Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Clorox and washing

Clorox and washing

Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:42 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clorox and washing

I have a question. My wife seems to think that sheets are not clean unless she adds some clorox to the water in the washing machine. I can't stand the smell of the damn stuff and she has cut back a lot. When we visited her Mother, the sheets she had on the bed stunk so much of clorox you could have probably operated on them or used them for sterile dressings.

Is this a US thing? I don't remember my mother using bleach on whites when she did the washing in the UK and I don't know of anyone there that does. They also have a thing against fabric softener saying that it stains clothes. This coming from the people who continue to strive to get all of their coloured sheets to white by copious use of clorox!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:46 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clorox and washing

Originally Posted by dan_alford
I have a question. My wife seems to think that sheets are not clean unless she adds some clorox to the water in the washing machine. I can't stand the smell of the damn stuff and she has cut back a lot. When we visited her Mother, the sheets she had on the bed stunk so much of clorox you could have probably operated on them or used them for sterile dressings.

Is this a US thing? I don't remember my mother using bleach on whites when she did the washing in the UK and I don't know of anyone there that does. They also have a thing against fabric softener saying that it stains clothes. This coming from the people who continue to strive to get all of their coloured sheets to white by copious use of clorox!
Definitely an American thing. You can also get nice smelly Clorox though, which is supposed to be safe for coloureds.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

lol the washing aint the same here as in good old blighty, machines don't seem to reach the high temps required to get ones whites white so they resort to using bleach .....maybe try a newish clorox it's called 'clorox ultimate care' and smells much better than the regular clorox. good luck
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:49 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Definitely an American thing. You can also get nice smelly Clorox though, which is supposed to be safe for coloureds.
Tried that one. Unfortunately it has to be the "guaranteed to kill every living thing within a one mile radius" variety for them to be happy.

They also say they like the smell of it. THe problem is they are so used to the smell they have to add so much of it to get it to smell for them. If I try to sleep in those sheets, instant sinus headache
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Clorox ads on TV claim sheets are not properly clean unless Clorox is used. You are correct...we didn't use bleach in washing like they do here. IMO UK washing machines do a much better job of washing the clothes and the temps are much hotter. I find that whites here go grey quickly and colours fade quicker than they did in the UK...I put it down to the heavily chlorinated water.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I use it on white towels & sock's, but thats only because my bloody machine dose not have a boil wash As for sheet's there changed once a week, hot wash is all I can do, there all coloured, so no bleach adding
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
I use it on white towels & sock's, but thats only because my bloody machine dose not have a boil wash As for sheet's there changed once a week, hot wash is all I can do, there all coloured, so no bleach adding
My sheets have to be washed in cold water...tumble dry on cold too. I tried warm water and they shrank.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:54 pm
Slight chance of Showers

Like I mentioned, we used to have coloured sheets
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I don't use Chlorox and the sheets still fade...along with everything else. When we fill the bath the water is blue and you can smell the chlorine...no wonder everything fades.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My sheets have to be washed in cold water...tumble dry on cold too. I tried warm water and they shrank.
What thread count are they? never shrunk mine, I just miss the smell of comfort on them, I'm forever trying new fabric softener cloths, but nothing is ever as good, at the moment it tends to be Snuggles.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh dear, so they are all pastel shads now are they
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:01 pm
Slight chance of Showers

What thread count are they? never shrunk mine, I just miss the smell of comfort on them, I'm forever trying new fabric softener cloths, but nothing is ever as good, at the moment it tends to be Snuggles.
I keep trying to get them to use fabric softner, but as mentioned they seem to be brainwashed into thinking that fabric softner ruins clothes but bleach doesn't :scared:
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:02 pm
Slight chance of Showers

Oh dear, so they are all pastel shads now are they
With white polka dot pattern

We were out shopping somewhere and wife saw some sheets with a splotchy white pattern. I couldn't resist. "Look hunni, these have been pre-cloroxed!". She wasn't amused.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

700...can never remember buying sheets by the thread count in good old M & S. I couldn't believe the washing instructions the first time I washed them. I wanted a duvet cover and co-ordinating sheets...so my choice was limited.

I use Purex liquid and dryer sheets.
Old Nov 21st 2006, 2:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

With white polka dot pattern

We were out shopping somewhere and wife saw some sheets with a splotchy white pattern. I couldn't resist. "Look hunni, these have been pre-cloroxed!". She wasn't amused.

You're into 'hunni' I see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.