Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Collecting UK Pension in the U.S.?

Collecting UK Pension in the U.S.?

Old Nov 15th 2023, 1:44 am
Just Joined

yvans2105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Collecting UK Pension in the U.S.?

Hi all. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? My wife is a U.K. passport holder and U.S. Permanent Resident (Green Card). We are both retired now and have a question about if 1) she has a U.K. Pension, and 2) how she can collect it if she does? She lived and worked in the U.K. for probably two thirds of her life. And 3) if she becomes a U.S. citizen can she still collect on her U.K. Pension (assuming she has one)?

I'm really lost on this. I don't know how the U.K. Pension system works and how to find out what she is eligible for. Is it like U.S. Social Security?

Thanks everyone.
Yvans2105
Old Nov 15th 2023, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Collecting UK Pension in the U.S.?

Originally Posted by yvans2105
Hi all. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? My wife is a U.K. passport holder and U.S. Permanent Resident (Green Card). We are both retired now and have a question about if 1) she has a U.K. Pension, and 2) how she can collect it if she does? She lived and worked in the U.K. for probably two thirds of her life. And 3) if she becomes a U.S. citizen can she still collect on her U.K. Pension (assuming she has one)?

I'm really lost on this. I don't know how the U.K. Pension system works and how to find out what she is eligible for. Is it like U.S. Social Security?

Thanks everyone.
Yvans2105
If she worked in the UK for several years then she will have a UK pension entitlement. Yes, it is like US Social Security. Becoming a US citizen will not affect it at all. However her US Social Security (if she has any) will be affected by what is referred to as WEP.

Here is the starting point: https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre She should contact them to ascertain her entitlement.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 1:08 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, she should qualify for a UK state pension. She can check how much that will be online here https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension. It will not be affected by her becoming a US citizen and they will pay it into a bank account of your choice which can be in the country of residence and in the local currency. So you can have it paid to a US bank account in dollars.

If she does not get the maximum pension then she may have the opportunity to increase it by making voluntary contributions to increase it, plenty of information in the (very long) thread here.Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?. Lots of information about WEP in that thread as well as a few others (search for WEP in the search box on this forum). I wouldn’t start from the beginning of the linked thread though, too much old out of date information, but perhaps read the most recent 10 pages and if that is useful keep going back 10 pages at a time until it no longer becomes useful to do so.

Last edited by Glasgow Girl; Nov 15th 2023 at 1:24 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2023, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, MidAtlantic! She's worked in U.K. about 20 years and an equal amount in the U.S.. Interesting to learn about WEP. I looked it up at SSA.GOV and found that they have a WEP Screening Tool to find out. I'll update.
Old Nov 18th 2023, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, Glasgow Girl! Your right. The references thread is very long and I'm sure I will learn a lot of information from it. Thank you so much! By the way, my wife has fond memories of Glasgow.