Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Clorox and washing

Clorox and washing

Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:08 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clorox and washing

Originally Posted by dan_alford
I keep trying to get them to use fabric softner, but as mentioned they seem to be brainwashed into thinking that fabric softner ruins clothes but bleach doesn't :scared:

This is absurd! Time to put your foot down - aren't you the Head of the Household?

Seriously: regular use of bleach is bad for clothes, and infinitely worse for the environment.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
This is absurd! Time to put your foot down - aren't you the Head of the Household?

Seriously: regular use of bleach is bad for clothes, and infinitely worse for the environment.
Not to mention the effect the fumes have on humans.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep trying to get them to use fabric softner, but as mentioned they seem to be brainwashed into thinking that fabric softner ruins clothes but bleach doesn't :scared:

have a sniff in the container containing the 'clorox ultimate care' next time you are in the grocery store...it's in a white plastic container and doesn't smell like clorox....let me know what you think and yep fabric softeners are not so good in the washers here.

when i was home in blighty last week i washed our sheets and hung them out to dry in the sunshine and hubs and i just rolled and laughed in bed that night smelling the sheets.....lol it's the simple things in life eh
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone seen the Clorox ad on TV? It makes you feel that you are sleeping in filthy sheets unless you wash them in Clorox. They show a magnified piece of material covered in bacteria...claiming that is what you are sleeping in if you do not use Clorox.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
700...can never remember buying sheets by the thread count in good old M & S. I couldn't believe the washing instructions the first time I washed them. I wanted a duvet cover and co-ordinating sheets...so my choice was limited.

I use Purex liquid and dryer sheets.
Blimey I bet they cost a bomb, lovely next to your skin though I go for 400. I know we all had to learn the thread count over here not unless you want hard arse cardboard feeling in bed. We were so spoilt with M&S.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

700...can never remember buying sheets by the thread count in good old M & S. I couldn't believe the washing instructions the first time I washed them. I wanted a duvet cover and co-ordinating sheets...so my choice was limited.

I use Purex liquid and dryer sheets.
i wash our 800 thread count on a warm wash and they have never run, maybe yours were faulty to begin with. i have some 700 and 400 and never had probs and never washed them in cold water.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
Blimey I bet they cost a bomb, lovely next to your skin though I go for 400. I know we all had to learn the thread count over here not unless you want hard arse cardboard feeling in bed. We were so spoilt with M&S.

marks or john lewis bedding is tops for me
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:19 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone seen the Clorox ad on TV? It makes you feel that you are sleeping in filthy sheets unless you wash them in Clorox. They show a magnified piece of material covered in bacteria...claiming that is what you are sleeping in if you do not use Clorox.
Yeah I have seen that commercial. Another great piece of advertising
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i wash our 800 thread count on a warm wash and they have never run, maybe yours were faulty to begin with. i have some 700 and 400 and never had probs and never washed them in cold water.

No I've been through 2 sets...both shrank. It says wash and dry cold on the washing instructions...how can you dry cold?? I used warm water to wash them...not hot.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:22 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

No I've been through 2 sets...both shrank. It says wash and dry cold on the washing instruction...how can you dry cold??

Washing line? Most us driers have a "no heat" option on them. They just tumble the sheets.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

No I've been through 2 sets...both shrank. It says wash and dry cold on the washing instruction...how can you dry cold??

dunno....are they the same brand? send a quick email to the company and tell them your probs.....also ask them what drying cold is
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Washing line? Most us driers have a "no heat" option on them. They just tumble the sheets.
Yes but tumbling them on cold doesn't dry them.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I have seen that commercial. Another great piece of advertising
And they believe what they see in ad's FFS no wonder them tacky shopping channels do so well over here
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not just the US but Canada as well. There it is called Javax as per my husband who after 8 years still calls it that.

BTW I would not do white clothes without using Clorox in the wash water. Clothes come out sparkling white with bleach and I have never smelled a clorox scent on the clothing afterwards. Perhaps your mil uses too much or doesn't rinse them properly.

As an experiment we did without bleach in the wash for two months. Hubby asked to please start using it again as his shirts were dhingy.

I have a question. My wife seems to think that sheets are not clean unless she adds some clorox to the water in the washing machine. I can't stand the smell of the damn stuff and she has cut back a lot. When we visited her Mother, the sheets she had on the bed stunk so much of clorox you could have probably operated on them or used them for sterile dressings.

Is this a US thing? I don't remember my mother using bleach on whites when she did the washing in the UK and I don't know of anyone there that does. They also have a thing against fabric softener saying that it stains clothes. This coming from the people who continue to strive to get all of their coloured sheets to white by copious use of clorox!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by TruBrit
dunno....are they the same brand? send a quick email to the company and tell them your probs.....also ask them what drying cold is
Yes they are the same brand. I haven't contacted the company because the care instructions state 'cold' wash and dry...I didn't wash them according to the instructions...so it's my fault.

How practical is bedding that has to be washed and dried cold?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.