Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Coast-to-coast train journey

Coast-to-coast train journey

Old Jul 7th 2012, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coast-to-coast train journey

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18748717

Is there any realistic chance of this getting built?
Considering the hundreds of millions already spent on the project, I would hope so! Even existing railroads don't want the high speed line: in one case specifically requesting a 150ft gap between their tracks and the high speed line "in case the high speed trains crash".

The other high speed line is from Los Angeles to Las Vegas - except it would start in Victorville (seems LA is too difficult to get to). So people near downtown LA would drive 1.5 hours to get to Victorville and then take the train for what is a 2.5 hour drive for the rest of the way? I don't think so! Nevertheless the subsequent plan is to join Victorville to the LA-SF high speed line, thus joining LA to LV with just a 100 mile detour.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Tonrob's train now estimated 1h49 late (hmm, I think that means it's either arrived and the status hasn't updated, or it's sitting alongside one of the many freight yards and junctions approaching Chicago). Only a couple of hours to connect to the Empire Builder. Good luck! At least there's a half decent food court inside the station, plus the Metropolitan Lounge to chill out in.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Considering the hundreds of millions already spent on the project, I would hope so! Even existing railroads don't want the high speed line: in one case specifically requesting a 150ft gap between their tracks and the high speed line "in case the high speed trains crash".

The other high speed line is from Los Angeles to Las Vegas - except it would start in Victorville (seems LA is too difficult to get to). So people near downtown LA would drive 1.5 hours to get to Victorville and then take the train for what is a 2.5 hour drive for the rest of the way? I don't think so! Nevertheless the subsequent plan is to join Victorville to the LA-SF high speed line, thus joining LA to LV with just a 100 mile detour.
I hope I'm wrong, the I'm very sceptical that these lines will get built. Public support in CA for them is waning, and the difficulty of building these lines into the major cities (LA, SF etc) is daunting in the face of all the nimbys. Put it like this: with the current political climate I doubt that the interstate highway system would have got funded and built. In the mean time, the infrastructure of the country continues to deteriorate and get left behind by other parts of the world.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I hope I'm wrong, the I'm very sceptical that these lines will get built. Public support in CA for them is waning, and the difficulty of building these lines into the major cities (LA, SF etc) is daunting in the face of all the nimbys. Put it like this: with the current political climate I doubt that the interstate highway system would have got funded and built. In the mean time, the infrastructure of the country continues to deteriorate and get left behind by other parts of the world.
Some desert tortoise or something has cost the LV project millions. Considering the relatively easy terrain of Victorville to LV, and a bloody animal has held things up thus far, I will be pleasantly surprised if this gets finished. Somebody said groundbreaking preparations had already been made in Victorville but I don't know if that's true.

I think the LA-SF link is less likely. Unlike the LV link which has to be finished to get any reward, the LA-SF can be built in stages and opened incrementally - which also means it can be cancelled at any stage for any political reason.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

years back there was a proposal for high speed rail linking 3 major cities in Texas, and I heard the airlines killed it... knew it would be too popular and price competitive!

short haul flights (less than 400 miles) are ideal for high speed rail, and are around of 25% of US flights - that's down from over 1/3 15 years ago, as airline travel gets to be more of a hassle, more delays, and more expensive. So the market is there and waiting.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 8:59 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Tonrob's train now estimated 1h49 late (hmm, I think that means it's either arrived and the status hasn't updated, or it's sitting alongside one of the many freight yards and junctions approaching Chicago). Only a couple of hours to connect to the Empire Builder. Good luck! At least there's a half decent food court inside the station, plus the Metropolitan Lounge to chill out in.
Don't worry, the Empire Builder is 2+ hours late too - although this did play havoc with my pub interlude.

BTW - The Metropolitan Lounge is shit.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 12:22 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Can't argue with that. However it is more than the nimbys stopping everything in its track. It is the groups who don't want anything in anyones yard.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Thanks for the recommendation

Jim.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 12:49 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Left Chicago 4 hours late due to a buggered dining car. Now, the next morning, we're 4.5 hours late entering North Dakota.

Food quite good (considering we're on a train) and all quite relaxing and fun so far.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Left Chicago 4 hours late due to a buggered dining car. Now, the next morning, we're 4.5 hours late entering North Dakota.

Food quite good (considering we're on a train) and all quite relaxing and fun so far.
So, your friend's air connection is already at serious risk of not happening, then?

I hope you are taking photos for the benefit of your co-horts on here

Jim.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
So, your friend's air connection is already at serious risk of not happening, then?
Still a good chance of catching up a couple of hours. However, they're out of the 2 hour slot allocated to Amtrak so it could go either way.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 1:43 am
Septic Sprout

5.5 hours down the toilet now...
Old Jul 9th 2012, 3:22 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

So, last night's salmon aside, have you worked out what the Amtrak equivalent of a British Rail Pork Pie is?
Old Jul 9th 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

TR is probably stuck in another siding by now, but hope you enjoy the rest of your journey.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by joto
TR is probably stuck in another siding by now, but hope you enjoy the rest of your journey.
Still 5 hours late but with the 45 minute padding into Seattle, he might be there by 3pm!

Compared to the public waiting area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.