Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Clorox and washing

Clorox and washing

Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:16 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clorox and washing

Originally Posted by gardnma
I do the washing on the weekends, its fascinating work and look forward to it all week long.
Last week I found 5 socks, two pairs of y fronts, a bra and a cat we thought we had lost.

On a more serious note, my Mrs once bought one of those "detergent free" oxy-clean, ball things in a wild economy drive. It was absolute rubbish and did not seem to clean anything, but did get smaller.

Right, back to nonsense.
4 pages of discussion on washing.
Its like the Oz threads.
No , the oz washing thread would be about how washing machines in the UK are going to the dogs due to imports(immigrants) and how they are so much better in OZ where they keep them in line etc etc.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You haven't seen mine.
aye, coats, there my thing...but i've only a small collection here, which my mother loves because she hasn't had to buy a coat in years as I left about 40 really nice ones behind *l*
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The top loaders are terrible on clothes...I used to wonder why I was getting little holes in the clothes. Thought it was moths! Then I got a front loader...hey presto no more holes.
aye, it's scary how much lint builds up in the dryers too...saying that, I never used a dryer back in blighty, but over here, you could clothe a small third world nation in the lint balls *lol*
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:19 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, coats, there my thing...but i've only a small collection here, which my mother loves because she hasn't had to buy a coat in years as I left about 40 really nice ones behind *l*
Bob is the Imelda Marcos of coats
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Bob is the Imelda Marcos of coats
If only I had her wallet and closet space *lol*

got a few pairs of shoes too, but nothing compared to her, or my coat collection
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ironporer
You might want to set your water heater to a higher setting- as US washers have no water heating component typically. If your WH is set at 200F, you will be washing in 200 degree water on the 'HOT' setting- though rinse etc are usually a mix of hot and cold..

there is no temp setting otherwise i would have tried it. it's a front loader maytag, 4yr old and was top of the line complete with all the whistles and bells except wash whites etc at a high temperature
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:50 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Clorox and washing

Originally Posted by mandpete
Everybody visiting us from the UK has to bring me as many boxes of Fairy tablets as they can fit in their luggage. I only use Fairy for my whites and bedding. My whites are now much whiter than when I used the US stuff, and the clothes are much softer.

Ha ha.....I bought a box of Fairy tablets last week in the Waitrose at Canary Wharf...needed to go to a laundrette - hadn't been in one for years, it was fun! The box wouldn't fit in my suitcase so I had to scatter the little foil packets around amongst my clothes.

I also bought a box of two Fairy laundry green soap bars....purely because I love and missed the smell of Fairy so much! I still remember when I was a little girl watching the TV cook Fanny Craddock using Fairy soap bars to get the dirt out of her husband's shirt collars on a TV advert....!

I wish you could buy Fairy dishwashing liquid here...I do have a dishwasher but some pans are too big to go in it.....just love the smell of it LOL!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Going slightly O/T: how many of you send your shirts/blouses out to the dry cleaners for them to launder for you? None of my neighbours will even think about laundering their own shirts and send them off to be cleaned for them - it's about $1 per shirt around here....
medium starch please at 89c a shirt...must admit i do like the starched shirts and they wear better during the day in the high humidity down here.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I wish you could buy Fairy dishwashing liquid here...I do have a dishwasher but some pans are too big to go in it.....just love the smell of it LOL!
you tried seventh generation stuff or the planet natural stuff?

That's lovely, lasts for ages too.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
medium starch please at 89c a shirt...must admit i do like the starched shirts and they wear better during the day in the high humidity down here.
What wrong with a bleedin $2 T shirt ... and throw it away at the end of the month ...
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha.....

Absolutely! And I think they should have Nanette Newman advertising it on the telly
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
What wrong with a bleedin $2 T shirt ... and throw it away at the end of the month ...

lol nowt, just don't think the company would go along with that for work
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:19 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
there is no temp setting otherwise i would have tried it. it's a front loader maytag, 4yr old and was top of the line complete with all the whistles and bells except wash whites etc at a high temperature
Every hot water heater has a temperature setting. I didn't mean the washer, but the water heater itself.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:21 pm
Slight chance of Showers

Originally Posted by Elvira
Absolutely! And I think they should have Nanette Newman advertising it on the telly
"I'm Nanette Newman and I approve this message"
Old Nov 21st 2006, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha.....I bought a box of Fairy tablets last week in the Waitrose at Canary Wharf...needed to go to a laundrette - hadn't been in one for years, it was fun! The box wouldn't fit in my suitcase so I had to scatter the little foil packets around amongst my clothes.

I also bought a box of two Fairy laundry green soap bars....purely because I love and missed the smell of Fairy so much! I still remember when I was a little girl watching the TV cook Fanny Craddock using Fairy soap bars to get the dirt out of her husband's shirt collars on a TV advert....!

Have you tried Dawn (washing up liquid) and Cascade (dishwasher)? They are the same as Fairy. (Just as Tide is Ariel, but modified for US water, scent preferences).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.