Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Clearwater- heaven or hell?

Clearwater- heaven or hell?

Old Oct 21st 2003, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

DanB is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Clearwater- heaven or hell?

I spent sometime in Clearwater 2 years ago on hols and just fell in love with the place- sunshine, beach , sunshine, bars IHOP etc.
I know there are some ex-pats living around the area because I spoke to a few when watching the England-Germany world cup qualifier (finished 1-5 in case you wondered (I still get a tingly feeling in my stomach when I think about it))

Anyway I would really love to hear from anyone living around this area who has a young family like mine (2 girls five and six) and have recently emmigrated. Was I looking at it through holiday specs and just seeing the good bits? Is the schooling good, whats the crime like, has your quality of life improved etc....

We would be really grateful for any help/advice.

England, I'm afraid seems to be losing its appeal and its time to move onto BIGGER and BETTER things.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Unhappy

I guess there is no expats in Clearwater?

Are there any in florida area that can give any advice about taking a young family out there to live?

Thanks

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 6:17 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by DanB
I guess there is no expats in Clearwater?

Are there any in florida area that can give any advice about taking a young family out there to live?

Thanks
There are loads of ex-pats in Florida (my dad for one) ... It's not my cup of tea to live there... we bought a house in Daytona a few years back but sold it before moving, opting to stay in Connecticut!

Look into employment first (Florida is notoriously low in pay scales) -- But, your daughters would probably be happy to live there.

can't make up your mind for you mate... nothing ventured, nothing gained... but as always... Do your homework!
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice

Love your picture, is that really you?
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 6:33 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Tallahassee about 100 or so miles North of Clearwater.
But I have friends who live down that way.
We all love it.
The schools depends on your exact location.
For instance if you live on the South side of my town the schools are really bad, some are actually failing.
I found it very difficult to comprehend when I first moved here.
Basically, it's black and white. South side is black the North is white.
I would guess it's a form of instatutionalized racism. We have our schools, churches ect they have theirs.

When we first came her we were in Miami, now that was bad. We felt so out of place, everything was too fast and we couldn't understand the locals. They all spoke Spanish.
I'm far too old to learn a new language. So we moved up here to Tally.
It's a wonderful place to raise a family but as the lady says, wages are low. For instance my wife is a pediatric intensive care nurse with 18 years experiance but only makes $25 per hr. Up North she could be making $80 doing the same job.
Of course a house up there would cost us a few hundred thousand whereas here we only paid $110K for a 4 bedroom, double garage, single level home with land and a pool.

So take your pick.

By the way, how do you intend to get a visa ect? Are one of you American?
It can be very difficult under other circumstances.
All the best though.

Last edited by excpomea; Oct 22nd 2003 at 7:53 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 7:02 pm

Thanks for the advice

Love your picture, is that really you?
What picture? If you mean the pink fluffy slippers one no... on the Brigie page, Yes!
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 7:35 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clearwater- heaven or hell?

I spent sometime in Clearwater 2 years ago on hols and just fell in love with the place- sunshine, beach , sunshine, bars IHOP etc.
I know there are some ex-pats living around the area because I spoke to a few when watching the England-Germany world cup qualifier (finished 1-5 in case you wondered (I still get a tingly feeling in my stomach when I think about it))

Anyway I would really love to hear from anyone living around this area who has a young family like mine (2 girls five and six) and have recently emmigrated. Was I looking at it through holiday specs and just seeing the good bits? Is the schooling good, whats the crime like, has your quality of life improved etc....

We would be really grateful for any help/advice.

England, I'm afraid seems to be losing its appeal and its time to move onto BIGGER and BETTER things.
Don't wish to "rain on your parade" but are you clear about how you and your family will legally immigrate to the US in general?

Knowing your eligibility and how to attain the precious visa is as important as knowing where you'd live (also gives you a great introduction to US government bureaucracy).

NC Penguin
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 8:01 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

I live in Clearwater, but on the Bayside, not the beaches side, and its just fine. A few Brit bars scattered about, the Rose and Crown and Red Lion being ones that I've been to.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Don't wish to "rain on your parade" but are you clear about how you and your family will legally immigrate to the US in general?

Knowing your eligibility and how to attain the precious visa is as important as knowing where you'd live (also gives you a great introduction to US government bureaucracy).

