Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Closed UK accounts & FATCA

Closed UK accounts & FATCA

Old May 17th 2018, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Faery is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Closed UK accounts & FATCA

I closed one UK bank account in December 2017 and the other this April. I now have no money and no accounts in the UK. The UK bank has now sent me a letter asking me to send them a W-9 form and a signed declaration. I called the customer service line and was told I should ignore the letter as my accounts are now closed. I do not know if this is correct especially as customer service people usually have no clue. They don't seem to update or share information between departments and I have not received a letter confirming my account closures despite me asking several times for one. They just tell me yes, accounts are all closed and ignore any further letters. Does anyone know if I would still have to send a W-9? I just want to be sure I am doing what is legally required and then be done with it all once and for all. I will have to file one more F-BAR next year and then that is it!
Old May 17th 2018, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Closed UK accounts & FATCA

You will be reported on whether you reply or not. You may ignore the FATCA letter.
Old May 18th 2018, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
You will be reported on whether you reply or not. You may ignore the FATCA letter.
I agree, the bank will report your account balances whether or not you send in a W9. You are not breaking any law by not sending the bank a W9 and since you no longer have any accounts with them they can't exactly punish you.
Old May 18th 2018, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Yes closed accounts are reportable in the year that they are closed so both accounts will/may be reported for year 2017 and only the second one for 2018. Bear in mind that the threshold for FATCA is $50k so they may not even bother reporting the account if under $50k but they are trying to make all accounts compliant for audit. Filing deadline for the FI is May 31.
Old May 21st 2018, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Faery is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your replies. I just read that closed accounts are reportable and red-flagged if FATCA letter ignored so I just sent the W-9 to my last local UK branch.
Old May 21st 2018, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Faery
Thank you for your replies. I just read that closed accounts are reportable and red-flagged if FATCA letter ignored so I just sent the W-9 to my last local UK branch.
Your peace of mind is well worth the cost of the postage.