown quantity at this point

It does. As described in the post you referenced, it is so simple to sign up to have your pension deposited directly into your US bank account. Mine is very small, so I elected to receive it quarterly, and it shows up regular as clockwork.
Wow! Thanks everybody! I was wondering about this as I had a small UK teacher's pension begin a few years back and UK tax was taken out, but it was corrected shortly after.

Must say this site is really valuable for me because I don't know anyone in my particular boat, dealing with international taxation issues.

Many thanks to you all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.