Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Clorox and washing

Wikiposts

Clorox and washing

Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clorox and washing

Originally Posted by TruBrit
there is no temp setting otherwise i would have tried it. it's a front loader maytag, 4yr old and was top of the line complete with all the whistles and bells except wash whites etc at a high temperature
The water heater can be adjusted, as some people keep it low so that children don't scald themselves and others to this to save money. You can adjust it there and then the water will be as hot as you want it.

From an old post on the forum:
...the temp is controlled by your water heater so can be as hot as you want. Our hot water comes out as hot as our water tank is set to (same as the baths/showers--it's all linked)--we adjusted this to be sure as it was set high enough for laundry/showers but not too hot (to conserve energy). Washing machines do not have thermostats to regulate water temperature. When you select "hot," most or all of the water will come from the hot water tap that the machine is connected to. When you select "warm," the machine will mix in water from the cold water tap in some pre-set proportion. When you select "cool," most of the water will come from the cold water tap, and when you select "cold," there probably won't be any hot water added to the mix at all.

What actual temperature each setting corresponds to would depend on what temperature your hot water heater is set at, what the average temperature of your cold water is, and what proportions your make and model of washer uses for each settings.

Last edited by jen_andreson; Nov 21st 2006 at 5:33 am.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

there is no temp setting otherwise i would have tried it. it's a front loader maytag, 4yr old and was top of the line complete with all the whistles and bells except wash whites etc at a high temperature
I've got the same machine. Doesn't even begin to compare with my old Hoover.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
What wrong with a bleedin $2 T shirt ... and throw it away at the end of the month ...
I've never seen you in a tee shirt...you're usually wearing a vest or your birthday suit.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:39 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've never seen you in a tee shirt...you're usually wearing a vest or your birthday suit.
never owned a vest ..it alway Tshirts
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ray
never owned a vest ..it alway Tshirts
Could have swore it was a vest...oh well just your birthday suit I guess.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:46 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Could have swore it was a vest...oh well just your birthday suit I guess.
Now its an electric blanket, hat and gloves ..........

Last edited by Ray; Nov 21st 2006 at 5:52 am.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I've got the same machine. Doesn't even begin to compare with my old Hoover.
Maytag only recently addressed a whole bunch of wrongness with their front loaders. Still wouldn't say they are great, but getting better.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:58 am
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Absolutely! And I think they should have Nanette Newman advertising it on the telly

I use walmarts own brand of dishwasher powder. $2/$3 for a box. Its the best I have used yet. No white scummy marks on my glasses. And everything comes out clean.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambuc
I use walmarts own brand of dishwasher powder. $2/$3 for a box. Its the best I have used yet. No white scummy marks on my glasses. And everything comes out clean.
So do I, but was to to come out with it on here LOL.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 6:16 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
The water heater can be adjusted, as some people keep it low so that children don't scald themselves and others to this to save money. You can adjust it there and then the water will be as hot as you want it.
ahhh tks for all that and yep it's been discussed on the forum before and yep i've looked into it all and our hot water is set as hot as it will go. next time (god forbid i'm still here for there to be a next time) i'll buy a washer that has it's own water heater as i have in the uk. when we moved here there was non available or so i was told and this lot didn't know what i was talking about however they are slowly becoming more popular so i gather.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 6:21 am
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
So do I, but was to to come out with it on here LOL.

Nothing to be about. More $ saved on shopping, means more $$ to spend at happy hour
Old Nov 21st 2006, 6:24 am
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

ahhh tks for all that and yep it's been discussed on the forum before and yep i've looked into it all and our hot water is set as hot as it will go. next time (god forbid i'm still here for there to be a next time) i'll buy a washer that has it's own water heater as i have in the uk. when we moved here there was non available or so i was told and this lot didn't know what i was talking about however they are slowly becoming more popular so i gather.
I think it has to do with the 110v AC. Try asking someone at home depot/lowes for an "electric shower"
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
I think it has to do with the 110v AC. Try asking someone at home depot/lowes for an "electric shower"
hehe
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:22 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dan_alford
lol
Old Nov 21st 2006, 10:33 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

didn't daz in the UK have bleach in it? so people did bleach their clothes sort of in the UK.
my new washer is supposed to heat the water if I remember. It has a sanitary wash (supposed to be 90) but as in UK always wash nearly everything in a 60 degree wash especially bed clothes etc to make sure any bed/dust mites etc are killed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.