Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Coast to Coast - what route?

Coast to Coast - what route?

Old Aug 1st 2009, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coast to Coast - what route?

Ok so just wondering if anyone has done this and if so what route is easy to drive, scenic etc.

We have to go from east (Hampton Roads) to west (Pasadena) and obviously want to make it a pleasant trip too. We don't necessarily have to go in a straight line, but as Michaels employer will be paying mileage and overnights, we can't deviate too far off or add too many extra miles over and above what is necessary.

Any suggestions? Thanks in anticipa ...............................tion!

Mandy
Old Aug 1st 2009, 12:46 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Coast to Coast - what route?

On a side note, can you download scenic routes for sat navs?
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that there is a Northern route and a Southern route. What time of the year will you be doing the journey?
Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be last week of Sept and 1st of October.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Stuff the sat navs etc

I have driven across the country quite a few times. Try I-20 for the best southern route down into Texas, then join I-10 across to California for a mixture of climates and scenery. You could use I-40 across for a slightly more norther route that will eventually take you very high up near Flagstaff AZ and you could do a small diversion to take you up to the Hover dam, then back down to laughlin far better than Las Vegas. You could head up and join I-80 across the mid west which with eventually have you dropping down into Salt Lake City, from there I-15 down to Vegas and make what ever route you want from there.
If you really have no limit to route .... head north to I-80 and join I-90 across the north of the country to Seatle then down I-5 along the Pacific coast through Portland........ This is the most spectacular drive I ever saw.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 5:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Stuff the sat navs etc

I have driven across the country quite a few times. Try I-20 for the best southern route down into Texas, then join I-10 across to California for a mixture of climates and scenery. You could use I-40 across for a slightly more norther route that will eventually take you very high up near Flagstaff AZ and you could do a small diversion to take you up to the Hover dam, then back down to laughlin far better than Las Vegas. You could head up and join I-80 across the mid west which with eventually have you dropping down into Salt Lake City, from there I-15 down to Vegas and make what ever route you want from there.
If you really have no limit to route .... head north to I-80 and join I-90 across the north of the country to Seatle then down I-5 along the Pacific coast through Portland........ This is the most spectacular drive I ever saw.
I-40 is highly recommended to get up to the Grand Canyon in AZ, too!!

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:36 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think we had a thread on this a few months ago. Keyword was roadtrip

Route 66, from Chicago to Santa Monica, was the traditional 'roadtrip' route across the US, but it's now more of a 'slow trip' across the country and there are times when you really want to be driving about 70+ just to get from point a to b.

I'd probably look at a Southern route, hitting some of the Southern spots (like New Orleans), across Texas and then maybe up into the mountains of Colorado and through Vegas on my way to the West Coast.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=roadtrip
Old Aug 1st 2009, 8:19 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Stuff the sat navs etc
Stuff them with what? paxo?

I'm asking a question it will be use full for me and maybe OP.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

emartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of light

I went from CA to NY with this tour company years ago: http://www.greentortoise.com/budget....l#crosscountry. We did the southern route and it covered lots of fabulous sights. Their trips might give you some ideas.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 2:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go the southern route, nicer and more to do/see but only my opinion, others may preger more nothern routes.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 2:15 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be paying attention to the weather and remembering that in the mountains you could run into snow............
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good point Cindy, I was thinking go south with the weather. I'll take a look at some of those links too.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far folks.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

(EDIT: just noticed that you are mentioning snow so I presume it is not a summer trip - this route is not recommended then!)

I've done Indiana to Colorado a couple of times.

You could do similar. Get to Indianapolis and then just stay on the I70 all the way to Utah.

You'll go thru St Louis (go up to the top of the Arch if you haven't done so before) and then you'll drive through the roving hills and greenery of Missouri until you hit Kansas.

Then a complete change of scenery. You have miles and miles and miles of flat corn fields to look at as you go across Kansas. Some people will scream 'don't do that' but I actually really enjoy it. It's just so different from any drive you'll get back in the UK.

You then hit the Rocky Mountains of Colorado for another complete change.

Through Utah and then down to Vegas on the I15. Carry on along the I15 to Los Angeles...

It's not a classic way of doing the East-to-West trip but an enjoyable one none-the-less.

Which ever way you go - enjoy!

Last edited by TimberHut; Aug 3rd 2009 at 1:47 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
On a side note, can you download scenic routes for sat navs?
My SatNaff (TomTom) apparently allows you to program a route using Google Maps and then download it to the device. Sounds like a nice feature to me (yet to use it of course).
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

brueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud ofbrueyh1976 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Coast to Coast - what route?

I'm going to have to confess and say that reading MandyNi's questions about which route to take when going coast to coast is making me sooo jealous because that is my dream road trip. Sadly I'm not in a position to be able to advise MandyNi as to which route to take. All I can say is enjoy the trip and yes I am very jealous

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.