NC Penguin

We have friends who emmigrated to Chicago last year after waiting just over 3 years for a visa!! So we know these things take time (and money) Maybe its just a dream who knows.

We both have pretty good jobs ( long hours but good pay) but in return it feels like we are missing out living!!

Perhaps its an early midlife crisis - I will be 30 in April - but we feel there has to be more to life than slogging your guts out for 47 weeks of the year and having a few weeks relaxing.
I'm not saying life anywhere else would be easy but it has be more interesting, more enjoyable..?

Everyone we speak to who has left the UK speak so highly about quality of life (we have friends in France, America, Oz and NZ) that everything is a lot slower, they have time to enjoy life rather than watch it fly past?
Again perhaps its just us, maybe America isnt right for us but I cant wait to find out.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 10:15 pm

I say go for it... Something must be telling you it's the right thing to do! Keep us updated though!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:12 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

We have friends who emmigrated to Chicago last year after waiting just over 3 years for a visa!! So we know these things take time (and money) Maybe its just a dream who knows.

We both have pretty good jobs ( long hours but good pay) but in return it feels like we are missing out living!!

Perhaps its an early midlife crisis - I will be 30 in April - but we feel there has to be more to life than slogging your guts out for 47 weeks of the year and having a few weeks relaxing.
I'm not saying life anywhere else would be easy but it has be more interesting, more enjoyable..?

Everyone we speak to who has left the UK speak so highly about quality of life (we have friends in France, America, Oz and NZ) that everything is a lot slower, they have time to enjoy life rather than watch it fly past?
Again perhaps its just us, maybe America isnt right for us but I cant wait to find out.
Ermm.......you do realise you're most likely end up working 50 weeks a year with just a handful of public holidays thrown in?
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:40 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Ermm.......you do realise you're most likely end up working 50 weeks a year with just a handful of public holidays thrown in?

LOL your right there, I have to work much longer hrs here than I ever had to in the UK.
Mind you we have a holiday for every possible reason under the sun.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 4:17 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

[Perhaps its an early midlife crisis - I will be 30 in April - but we feel there has to be more to life than slogging your guts out for 47 weeks of the year and having a few weeks relaxing.
Hi Dan....Jeez your 30...I have socks older than you .. Yes I think you have the rose colored specs on...very common with vacationers....believe me you would work harder and for longer hours here than you ever will in the UK...Christmas is one day off thats it...And as a previous poster said Florida is one of the lowest paying States....I don't know what you visited on your trip here, touristy places no doubt...Thats not Florida...On your next trip take a drive away from those places go to the back streets of Clearwater and St Petes...Your eyes will be opened...But its a good dream..
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:17 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>

Life is what you make it. Leaving the UK for another country is one way to go but you have to start from scratch and since you have children, you have to put their considerations very high in your priorities about whether/when/where to move to.

As other posters have noted, Americans work longer hours than the British and generally have fewer paid vacations (these aren't even mandatory). Factor this in when you are looking for a better quality of life. This'll mean less time with your family, friends and just simply time for yourself.

See my comments in the paragraph above. You have to compare like with like. Do you know what people in your industry earn in the US? What about in Florida itself? Have you done any research into commuting times in Florida?

NC Penguin

<<snip>>
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:43 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a slower paced life Dan it might be a better idea to move to Oz or New Zealand, the U.S is very faced paced more so than England. Florida is a great state I love it there, we have been on holiday there 3 times and my wife and I always talk about moving there. We live in Texas its a 12 hour drive to the Florida pan handle (northwest part) so that way we have a good standard of living, excellent airports, cheap fuel etc and very cheap houses, maybe you should think of living in other states and just go to Florida on vacation??? just a thought.

I lived in Perth (Oz) for a year, its VERY laid back and the cleanest city I've ever been too, but from my understanding the economy is bad partically with employment etc. One thing about the Aussies....Leisure 1ST - work 2nd.

In the last year I have had 3 days vacation (unpaid) and a few bank holidays...BUT the climate here is great so we spend alot of time on the lake etc on the weekends enjoying time with the family, grilling out and drinking plenty of fluids

We are the same age, and IF you want a change now is the time to do it otherwise it will be another case of "I wish I had"...

Go for it mate!