Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Coast-to-coast train journey

Coast-to-coast train journey

Old Jul 6th 2012, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coast-to-coast train journey

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Interesting info, but I'm not seeing any absolute numbers for delays on Amtrak's website.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1237608335166

Click on the route and it will give you the most recent month they have stats for and the 12 month average.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1237608335166

Click on the route and it will give you the most recent month they have stats for and the 12 month average.
It doesn't give any information as to what the absolute time of delays were, only the percentage on time, and a breakdown (percentage-wise) of what caused delays. Given that they display these percentages for causes, they must have the absolute number of minutes of delays, but choose not to show them. Perhaps they're not required to by law; airlines also don't seem to share this info. Nor, as I mentioned before, does it define "delay".

Edit: I do now see a definition of delay:

A train is considered "on-time" if it arrives at the final destination, or end-point, within an allowed number of minutes, or tolerance, of its scheduled arrival time. Trains are allowed a certain tolerance at the end-point based on the number of miles traveled. For example, trains traveling 250 miles or less are allowed a 10 minute tolerance while trains traveling over 550 miles are allowed a 30 minute tolerance, which is the maximum allowed.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 6th 2012 at 9:47 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:55 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

30 Minutes!!!!

That would have been reasonable for my last commuter train out of London......but there'd be some Japanese Bullet Train operators falling on their swords for that sort of delay - 30 seconds more like.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, 30 minutes for long haul. That's pretty tight. On a single track freight line, with a freight wrongly being given priority over Amtrak, that could easily cost most of that allowance with just a single occurrence.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
45 minutes late so far...
Apparently arrived Albany 20 late and expected to depart on time (long layover while waiting for the New York portion to join, which arrived 28 late).
Old Jul 7th 2012, 12:13 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
30 Minutes!!!!
They cancelled trains that were 30 minutes late in the UK.
Half way through the ride home from Manchester I would often be booted off the train at Wigan and had to wait for the next one to continue with double the numbers.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Half way through the ride home from Manchester I would often be booted off the train at Wigan and had to wait for the next one to continue with double the numbers.
They do that with streetcars here in SF as well and then exclude those journeys from their on time stats. Truly pathetic.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 12:59 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Very civilized, this. Nice spot of salmon in the dining car, now back in my cozy little room watching the sunset with a glass of red, bed already made up above me ready for when I feel like zzzzzzs. This is all quite relaxing!
Old Jul 7th 2012, 1:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It doesn't give any information as to what the absolute time of delays were, only the percentage on time, and a breakdown (percentage-wise) of what caused delays. Given that they display these percentages for causes, they must have the absolute number of minutes of delays, but choose not to show them. Perhaps they're not required to by law; airlines also don't seem to share this info. Nor, as I mentioned before, does it define "delay".

Edit: I do now see a definition of delay:

Just for the record, for airlines a flight is deemed late if it arrives 15 minutes or more behind schedule.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 2:07 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The last commuting I did was in the early 90's and it wasn't bad actually - the express line Colchester into Liverpool St. Prior to that I was on Harrow & Wealdstone - Euston(?) and they just seemed to make it up as they went along "oh, did we say this was the 7.22? Sorry folks, its actually the 8.02....."
Old Jul 7th 2012, 2:07 am

Very civilized, this. Nice spot of salmon in the dining car, now back in my cozy little room watching the sunset with a glass of red, bed already made up above me ready for when I feel like zzzzzzs. This is all quite relaxing!
Sound good....getting jealous now! Doesn't really matter if you're 10 minutes early or 2 hours late, does it?

Enjoy!!
Old Jul 7th 2012, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

One good thing about the Viewliners is that top bunk with its own window.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 2:49 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
One good thing about the Viewliners is that top bunk with its own window.
Yes - I wouldn't be venturing up there otherwise. Only this particular top bunk seems to feature a defective window - it only displays a static image of a freight yard just outside Syracuse, and it's been this way for quite some time.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 11:08 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18748717

Is there any realistic chance of this getting built?
Old Jul 7th 2012, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

davidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to alldavidtheprof is a name known to all

it's been talked about for ages, but seems unlikely in the new austerity age, with the US on brink of double dip recession. At least the line would be entirely within California, making it a bit easier politically.

Upgrading the Acela East coast line involves negotiations among 5 states and lots of new rights of way to straighten the track. Took it to NYC once from Boston, and was nearly having a fit as the train crawled around tight curves near the coast of CT at 30 mph. It averages around 55 mph, nearly 4 hours for the 200 miles to NYC. That's when it isn't cancelled or major delays. British trains are amazing in comparison.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.