British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Coffee, anyone? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/coffee-anyone-195812/)

ScarlettHill Dec 9th 2003 3:52 am

Coffee, anyone?

Wahaay! Got the job at Starbucks. Enough hours for the med benefits etc to kick in. And it's just across the road from the college where I tutor part-time, so I can keep my hand in at that.

Been finding the going pretty tough lately - just the continual hunt for enough work etc... but things are finally looking up. Our first anniversary in a couple of weeks, and my mum's flying in on Saturday for Christmas.

All this and caramel machiatta too!! What more could a girl want?

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Pimpbot Dec 9th 2003 4:42 am

Grande Mocha with whipped cream please Scarlet. :D Congrats on the new job.

jcapulet Dec 9th 2003 2:01 pm

Re: Coffee, anyone?

Congrats Scarlett :D I love walking in to a Starbucks, the smell of the coffee is just wonderful. My fave is a raspberry mocha...slurp! :D:D

Juliet

meauxna Dec 9th 2003 9:43 pm

Re: Coffee, anyone?

Originally posted by ScarlettHill
Wahaay! Got the job at Starbucks. __________________________________
Have I really been here a year???
OMG, Scarlett! You've gone over to the Dark Side!

Seriously, congrats on the new gig and even I can't believe you've been here a year...how long does that make for me -n- mine?!?

dimpledot Dec 10th 2003 2:59 am

starbucks

I too have just started working at Starbucks. I keep thinking I'd be better off in a tea room though. I really enjoy it but there is a lot more to coffee than I realized.
My favourite is the Mocha Frapp. Mmmm yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's getting a bit cold for that though. Better go for the Cafe Mocha.
Are you in a Starbucks by itself or in one in a store?

ScarlettHill Dec 10th 2003 12:55 pm

Thanks, guys!

:D :D

Meauxna - Wahaaay, the daaaark side!! That's my hubby - he's an extra shots man - eeargh! My kids sound like mini Buffys with a Texas twist after a year over here. I ain't got no drawl yet though - how 'bout you?

Dimples - It's in the underground shopping center beneath the huge Bank of America building downtown. Because it's in a bank it doesn't open weekends, which suits me great. Also it's spitting distance from El Centro college so I get to continue the tutoring thing, which I enjoy. They've agreed to work around my Starbucks schedule.

How d'ya like that training schedule? 37 years old, ex-journo and a part-time job teaching 'proper English', but I'm not quite qualified to make a hot drink yet. Maybe today..... sigh! Actually, I love it. Friendly and fun and a nice change. On top of that, the promise of money and benefits down the line. After a year, I'm damn grateful.

Mind you, I ground so much coffee yesterday I felt queasy when hubby started the pot this morning - think I'll stick to tea this morning!!

(By the way, teaching the Americans proper English means all my students are known for using the following phrases:
Ta ra, me duck.
I need the loo!
and
Pass that rubber!)

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

scotch03 Dec 11th 2003 1:32 am

Make mine a Soya Latte please - well done. All the branches near me only seem to emplo hot chicks so I guess you must be also,

Congrats

ScarlettHill Dec 11th 2003 12:21 pm

Originally posted by scotch03
Make mine a Soya Latte please - well done. All the branches near me only seem to emplo hot chicks so I guess you must be also,

Congrats
Well, we don't employ anything with a tail at Bank of America Plaza!

I just read this out to my othr half. He agrees with you so I shall swat you both for being sexist (while being secretly pleased).

:p

steaming
-=-
ner!

meauxna Dec 11th 2003 9:37 pm

Originally posted by ScarlettHill
steaming
-=-
ner!

well, duh. Isn't that what your new job is all about? ;) (coffee joke, all. think about it)

Just remember, should I ever pass your way... double tall non-fat latte. And one of those gingerbread biscotti while we're at it. :)

Rockgurl Dec 11th 2003 10:59 pm

Congratulations, Scarlett! You must be so relieved...just before Christmas too. Make mine an Eggnog Latte! Do they do those in America, coz I've only ever had them in London, and they didn't do them in Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport much to my disappointment.

ScarlettHill Dec 12th 2003 1:04 pm

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Congratulations, Scarlett! You must be so relieved...just before Christmas too. Make mine an Eggnog Latte! Do they do those in America, coz I've only ever had them in London, and they didn't do them in Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport much to my disappointment.
Yay, we do the eggnogg. If you're ever down this way you can have one on me. It's best, IMO, with heaps of whipp cream and pink sprinkles.

So is your wife coming down to Arizona for Chrissie or do you get to go up her way? Least you're in the same country now - course you wouldn't know it with the internal flight security. My mumsie arrives tomorrow - wahaaaaay!!!! Keep telling her she mustn't laugh and pat the security guy on the head pityingly when he tells her to take her shoes off at Washington. Also warned her no naughty food. But she's at that stage in her life when she doesn't take regulations too seriously. I won't feel safe till we've scooped her up at DFW with nothing more alarming in her cases than a big bottle of Chanel 5 for yours truly.

ta ra, me ducks!
-=-
Scarlett

dimpledot Dec 13th 2003 3:54 am

No hot chick here

Just saw about the hot chicks usually being employed at Starbucks. Well I am no hot chick. More an old hen!!. I must admit I was surprised that they employed me because of my age. I agree most seem to be young.

After not working for 24 years I was amazed anyone would employ me. But it is great being back at work even if only for 16 hours a week

I like working there, the time goes very quick, because we are very busy most of the time, and all that I work with are great.

I cannot believe how much people will spend on a cup of coffee, not just once a week as a treat but every day.

Jan Alaska Dec 19th 2003 2:58 pm

Congrats Scarlett !!!
So relieved you havent got caught in the Texas flu epidemic (fingers crossed when i said that)

Hope you, Grant, the girls and your mum have a great Christmas!

*huggs* Jan :)

ohhh ps .. sorry bout digging all these week old posts up but I didnt get to a pooter while I was back in blighty.

waxwabbit Dec 19th 2003 11:31 pm

Re: No hot chick here

Try buying em in London where for me and my pauper wife its £5.50 a go!

Whilst we were in London for 3 nights we must have spent £40 on bloody coffee!!!!!!!!

eeeeeeek

Originally posted by dimpledot
Just saw about the hot chicks usually being employed at Starbucks. Well I am no hot chick. More an old hen!!. I must admit I was surprised that they employed me because of my age. I agree most seem to be young.

After not working for 24 years I was amazed anyone would employ me. But it is great being back at work even if only for 16 hours a week

I like working there, the time goes very quick, because we are very busy most of the time, and all that I work with are great.

I cannot believe how much people will spend on a cup of coffee, not just once a week as a treat but every day.

snorkmaiden Dec 19th 2003 11:57 pm

Congrats Scarlett,

I'm not a coffee drinker really and I have no idea what all the names on the menu are. When you get a chance, right a review of all the different ones available and what they have in them for the coffee novice here :D