Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Closing costs to sell a US house?

Wikiposts

Closing costs to sell a US house?

Old Nov 21st 2006, 12:47 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Closing costs to sell a US house?

The moral of the story is that EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE!

When I bought my house I negotiated the sales price down by paying more in closing costs (I made out in the long run)

It just has to be written into the sales contract (or counter offer)
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:45 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
The moral of the story is that EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE!

yup, and the crapper the market, the more leverage you have (obviously)
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 6:31 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

My advice:

If you're selling, take a 3% + 1% deal = 4%. Here, the buyer's agent will get the "standard" 3% but your seller's agent will only take 1%. At this price you expect your property to be listed in the MLS, a sign outside, and your agent to negotiate on your behalf with the offers -- nothing more.

If you're buying, look to take a suitable proportion of that 3% for your own pocket. It ain't sacrosanct and there are plenty of realtors who will give you a cut in either cash at closing or gas cards. Aim for 0.25% to 0.75% of it.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 6:41 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
My advice:

If you're selling, take a 3% + 1% deal = 4%. Here, the buyer's agent will get the "standard" 3% but your seller's agent will only take 1%. At this price you expect your property to be listed in the MLS, a sign outside, and your agent to negotiate on your behalf with the offers -- nothing more.
A few places here will do the MLS listing for about $500.

Although to be fair I would not trust someone who was being paid that little to negiotiate on my behalf...

Personally I reckon that most of the time the listing realtor is willing to let the house go for as little as can make the deal happen quickly and its the buyers agent who is the one who makes the price increase if they are with a buyer who has fallen in love with the house.... I know its arse about tits but its often the way it happens....
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 6:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
What about the IRS witholding tax..........

Indeed...
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 7:04 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Indeed...
Nobody seems to want to mention that
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:03 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
What is it? or should I say how much is it?
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:08 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
What is it? or should I say how much is it?
We can leave that to the experts surely ...........
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:32 am
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

For Sale By Owner.

And as for getting more house for your money in the US....bollox. You may get more space for your money (and even that is doubtful now in most popular areas) but you just get a pile of very expensive 3rd rate wooden beams, breeze blocks and chip board covered in crap rendering to put on it.

Just up the road from us are some brand spanking new brick built goodsized 5 bedroom David Wilson houses, fully specced with Moeben kitchens etc for £260ish k like this:

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 6:52 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
Loads of info on the forums about buying but can anyone help me get an idea of what costs I'm going to be looking at to sell my US house?

Any input (apart from don't do it ) appreciated!
Rule of thumb........add 1% of the value of the house you are selling to the percentage commission your agent is charging for the fee of the sale. So if the agent is charging 5% your closing costs will be close to 6%.

Last edited by Rodney you plonker; Nov 23rd 2006 at 6:56 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 6:59 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
we've just sold a house and handed over a rather handsome 6% to the Realtors at closing

i think i'm right in saying the 6% is distributed evenly to your Realtor with the remaining 3% to your buyers Realtor.
That is correct, its a 50/50 split between the company who provides the listing and the company who makes the sale. Unless it is specifically negotiated otherwise.

Last edited by Rodney you plonker; Nov 23rd 2006 at 8:57 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 7:04 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

Originally Posted by Hayley
I am using the Realtor that I bought my house with- I know she'll be after top dollar. Don't have the energy for a FSBO. My Realtor is a bitch but she'll be my bitch and I trust her to fight tooth and nail for a good price.
She lives for the job for sure but I work in banking and know from her accounts that she's not hurting in any way. dropping 10 grand a month at nordstrom is a regular thing for her, :scared: perhaps there's just not a lot of Realtor competition where I am?.
Dont be afraid to negotiate the rate with your realtor. The going rate in my area is between 5% and 7%. I usually get 4% on an investment property. Simply because the selling agent doesn't do anything other than list it, and I have no problem in letting him know that I am aware of that.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 7:30 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

What happens to the IRS withholding tax if an expat, say, sold his mansion and downsized to a condo, and THEN sold and left?

DAK?
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

What happens to the IRS withholding tax if an expat, say, sold his mansion and downsized to a condo, and THEN sold and left?

DAK?
Are you referring to capital gains tax? Rules have been altered there but consult a CPA for advice on this.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 8:52 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

DAK?
If you mean the capital gain, it is taken out of your profits at closing and paid straight to the IRS by the title company. It is not that it is given to you and then you are expected to be honest when filing your tax return. It is paid up front right there and then, what you walk away from the table with is all yours.

Even when you downsized, the playing field would be levelled by the title company.

Last edited by Rodney you plonker; Nov 23rd 2006 at 8:54 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.