Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Closing costs to sell a US house?

Wikiposts

Closing costs to sell a US house?

Old Nov 21st 2006, 6:44 am
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Closing costs to sell a US house?

Loads of info on the forums about buying but can anyone help me get an idea of what costs I'm going to be looking at to sell my US house?

Any input (apart from don't do it ) appreciated!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 6:54 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Closing costs to sell a US house?

Originally Posted by Hayley
Loads of info on the forums about buying but can anyone help me get an idea of what costs I'm going to be looking at to sell my US house?

Don't know about legal costs but the estate agents usually charge a whopping 6% compared to 11/2% to 2% in the UK. :scared: I read in the UK's 'Sunday Times' property section last week that even in the UK many people are unhappy with having to pay thousands of pounds to the estate agents that they're (successfully) marketing and selling their homes through the internet.

Sadly I don't think it is a viable option over here to try and sell a house online due to those Multiple Listing Services which all the realtors like to use (so they get their 3% commission each).
Old Nov 21st 2006, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Closing costs to sell a US house?

Allow 6% - 7% of sales price for commission.You might be asked for allowances by buyer to fix any problems ( cracks in driveway, painting touchups etc) and a share of closing costs ( optional but insist on a max $ amount or % amount if they ask). Best to take care of the obvious things before you list - cosmetics, yard clean up , holes in screens and fences etc.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:00 am

Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Don't know about legal costs but the estate agents usually charge a whopping 6% compared to 11/2% to 2% in the UK. :scared: I read in the UK's 'Sunday Times' property section last week that even in the UK many people are unhappy with having to pay thousands of pounds to the estate agents that they're (successfully) marketing and selling their homes through the internet.

Sadly I don't think it is a viable option over here to try and sell a house online due to those Multiple Listing Services which all the realtors like to use (so they get their 3% commission each).
Yes, I have concerns already about the Realtor sharks circling. Kind of why I was worried about the other costs. It seemed to cost way more to buy here than the UK too- from what I've heard from my english friends.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Not much on the legal side in expenses as that is mostly met by the lender and passed on at closing to the buyer.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by David Richardson
Allow 6% - 7% of sales price for commission.You might be asked for allowances by buyer to fix any problems ( cracks in driveway, painting touchups etc) and a share of closing costs ( optional but insist on a max $ amount or % amount if they ask). Best to take care of the obvious things before you list - cosmetics, yard clean up , holes in screens and fences etc.
A bit of house doctoring defo! I recall it being about 10 thou to buy, is it the same when you sell?
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:04 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

You might be asked for allowances by buyer to fix any problems ( cracks in driveway, painting touchups etc
I've never gotten my head around this.

if you want to buy a house with no probs, buy a new one.

If you're buying a 15 year old house, it stands to reason you're buying 15 years wear and tear also.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Yes, I have concerns already about the Realtor sharks circling. Kind of why I was worried about the other costs. It seemed to cost way more to buy here than the UK too- from what I've heard from my english friends.
If you're speaking about actual housing costs, I think we get more house for our money here except in the cities like NY, LA, SF. Other charges at closing that can't be avoided by the buyer are state and local taxes, origination fees for the loan, homeowners insurance, title search and a few other intangibles.These charges should represent between 1.5 and 3% of the LOAN amount not the sale price. That is not to say there aren't costs with a cash sale but if you can eliminate costs associated with borrowing, you're much better off.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:12 am

If you're speaking about actual housing costs, I think we get more house for our money here except in the cities like NY, LA, SF. Other charges at closing that can't be avoided by the buyer are state and local taxes, origination fees for the loan, homeowners insurance, title search and a few other intangibles.These charges should represent between 1.5 and 3% of the LOAN amount not the sale price. That is not to say there aren't costs with a cash sale but if you can eliminate costs associated with borrowing, you're much better off.

If it's 1-3% of the loan amount when you buy is there a formula to work out the costs when you sell? (i.e no loan amount is involved but perhaps sales price?)
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

A bit of house doctoring defo! I recall it being about 10 thou to buy, is it the same when you sell?
I can only speak for GA, but if you had $10,000 in costs for buying a house here you will have a house worth $750,000 borrowing most of it. Best value in mortgages is to get a 15 year term on a conventional loan where you put down at least 20% of the sales price. You'll begin paying off the principal with the first payment and your equity grows steadily each month.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:14 am

I can only speak for GA, but if you had $10,000 in costs for buying a house here you will have a house worth $750,000 borrowing most of it. Best value in mortgages is to get a 15 year term on a conventional loan where you put down at least 20% of the sales price. You'll begin paying off the principal with the first payment and your equity grows steadily each month.
I think you may be misunderstanding the purpose of this thread I want to sell my US house. I do not want to buy a US house.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

If it's 1-3% of the loan amount when you buy is there a formula to work out the costs when you sell? (i.e no loan amount is involved but perhaps sales price?)
If you use a full service Realtor, you'll pay 6 - 7% in commission . Say you're selling for $400,000. Allow $24,000 (6%) for commission. Now you're at $376,000. If there are no allowances, no share of closing costs you'll leave the closing table with about $374 - $375,000
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:21 am

If you use a full service Realtor, you'll pay 6 - 7% in commission . Say you're selling for $400,000. Allow $24,000 (6%) for commission. Now you're at $376,000. If there are no allowances, no share of closing costs you'll leave the closing table with about $374 - $375,000
You mean apart from realtor costs, if there are no buyer demands the costs could be 0?
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:22 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you may be misunderstanding the purpose of this thread I want to sell my US house. I do not want to buy a US house.
we've just sold a house and handed over a rather handsome 6% to the Realtors at closing

i think i'm right in saying the 6% is distributed evenly to your Realtor with the remaining 3% to your buyers Realtor.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit
we've just sold a house and handed over a rather handsome 6% to the Realtors at closing

i think i'm right in saying the 6% is distributed evenly to your Realtor with the remaining 3% to your buyers Realtor.
they really are sharks aren't they? were there other costs in addition to the realtors 6%? I don't know why but I have this idea that I will have to pay other fees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.