Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Classic Brit Films

Classic Brit Films

Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:34 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Classic Brit Films

My missus is an Anglophile, and she knows Brit culture very well, her knowledge of British history is superior to mine.

She does however have a blind spot in older films, she knows lots of stuff from the last twenty years or so, (she has heard of, but not see any Derek Jarman films) but she is completely clueless on the classics.

I am planing a Classic Brit Movie Household Festival, to educate her, and let me see if any of these films have stood the test of time, and are as good as I remember them.

Here is my list thus far, (all to be pre 1970) any additions to show to a yank? any comments of how well they have stood the time test, if you have seen any of them recently.

Four Feathers
Third Man
Brief Encounter
Whiskey Galore
Black Narcissus
The Man in the White Suit
Passport to Pimlico

I have already introduced her to
39 Steps
Kes
Italian Job
The Long Good Friday
The Servant
Carry on up the Khyber
The Wicker Man
The man Who Would be King
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:52 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Classic Brit Films

On The Buses
Battle of Britain
Hammer House of Horror
The story about the milkman who ran the Olympic marathon
Get Carter
Zulu (stop chucking those bluhhy spears at me)
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

A Matter Of Life And Death - required viewing for any US/UK couple I'd say

and anything else by Powell and Pressburger for that matter. Netflix has quite a good selection on streaming.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:04 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
On The Buses
Battle of Britain
Hammer House of Horror
The story about the milkman who ran the Olympic marathon
Get Carter
Zulu (stop chucking those bluhhy spears at me)
"Battle of Britain" and "Zulu", definitely should be on the list, as should "Ice Cold in Alex" (and maybe "The Dam Busters")
I will have to pick out one or two Hammer Horrors.

I'll give "On the Buses" a miss.
"Get Carter" yes for me, not sure it is to the missuses taste.
I have not seen "The Games" myself, which I think is the Olympic film.

Thanks for the contribution.

Originally Posted by rpjs
A Matter Of Life And Death - required viewing for any US/UK couple I'd say

and anything else by Powell and Pressburger for that matter. Netflix has quite a good selection on streaming.
"A Matter Of Life And Death" - Absolutely

Last edited by kimilseung; Feb 13th 2012 at 7:11 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Add more of the Carry On movies.

Can't go wrong with the war flicks, as mentioned, Battle of Britain and Zulu.

If you're going Getting Carter, you've got to add Ipcress File

Lawrence of Arabia?

Chariots of Fire?
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

An absolute MUST in any list...

Bridge on the River Kwai.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Sean of the Dead one of the best zombie movies ever
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:09 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by Bob
Add more of the Carry On movies.

Can't go wrong with the war flicks, as mentioned, Battle of Britain and Zulu.

If you're going Getting Carter, you've got to add Ipcress File

Lawrence of Arabia?

Chariots of Fire?
Carry On films are so hit and miss, I think Khyber is the only one that is a real classic, maybe I will add on "Carry on Cleo"

"Lawrence of Arabia" that is one that got under the American cultural embargo, she loves that (as does everyone who has seen it. Good choice.
"Chariots of Fire" a bit late for the years of the cultural embargo, she has seen that one

Originally Posted by Guindalf
An absolute MUST in any list...

Bridge on the River Kwai.
"Bridge on the River Kwai" The missus has heard of that one, and has asked that I get it for her, Its on the NAS.

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Sean of the Dead one of the best zombie movies ever
A classic no doubt. But way after the years of the end of the cultural embargo. I can only assume that there was a secret cultural embargo on British movies for decades, to protect Hollywood. As so many Americans do not seem to know the older classic Brit films. They seem quite conversant with films from more recent decades.

Last edited by kimilseung; Feb 13th 2012 at 8:14 pm. Reason: clean up quotes
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Full Monty
Brassed Off
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
This Sporting Life
any version of Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights (Larry Olivier did look good in britches and boots, though they took awful liberties with the story . . . )
A Passage to India and the serial of Jewel in the Crown (to show a very unpleasant side . . . )
Tom Jones
The Go-Between
Women in Love
something from an Agatha Christie book
Far from the Madding Crowd

Hope it's going to be a very long festival! Enjoy!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:20 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Alfie Starring Michael Caine.
St Trinians films
Carry on Doctor
What about the old Frankenstein and Dracula films Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee ones.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:26 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Full Monty
Brassed Off
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
This Sporting Life
any version of Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights (Larry Olivier did look good in britches and boots, though they took awful liberties with the story . . . )
A Passage to India and the serial of Jewel in the Crown (to show a very unpleasant side . . . )
Tom Jones
The Go-Between
Women in Love
something from an Agatha Christie book
Far from the Madding Crowd

Hope it's going to be a very long festival! Enjoy!
There are a few in there, that I would not pick, and have not seen, and so did not consider; but might be to the taste of the other half.

I am not sure how the 'kitchen sink' genre will go down, you mention a couple, it make me think I could try "A Taste of Honey" and see how she likes that.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:31 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung

I am not sure how the 'kitchen sink' genre will go down, you mention a couple, it make me think I could try "A Taste of Honey" and see how she likes that.
You got it -- big "kitchen sink" fan here! Love those sixties films with Alan Bates, Albert Finney, Richard Harris. Also, how about Blow Up, with Vanessa Redgrave and David Hemmings -- the swinging sixties genre. And, of course, Hard Day's Night . . .
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Here is my list thus far, (all to be pre 1970) any additions to show to a yank?
I bet your missus is watching Downton Abbey, mine is. Received an Alec Guinness Collection for Christmas, just watched the Lavender Hill Mob, some great location shots of 1950's postwar London, the slapstick farce in the police college was a bit too keystone cops for my taste, but the scenes in Paris are a joy and the passport/customs control checks Guinness and Holloway must endure when they return to England are amusing compared with today's security theatre.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:39 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

You need to add some Quatermass to your list.
Clockwork Orange
Quadrophenia
Withnail and I
Goodbye Mr. Chips
Billy Liar
if....
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh you already have some really good ones.

If you want another Carry On, which I don't think you do Carry on Screaming is one of my faves.

Whistle Down the Wind

Kind Hearts and Coronets

Heavens Above!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.