British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/class-2-ni-what-about-us-poor-expats-paying-voluntary-contributions-874408/)

morpeth Jan 14th 2017 9:41 am

re: Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12030326)
If you have someone you can trust in the UK maybe you could setup direct debit using their account and pay directly into that persons account. Their account details are less likely to change and HMRC will pull the payment which may be safer.

I pay Class 3 contributions, I called up and they said that to make payments I needed a reference number for any particular year, but past years if not making a full payment per year, I would have to write to them to make sure payments applied, but current year payments can be made weekly. I had calculated the amounts I had to pay for gap years, then just set up standing order to pay over next few years- but I used reference number from last bill I received- now they say that only applies to particular year. Are they correct for every particular year a difference reference number required ?

drhewitt Mar 16th 2017 3:42 pm

I just got my 2017/2018 NIC statement.

I pay Class 2 NICs. They've gone up by a few pence each week.

There was nothing on the form indicating Class 2 would be abolished next April.

mrken30 Mar 16th 2017 3:43 pm

I hear they have just reversed the NI changes that were introduced in the budget. No idea if this will affect expats.

drhewitt Mar 16th 2017 3:43 pm

I paid a lump sum of six years for Class 2 but I can't make payments for tax years 2001-2005. I don't see why they can't allow it. What is the reasoning behind the 6 year lookback?

drhewitt Mar 16th 2017 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12206147)
I hear they have just reversed the NI changes that were introduced in the budget. No idea if this will affect expats.

I think this is just reversing Hammond's NIC increase and has nothing to do with abolishing Class 2 NIC

nun Mar 16th 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by drhewitt (Post 12206151)
I think this is just reversing Hammond's NIC increase and has nothing to do with abolishing Class 2 NIC

Yes. Class 2 NI was abolished by Osborne. It will be gone April 2018 and I assume that expats will then pay Class 3 voluntary NI.

Pulaski Mar 16th 2017 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12206147)

Do you realise that most of the sticks you pick up have another end? :unsure:

Giantaxe Mar 16th 2017 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 12206212)
Yes. Class 2 NI was abolished by Osborne. It will be gone April 2018 and I assume that expats will then pay Class 3 voluntary NI.

I assume that too although I have yet to see anything that formally states it (?).

tbm Mar 19th 2017 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12206351)
I assume that too although I have yet to see anything that formally states it (?).

If you go back one page and look at post #73, you'll see me quoting a government document about NIC 3 for people overseas.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5.../#post12151171

Isthisyourball Mar 19th 2017 9:55 pm

Britishexpats.com quoted in Alan Partridge-esque headlined article... It did sound like an amazing deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/mar/18/national-insurance-self-employed-400pc-more-contributions

rpjs Mar 19th 2017 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12151411)
It used to be an "excellent" deal, now it's just a "great" deal.

That just got quoted in the Guardian, Pulaski

drhewitt May 5th 2017 11:54 am

I wrote to HMRC and this was their reply....

Thank you for contacting HMRC Residency.

The Government is currently proposing to abolish Class 2 NICs for self employed people from April 2018. This means that for some customers who previously paid voluntary Class 2 NICs or a special rate of Class 2 NICs this option will no longer be available. To protect benefit entitlement they may need to consider paying Class 3 NICs. Further information will be provided on Gov.uk as it becomes available".

drhewitt May 5th 2017 11:58 am

If we have to pay more for Class 3 we will lose the benefits associated with Class 2 NICs.

mrken30 May 5th 2017 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by drhewitt (Post 12245622)
If we have to pay more for Class 3 we will lose the benefits associated with Class 2 NICs.

And the Government is allowed to move the goal posts on when you can start claiming. So some people will get extra years of payments for the same cost.

https://www.financialadvice.co.uk/ne...0-by-2050.html

Pulaski May 5th 2017 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by drhewitt (Post 12245622)

I am not sure what you mean by that? :confused: Aren't they just two different tariffs for buying NI contributions?