Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Clorox and washing

Clorox and washing

Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clorox and washing

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I have noticed here that even when doing a cold wash with minimal detergent that my clothes are fading far faster than they ever did at home.
They also come out of the machine looking half grey and take ages to come back to their normal colour.

Oh, and fabric softener here does stain clothes if you splash it on them when they are dry - I have no idea wtf they have in it to achieve that but its impressive none the less.

(Can't believe I have posted on this thread, but hey-ho)
Niether can I, all this about washing clothes,next we'll be having a thread on what colour Marigolds are worn when doing the dishes(Sorry I forgot you all have dishwashers over there)But the wife has found it very informative TA
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
you haven't seen the amount of coats I have *lol*

You haven't seen mine.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:39 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

Half the problem here is the stupid washing machines, I like the top loaders cos you can throw in that sock that always seems to excape on the way down to the machine, but I am gonna go back to a front loader next time.

The agitator wears the clothes and I believe that because they are just being moved from side to side as opposed to tumbling around and around the clothes are not being washed properly.

I also use Vinegar as a fabric softener. Costco sell a big bottle of it for about $2.50. You would be amazed at what you can use vinegar for
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Niether can I, all this about washing clothes,next we'll be having a thread on what colour Marigolds are worn when doing the dishes(Sorry I forgot you all have dishwashers over there)But the wife has found it very informative TA
Hey just wait until you move here. There's lots and lots of little everyday things you don't think twice about when you live in the UK but when you move to another country...it's all different. One example is cuts of meat...no rump, stewing, topside here...no grill or grilling either it's broil. Then there's the choice...you go to buy something simple and there's about a hundred different choices. Just you wait!!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sambuc
Half the problem here is the stupid washing machines, I like the top loaders cos you can throw in that sock that always seems to excape on the way down to the machine, but I am gonna go back to a front loader next time.

The agitator wears the clothes and I believe that because they are just being moved from side to side as opposed to tumbling around and around the clothes are not being washed properly.

I also use Vinegar as a fabric softener. Costco sell a big bottle of it for about $2.50. You would be amazed at what you can use vinegar for
The top loaders are terrible on clothes...I used to wonder why I was getting little holes in the clothes. Thought it was moths! Then I got a front loader...hey presto no more holes.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Clorox and washing

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hey just wait until you move here. There's lots and lots of little everyday things you don't think twice about when you live in the UK but when you move to another country...it's all different. One example is cuts of meat...no rump, stewing, topside here...no grill or grilling either it's broil. Then there's the choice...you go to buy something simple and there's about a hundred different choices. Just you wait!!
Can't wait, that the problem, but Yes, I know its very ,very different in many, many ways.that's why we appreciate your ideas,comments and suggestions.I'm not creeping when I say I take note of every item. Keep em coming,TA
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You can pretty much tell somebody who has a top loader vs a front loader just by looking at their clothes. If you hold one up to the other there is a big difference. However, there are big differences between front loaders as well and they do sell a lot of dross ones here.

And on the subject of washing liquids and stuff, why is there such a lack of non-biological stuff here?
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts

And on the subject of washing liquids and stuff, why is there such a lack of non-biological stuff here?
Non-biologicals are for pussies - 'mericans like to kiss @$$!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:54 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You can pretty much tell somebody who has a top loader vs a front loader just by looking at their clothes. If you hold one up to the other there is a big difference. However, there are big differences between front loaders as well and they do sell a lot of dross ones here.

To keep allergy Doctors and pharmaceutical companies in business.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Rather than use Clorox I just use a scoop of Oxyclean when I wash sheets or for a very dirty wash.

Due to trial and error I've given up on using washing powder and just use liquid; I got fed up of having powder marks on my clothes.

For whites I use Costco's own "Kirkland" brand; I read a report in a US edition of Good Housekeeping that the results are better with this brand than with Tide.

For coloured clothes I use "Cheers" (I like to buy in Target when poss as it seems to be the only place where they have the 'clean linen' scent which reminds me of Ariel back home). For delicate and knitted things I use Woolite.

You are supposed to dilute fabric conditioner (in the US) according to the instruction on the lid of my washing machine ....I just use the ultra concentrated Downy undiluted and put it in one of those balls which you throw into the machine. No problems with staining.

Perhaps Dan you should start bitterly complaining about 'allergies' to the Clorox....you know how Americans worry about allergies LOL!

I have Egyptian cotton ones which get softer and softer the more you use them - they're lovely. However, this time of year when it's getting chilly I've now switched to flanelette (brushed cotton) sheets; I buy the Laura Ashley sets at places like Marshalls or Home Goods/TK Maxx for about $30 but Target sells these types of sheets too.

I've got one of those old-fashioned tubs with an adgitator (will replace it with a European style front-loader when we need to get a new one as they wash clothes much better).

I understand that white clothes/sheets get dingy here as they are not exposed to sunshine as it is rare for laundry to go on the line. I noticed this in Singapore; in the monsoon season you just had to dry everything in a dryer and it was noticeable when the sun hadn't been on the clothes to react with the detergent. I used to buy Napisan (imported from Oz) - which brightened clothes and was also a germicide which killed germs at 30c and originally made for santising nappies and bibs with food and baby sick on them....pity you can't get anything like that here really.

Going slightly O/T: how many of you send your shirts/blouses out to the dry cleaners for them to launder for you? None of my neighbours will even think about laundering their own shirts and send them off to be cleaned for them - it's about $1 per shirt around here....

Good reminder about Oxyclean--I couldn't remember the name of it. We used it in the UK and were happy that it's here too--works wonders.

We send my husbands shirts and some of mine out for launder and iron and pay $1 per shirt. It's very convenient as it saves ironing time, and we live about 2 streets over from the high street (dry cleaners, banks, etc).
Old Nov 21st 2006, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I have noticed here that even when doing a cold wash with minimal detergent that my clothes are fading far faster than they ever did at home.
They also come out of the machine looking half grey and take ages to come back to their normal colour.

Oh, and fabric softener here does stain clothes if you splash it on them when they are dry - I have no idea wtf they have in it to achieve that but its impressive none the less.

(Can't believe I have posted on this thread, but hey-ho)
You poor Lad I didn't know you had to wash your own clothes, I just get all motherly thinking about it
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
We have to share these house hold moments, it really helps rather than finding out the hard way
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Bastards. I finally found one that agreed with me and actually cleaned well but it's annoying to buy as hardly anyone stocks it. It was a tough few weeks when I moved here and then a tougher few months when we moved and bought a real washing machine.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Everybody visiting us from the UK has to bring me as many boxes of Fairy tablets as they can fit in their luggage. I only use Fairy for my whites and bedding. My whites are now much whiter than when I used the US stuff, and the clothes are much softer. I use All Pure and Clear for the rest of my washing and always use Snuggles regular (not concentrated) softener.

I tried using Clorox but the white socks started disintegrating very quickly. I also tried Oxyclean but everyone came out in a rash.

I would love a front loader but my laundry is upstairs and I'm frightened that the machine will start jumping about on a spin and damage the ceiling below.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 4:13 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

I do the washing on the weekends, its fascinating work and look forward to it all week long.
Last week I found 5 socks, two pairs of y fronts, a bra and a cat we thought we had lost.

On a more serious note, my Mrs once bought one of those "detergent free" oxy-clean, ball things in a wild economy drive. It was absolute rubbish and did not seem to clean anything, but did get smaller.

Right, back to nonsense.
4 pages of discussion on washing.
Its like the Oz threads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.